• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Was the last decade too oppressed/disparaged?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2018 08:14 PM

Yes, my bad, I didn’t mean to say there were no playthroughs at all. Just very few compared to TWAU, Firewatch, etcetera. And your links are youtube. When I click for instance on Xing in twitch I get 27 followers, but no clips, no recent videos. Death Gate has 32 followers and 1 video. The Wolf Among Us has 14,433 followers and God knows how many videos.

yes agree, not to mention any TTG new release have almost 50+ streamers on PS4 stream first week
And later you can always find someone playing ttg or walking sims

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2018 09:51 AM

so instead of exploding the post with 80 good of the above average games, i took 40, and seriously i didn’t choose them carefully after the effort of searching the decade and changing my to post a bit of a smaller number so the eyes can easily work them out.

but i still have the text file with all the games i gathered; the 80s and 2002-2003 has a good number of good games.

(2002) Syberia - Rhem - Harvest - Dark Fall

2003 The Black Mirror - Journey to the Centre of the Earth -Samorost -5 Days a Stranger -Agon1 and 2

That leaves 40 minus 10 = 30 more games for the years 2004-2010.
I rest my case.

what does this edited new part means, (i just noticed it) why don’t try to keep in mind since you know Advie very well than anyone despite of our flame to talk to me easy english

if i have to guess you standing behind the point that the 2nd part of the decade is what worth mentioning Jackal Idea which i agreeee, but its a Decade! how/what ever we do. its a one unit! like a game, doesn’t matter which part was good or bad, we look at it in as a whole, as we are going to look one day at 2010s as a whole!

but even this or that does not explain “That leaves 40 minus 10 = 30 “,
so i assume my guess must be wrong!!

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Can we just agree that 1996-2005 as a decade sucked?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 27 January 2018 04:51 AM

Can we just agree that 1996-2005 as a decade sucked?

HCoD are you tripping?  Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, I do have to agree with cakes. The late 90’s to mid 00’s, there really wasn’t that many good adventure games published. Sure, there was quite a few of them, but actually good titles can be counted with one hand.

I started to write a blog post on how adventures never really died, but when I looked at the games that were actually published during the time period, it was a just depressing thing to look at. I know there are people who like the Atlantis series as an example, but personally, I just find that one dreadful in almost every way.

After that notion, I just got stuck with my blog post, as the only thing I could really write down was, that while the genre didn’t die, it just sucked hard for a good while. And while I know there are people here who don’t like it, it really was only after Telltale made the first Sam & Max the genre started to slowly get out from the rut it was in.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

we have got over mostly the idea that the 2000s decade ‘wasn’t that bad’ sometimes no far ago so we need to do something, bend the timeline and see if/how we can piss on it because we need to piss on something.
there are
no human psychologies that tend to get new suggestion near, hug it and maybe squeeze goodness outta of it as a first reaction. But it is easier to wreck things, it is so difficult to praise them, when the mind deals with them like a shirt in the closet the better needed to be kept far back unnoticed, accepting in an undefined flash of intelligence the mind knows this shirt needs a lot of work;

so to the topic straight*** without psychologies: you want to define the 1995-2005 decade y itself, just because it can be parted! and they are ten years and easily to merge away(is that correct English) from the wonderful eras that came before and after. and maybe then handle the Mystery House -1995 as the flourishing-period of the previous decade and a half, and so on means we could also be having the Lovely period that no one disagrees about 2005-2010 as the half-decade period,and god know maybe later on, we could have the 3 intelligent years part at the adventuring history who knows (when exactly but maybe the upcoming 3).... andyou know what? i could agree easily about 1995-2005 (with 3-4 years of bad Sierra & Lucas choices and execution plus 6 years of the genre if nor dead is being lost being lost) perfect!

i dont quite under you tomimt .. do you agree to the strange decade HEADcakes assume , and its consequences over the previous and the laster, even the time we are at, and most importantly, lol ,if that happens then all the polls we ever made, even those we spent months until they were done dont mean shit, literally! plus how can we shove away the best year of adventure gaming year,1997 outta of the equation and also the same tobest adventure game made Grim Fandango 98-99??

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Advie - 27 January 2018 06:33 AM

so to the topic straight*** without psychologies: you want to define the 1995-2005 decade y itself, just because it can be parted! and they are ten years

11 years.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 27 January 2018 07:17 AM
Advie - 27 January 2018 06:33 AM

so to the topic straight*** without psychologies: you want to define the 1995-2005 decade y itself, just because it can be parted! and they are ten years

11 years.

h
i
l
a
r
i
o
u
s

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

97 might have been a good year, but after that, it was, to my estimation, about 10-years before adventure as a genre started to revitalize itself. Like I said, there were quite a many games published during those 10-years, but only a handful of them are something I consider good. Quality wise that 10-years contain a hell of a lot of games that underline WHY the bigger audiences got fed up with the genre in the first place and why the genre as a whole still has a tad of a bad reputation among people.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

tomimt - 27 January 2018 09:18 AM

97 might have been a good year, but after that, it was, to my estimation, about 10-years before adventure as a genre started to revitalize itself. Like I said, there were quite a many games published during those 10-years, but only a handful of them are something I consider good. Quality wise that 10-years contain a hell of a lot of games that underline WHY the bigger audiences got fed up with the genre in the first place and why the genre as a whole still has a tad of a bad reputation among people.

I take it that you weren’t a fan of the games published by DreamCatcher interactive.
Their rise and fall pretty much coincides with your timeline.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tomimt - 27 January 2018 09:18 AM

Quality wise that 10-years contain a hell of a lot of games that underline WHY the bigger audiences got fed up with the genre in the first place

Not. People simply preferred action. Big companies stopped producing adventures, even cancelled projects that were well underway because there was much more money to be made in the action games that had became immensely popular in a short time. Many players felt that “hard core” adventurers should adapt and embrace the new action-oriented games. Accusations of “holding back the genre” were made. Hardly any reviews of adventures in game magazines. Vicious circle.

and why the genre as a whole still has a tad of a bad reputation among people.

That may be part of it.

PS: I agree that in general the quality in those 7-8 years was quite low. An indie game like Harvest doesn’t deserve to be on anybody’s list.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you guys are crazy you bend anything just to go with a post or word you said earlier, in what’s favor ? i have no idea, but i wont waste more with ppl i thought i can take seriously, but not.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 January 2018 11:18 AM

you guys are crazy you bend anything just to go with a post or word you said earlier, in what’s favor ?

Yeah, everybody who disagrees with Advie’s opinions is crazy, we know, we know…

i have no idea, but i wont waste more with ppl i thought i can take seriously, but not.

Cool!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you see what you write or agree on taking a period 1995-2005 that has the best the adventure year 1997 and best adventure game in history GF and called it Sucked.
and when i remind you (maybe one didnt notice) you guys still argue and bend fact or word that came out of your mouth when you were voting at those previously mentioned hotspots.

i showed a list of the drooling developers at the decade… after you didn’t like my list of games i included of that decade,, and hushh! no one said a word about,
i dont know if this is how you deal with ppl of public forums how is it the way you deal your close ones?

uuhh you seriously shorten my life, if i can have 1/8 of wilco’s coolness, darn but that how i am

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 January 2018 12:18 PM

you see what you write or agree on taking a period 1995-2005 that has the best the adventure year 1997 and best adventure game in history GF and called it Sucked.
and when i remind you (maybe one didnt notice) you guys still argue and bend fact or word that came out of your mouth when you were voting at those previously mentioned hotspots.

i showed a list of the drooling developers at the decade… after you didn’t like my list of games i included of that decade,, and hushh! no one said a word about,
i dont know if this is how you deal with ppl of public forums how is it the way you deal your close ones?

uuhh you seriously shorten my life, if i can have 1/8 of wilco’s coolness, darn but that how i am

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top