• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#7 (Those were the days) 

Poll: Which stands as the best year at the history of Adventure gaming?
Total Votes: 23

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

1997 Wins!

Score for the record:-
1993 :10
1997 :11

————————————————-

1993 Vs 1997

These has been always this kinda of an un-declared battle between those two years for which they are really the best glories years ever! Through the history of the genre.

It’s really hard to decide! as those two years had established the core; everything we are cherishing about the genre until today; Developers, Designers, Companies, IPs, Nostalgia, Essences of gameplaying, Unforgotten heroes, Themes/Perspectives even Puzzles Mechanisms.. plus,plus and more and more; as new devs are trying hard re-represent all those roots in how many modern way they think would fit ‘what is called’ the evaluation of the genre, but however those years ‘93-‘97 ‘and in between’ will always remain the basic core of genre; the bible that enlighten its followers, bloomed, then conquered the video gaming and the multimedia industries, at last with no doubts those days were the main reason for the genre to live and survive, long enough until today.

I will remind of the hotspots of each of those two years, so if you haven’t had a previous certain answer to the matter, it might help ‘you’ to decide or reconsider.

-1993-
Myst
Day of the Tentacle
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Return to Zork
Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness
Police Quest: Open Season
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Space Quest V: The Next Mutation
Simon the Sorcerer
Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out!
The 7th Guest
Gobliins Quest 3
The Legend of Kyrandia - Book Two: The Hand of Fate
Shadow of the Comet

—————————————————————————

-1997-
Riven
Curse of Monkey Island
Blade Runner
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
The Last Express
Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
The Space Bar
The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime
Obsidian
Jack Orlando
Shivers II: Harvest of Souls
Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick
Dark Earth
Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
The Feeble Files

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’d say those years were the best of them all. Just about every single one of my favourite games were released between 93-97, but I voted for 1997 because of my baby, Curse of Monkey Island Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

1997. for my selfish, nostalgic reasons (the year I got PC!), objectively probably 1993. but in reality 1995/96 were crazy as hell with the FMV mania! (I mean - Harvester!)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

1993’s slate is incredible, so I voted for that. But of course this whole range of years is strong, with lots of interesting games spread throughout. Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Party like its 1993, what a year!

Nice match

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Can’t I call it a draw? Both years were crazy awesome!

But if I absolutely HAVE to chose, then I’ll do as Dag did and let CoMI win by default.
1997 it is, then.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 08 March 2015 07:57 PM

Can’t I call it a draw? Both years were crazy awesome!

But if I absolutely HAVE to chose, then I’ll do as Dag did and let CoMI win by default.
1997 it is, then.

lets wait and see, there already was a draw at Cage Match#4

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

This makes me wonder what the Aggie Awards would have been like during these years if they had existed. Difficult decisions.

Advie - 08 March 2015 06:55 PM

I hadn’t realized this game was that old, but you’re right. I guess it took a long time (until 2002) to come to the U.S.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Caliburn - 08 March 2015 08:10 PM

This makes me wonder what the Aggie Awards would have been like during these years if they had existed. Difficult decisions.

Advie - 08 March 2015 06:55 PM

hmmm, that gives me an idea, why dont you try IYO to start ranking each year subject and maybe we can get 1 of each year and smash them both into the pit for-the next cage match(#8).

no strings attached , just sounded fun

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Advie - 08 March 2015 08:17 PM

hmmm, that gives me an idea, why dont you try IYO to start ranking each year subject and maybe we can get 1 of each year and smash them both into the pit for-the next cage match(#8).

no strings attached , just sounded fun

You mean you want me to arbitrarily list what I think might have won in each Aggie category for the years 1993 and 1997, and then you’ll cage match one of the categories against each other, like the hypothetical winner of Best Writing - Comedy (1993) vs. the winner of Best Writing - Comedy (1997)? Or did I misunderstand what you want to do?

Ok, I haven’t played all these games—the most important omission is I never played DOTT—so I doubt my guess at what might have won is very good, but sure, I’ll give it a try. These aren’t my personal opinion on what should have won so much as they’re just my super arbitrary guess at what might have won if the Aggies had existed back then. Sometimes I couldn’t decide and copped out.

I’ll use the categories from 2008, minus the categories about indie games and console games, plus the Best Character category from later years (just for fun).

*** 1993 RetroAggies! *** (Purely speculative…)

Best Story - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Best Writing - Comedy - Day of the Tentacle
Best Writing - Drama - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Best Character - Purple Tentacle, Gabriel Knight, or Max from Sam and Max
Best Gameplay - Myst (if AG was intrigued by this new style of machine manipulation puzzle) or Day of the Tentacle (if AG was rewarding the apex of inventory puzzles)
Best Concept - ? (these are often wild cards)
Best Setting - Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness or Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Best Graphic Design - Myst (this category probably would have been just Best Graphics in 1993)
Best Animation - Day of the Tentacle
Best Music - The 7th Guest
Best Voice Acting - Sam and Max Hit the Road
Best Sound Effects - Myst
Best First-Person PC Adventure - Myst (actually, this category probably wouldn’t have existed in 1993, since Myst’s successors are what would have inspired the creation of it)
Best Third-Person PC Adventure - Day of the Tentacle
Best Adventure of 1993 - Myst or Day of the Tentacle (I feel like Gabriel Knight gained more of its reputation over time)

Feel free to tell me if you have a different guess for what might have won in 1993. Content

I’ll let someone else take a random guess at a possible 1997 RetroAggies. Wink

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

1993 no doubt! How can any other year come close to the one in which I spent more than 500 billions on adventure games alone!

@Caliburn
I would vote almost the same Smile

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

1997 was a great year for adventure games but with such big titles like Myst, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Gabriel Knight, my vote goes to 1993.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The year that both The Longest Journey and Discworld Noir was realease, two of my absolute… WHAT? .. Okay .. In that case I chose 1997 because… Just Because!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Small point Advie. Black Dahlia was released in Feb 1998.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jabod - 09 March 2015 09:37 AM

Small point Advie. Black Dahlia was released in Feb 1998.

i stand corrected Jabod,  fix’d and thanks!  Content

——————————————

Dag - 08 March 2015 07:01 PM

I’d say those years were the best of them all. Just about every single one of my favourite games were released between 93-97, but I voted for 1997 because of my baby, Curse of Monkey Island Tongue

or was it for Duckman Tongue Pan

———————————————

@Cali thanks for the effort Heart, this really will come-in handy through the next matches!

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

1993’s only superb ag is GK,but 1997 ags all around better.
eg Riven way better adventure than myst,so like Comi way better than Dott and zork GI better than Return to Zork same goes for BR And Last Express against
any ag from 1993’s list..I think 1993 overmatched here.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top