• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Foxtail

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Game looks really pretty, and it is now in GOG/Steam early access.

http://www.foxtailgame.com/

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Looks like great oldschool fun Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I tried it today. It’s only the first episode, but I’m not interested in future episodes. It was a huge disappointment for me. Just running errands for two people foxes. Walking around to find stuff, walking and more walking. The atmosphere is childish but I bet children playing this game would be bored in no time - no story. Puzzles blah. At some point I got really stuck and watched a youtube wt. So I should have used an object in that particular spot that I’d already used on something else. What?? The time-honored strategy of using-everything-on-everything didn’t reveal anything and if there’s an obscure second solution to this particular problem I haven’t found it. Might be a bug… who cares.

Unfinished.

EDIT: I was told by the developers that it’s not a bug and there is indeed a second solution.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t know why anyone would want to play an “early access” unfinished game.

Until a game is completed, I’m not interested in touching it. Period.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 04 March 2018 08:40 PM

I don’t know why anyone would want to play an “early access” unfinished game.

Until a game is completed, I’m not interested in touching it. Period.

Completed or uncompleted, makes no difference for FoxTail. It’s not a good or interesting game.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

I really enjoyed it.  The game definitely sets you free without much direction or hints in a very old-fashioned way, but it all made sense and was beatable.  Probably too hard for a lot of it’s audience (so it might bomb), but I thought it was an interesting twist on the Kyrandia-style puzzles, with lots of nice touches and red-herrings.  Hope they finish it.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

I really like the look of this game, but for the life of me I don’t understand (from a player point of view) why anyone would want to have an Early Access traditional pointandclick.  (I actually went to buy it until I saw it was Early Access).

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

CaptainD - 05 March 2018 04:11 AM

I really like the look of this game, but for the life of me I don’t understand (from a player point of view) why anyone would want to have an Early Access traditional pointandclick.

It’s very useful from a developer’s point of view - free betatesting!

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 05 March 2018 04:16 AM
CaptainD - 05 March 2018 04:11 AM

I really like the look of this game, but for the life of me I don’t understand (from a player point of view) why anyone would want to have an Early Access traditional pointandclick.

It’s very useful from a developer’s point of view - free betatesting!

Very true… and for some types of game I can see the appeal of that from the player’s angle too, influencing future development, giving ideas for content, learning how to get a headstart on things when the full game is released (especially for MMOs) - but in terms of a p&c I just can’t get my head round it!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

jfrisby - 04 March 2018 10:17 PM

I really enjoyed it.  The game definitely sets you free without much direction or hints in a very old-fashioned way, but it all made sense and was beatable.  Probably too hard for a lot of it’s audience (so it might bomb), but I thought it was an interesting twist on the Kyrandia-style puzzles, with lots of nice touches and red-herrings.  Hope they finish it.

Well, it seems the overwhelming majority agrees with you. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw the rating at GOG: 4.5 stars. That didn’t stop me from giving it 2 stars and writing a negative review. I honestly don’t understand what people find so enjoyable in the game. I’m not a big fan of the Kyrandia trilogy either, but it’s way, way better than FoxTail.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I’ve had my eye on this one for a while since I love the look of it and the character animation is a clear cut above most retro style indie releases.

I didn’t hate it but I was left disappointed. Methodically paced would be putting it lightly. Just as soon as you’re done with one overly long fetch quest… the game sends you right back out to do another. No new environments, no new characters, nothing. I’m reticent to say poor pacing because the term “pacing” implies there’s movement at all.

There’s dull whispers of a plot slowly taking shape in the background of your fetch questing. Some of it’s intriguing but not enough to hook me. The characters were mostly serviceable but bland.

Visual charm and the appeal of exploring a fresh environment pulled me through to the end of the first fetch quest. But another one? Really? Right back out for another one?

Also moments like having to drop your magnet down a knothole to retrieve that missing lock piece just suck. I’m fine with challenge. But stuff like that is just walk-through bait. Unless I missed it, the game does nothing to telegraph that solution. There’s actually good reason to think nothing else would be in that tree. 

I was really hyped for Foxtail before playing this 1st chapter. Now I’m on the fence about playing the rest of it. I’ll most likely still give it a shot… but I sure hope they pick up the pace. It’d really suck if this was “fetching shit for my grandma: the game.”

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Welcome to the forums, PlanetX.

Please use spoiler tags when discussing specific puzzles in a game. Like this: [ spoiler ]...[ /spoiler ] withouth the spaces I added.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Karlok - 07 March 2018 11:47 AM

Welcome to the forums, PlanetX.

Please use spoiler tags when discussing specific puzzles in a game. Like this: [ spoiler ]...[ /spoiler ] withouth the spaces I added.

Thanks dude, I’ll edit my post right away.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finally played through the chapter. Excellent game, delivers exactly what the devs promised - a fairy tale heavily inspired by The Legend of Kyrandia and The Tale of the Fox. I was always skeptical about fan projects that listed Kyrandia among their influences - one would require some really good pixel art and animation skills to deliver the same kind of quality. Foxtail devs are that skillful, the game looks fantastic and comes as the closest thing to Kyrandia 1 and 2 (the 3rd game was pre-rendered and ugly).

The gameplay is also very similar. There are both logical and tricky solutions that require experimenting with environment and inventory, but if you played Kyrandia, you know what to expect. The pace was kind of slow with too many fetch quests, I agree on that. I also wish you could die from time to time (which would add to the sense of danger and nostalgia), but it’s not a finished game anyway. They already say that some things will be changed in the final release, including puzzles. For my money it’s definitely a win.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Good to have your viewpoint Doom!  I still like the look of the game overall but think I’ll wait to see how it develops for a while longer.

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2018-02-14

PM

The pixel art of this game sure look gorgeous, though I usually don’t bother with early-access games, I prefer to wait and see how the finished product turns out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top