• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Was the last decade too oppressed/disparaged?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so, as i said you are evil!, it suits you. unless that is a sound of another thingy, a ghost in a sheet?.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Grim Fandango, Blackstone Chronicles, Tex Murphy: Overseer, Sanitarium, Black Dahlia, The X-Files Game, Legacy of Time, Morpheus, Nightlong, Celtica - 1998 looks much better than 1994 or 2014 to me. And 1999 had Gabriel Knight, The Longest Journey, Discworld Noir, Omikron, Faust, Amerzone, Traitors Gate - I had nothing to complain about back then. Great decade!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 January 2018 12:59 PM

so, as i said you are evil!, it suits you. unless that is a sound of another thingy, a ghost in a sheet?.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 27 January 2018 01:11 PM

Grim Fandango, Blackstone Chronicles, Tex Murphy: Overseer, Sanitarium, Black Dahlia, The X-Files Game, Legacy of Time, Morpheus, Nightlong, Celtica - 1998 looks much better than 1994 or 2014 to me. And 1999 had Gabriel Knight, The Longest Journey, Discworld Noir, Omikron, Faust, Amerzone, Traitors Gate - I had nothing to complain about back then. Great decade!

I agree about 1998. In 1999 the decline became apparent, even though there were good games too.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Karlok - 27 January 2018 10:16 AM

Not. People simply preferred action. Big companies stopped producing adventures, even cancelled projects that were well underway because there was much more money to be made in the action games that had became immensely popular in a short time…

That I agree with. Too many people blame Myst for the downfall of 3rd person adventures, forgetting that other game that came out in 1993—Doom. I knew about Doom years before I knew about Myst or Monkey Island or King’s Quest, or any adventure game—years before I owned a computer.

The following is not addressed to Karlok or any one person
—————————————————————————————

If not for these “oppressed/disparaged” first person games that so many of you think aren’t worth playing, I would not have gone online seeking out “more adventure games,” and eventually learned about Monkey Island and the other “classic” adventure games. I’d never have heard of Monkey Island or Gabriel Knight or King’s Quest because no one I knew played them. Even the online friends who suggested games for me after I bought my computer were suggesting Myst, Riven, Shivers, 7th Guest, and Starship Titanic—no 3rd person games in that list.

If not for the 1st person games that were available (and continued to be released) in the years surrounding year 2000, I’d have played a few RPG’s and a few 3rd person action games like Tomb Raider, and never looked further. I certainly wasn’t going to purchase something online that I’d never heard of before. Even after I’d read about the “classic 3rd person adventure games” (on fan websites and newsgroups), they were often at a premium price (for a used game too), though I was able to buy some direct from LucasArts’ online shop while it was still open—which is the main reason I played LucasArts adventures long before Sierra’s 3rd person games. Many Sierra games were never affordable (legally) until GOG started releasing them.

I get tired of people, essentially snobs, thinking their own experience is the only one that matters—their own taste in games the only one that matters—and that the only people whose tastes matter are those who were fortunate enough to own a computer (or have free access to one for games) in the 1980’s to mid 1990’s. There were good games made in the time between the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, some I’d call exceptional. I’d have liked to see more, both 1st person and 3rd person adventures, but Doom and subsequent action genres were more profitable.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 27 January 2018 01:27 PM
Doom - 27 January 2018 01:11 PM

I agree about 1998. In 1999 the decline became apparent, even though there were good games too.

now you agree now only i said differently than 98-99, i mentioned ‘97-‘98 if Sir.Doom just had it said ‘97 then we are back to point zero and it the 2000s decade we are about here… not the bomb HCoD has blown that karlok and tomimt affected with.

Doom could you say sumthin good about ‘97 and the games released then, here , i will make it easier on you to decide ‘97 unless then we have a prob w/96 and we need to make decade outta it>>>????

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

crabapple - 27 January 2018 01:47 PM

I get tired of people, essentially snobs, thinking their own experience is the only one that matters—their own taste in games the only one that matters—and that the only people whose tastes matter are those who were fortunate enough to own a computer (or have free access to one for games) in the 1980’s to mid 1990’s. There were good games made in the time between the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, some I’d call exceptional. I’d have liked to see more, both 1st person and 3rd person adventures, but Doom and subsequent action genres were more profitable.

LOL. What is more snobbish, having an opinion about something or telling people they can’t have an opinion in the first place?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i HC it is not about you maybe about me .. dont know, but i think this thread had reached its point two pages ago and whats happening since things only getingt dirty around here. it might Eveb get more dirtier, just as hunh

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 27 January 2018 04:19 PM

What is more snobbish, having an opinion about something or telling people they can’t have an opinion in the first place?

What you are doing—stating your opinion as if it is fact for everyone.
Claiming all games from a particular time period are rubbish when new gamers were enjoying them and they were all that was keeping the genre alive at all at the time. You’re entitled to your opinion of what works for you. You’re not entitled to tell me or anyone else that what we enjoy is rubbish.

Advie - 27 January 2018 04:27 PM

i HC it is not about you maybe about me .. dont know, but i think this thread had reached its point two pages ago and whats happening since things only getting dirty around here. it might Eveb get more dirtier, just as hunh

Your thread started out positive, until certain people started claiming the games, even entire sub-genres that other people (including yourself) enjoyed, were rubbish.

Not your fault, Advie.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

crabapple - 27 January 2018 05:18 PM
Headycakesofdoom - 27 January 2018 04:19 PM

What is more snobbish, having an opinion about something or telling people they can’t have an opinion in the first place?

What you are doing—stating your opinion as if it is fact for everyone.
Claiming all games from a particular time period are rubbish when new gamers were enjoying them and they were all that was keeping the genre alive at all at the time. You’re entitled to your opinion of what works for you. You’re not entitled to tell me or anyone else that what we enjoy is rubbish.

I would have thought it obvious that any claims about the best or worst period of gaming were opinions. How could they be anything else?

Do we really need to put “in my opinion” before everything we say?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Seems to me that some posters in this thread don’t understand the difference between facts and opinions. Facts are things like the number of games released in a particular year or period; the review scores; the number of sales; even the majority opinion of players at forums.

Advie - 27 January 2018 04:27 PM

i think this thread had reached its point two pages ago and whats happening since things only getingt dirty around here.

Oh yes, absolutely. Couldn’t agree more.

when i see karlok quoting me, i know next thing i will be seeing an exposedof dead stinky rate out of it(my qoutes)

and

i dont know if this is how you deal with ppl of public forums how is it the way you deal your close ones?

and

you guys are crazy you bend anything just to go with a post or word you said earlier,

and

Sick

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 27 January 2018 07:02 PM

Seems to me that some posters in this thread don’t understand the difference between facts and opinions. Facts are things like the number of games released in a particular year or period; the review scores; the number of sales; even the majority opinion of players at forums

Yes, as i said earlier , media response and consumer base overall were still intact in later 90s
When i said decline from 2000 to 2010, i mean footprint of quality games decreased

It has nothing to do what we(hardcore followers) like or dont, AGs in popularity and quality against other games took a nosedive

Only later when Heavyrain was being praised by legends like Toddhoward and CliffyB and scored sales in 4million+ now at 5million

Then TWD/TTG came copying Cage formula and set an episodic trend which JaneJensen called as her best AG of current era

Before that things were bleak , AGs were not high production, nor their quality of writing was on par with other genres let alone puzzles and scope

Sierra lucas days had production and shit
Why Sierra and lucas abandoned AGs themselves?

I remember Dreamfall being covered by major outlets, as it was good production
Cant say same about Voojoo island types, so thats a c tier filler in grand scheme of things

If we only had 3 Dreamfall type games each year…

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 27 January 2018 01:47 PM

While I disagree with the whole quoted paragraph, I really disagree most with the first sentence. As the late, great Tip O’Neil, Speaker of the House, and a Representative from the great State of Massachusetts once said, “All politics is local.”

Which essentially means that if a piece of legislation, no matter how good, doesn’t benefit me, personally, I have every right to oppose it. Fair enough. But that doesn’t mean I can criticize people who oppose my position.

Look at your first sentence. Aren’t doing the exact same thing you are criticizing of doing?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 27 January 2018 04:18 PM

Doom could you say sumthin good about ‘97 and the games released then, here , i will make it easier on you to decide ‘97 unless then we have a prob w/96 and we need to make decade outta it>>>????

I just thought it was well-established that 1997 was among the best adventure years, with Blade Runner, The Last Express, Riven, Curse of Monkey Island, Zork and Callahan’s that often appear in everyone’s favourite lists. Personally I played Zork, Riven and Broken Sword in addition to Blood and Hexen 2 while all my classmates played Fallout, Diablo and GTA which made me kind of an outcast. It wasn’t all about FPS that replaced AGs, but a broader change of gaming preferences.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Advie - 22 January 2018 09:23 PM

there are too many good examples i wanted to gather that i had to try to make a list as moderate/small as i could:
Scratches - Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring - Gray Matter - The Lost Crown - Murder in the Abbey -  Nightlong - Still Life - Ankh(s) - Memento Mori - Machinarium -  Barrow Hill - Edna and Harvey - Sinking Island - Aura -Keepsake - The Moment of Silence - Myst IV: Revelation - Overclocked - Everlight - Blackwell(s) - Nikopol -  Paradise - Perry Rhodan - Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - ..And Then There Were None - Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island-  Samorost(s) - Shady Brook - Runaways - Sam and Max Seasons - Culpa Innata - Jack Keane -  Art of Murder(s) - A Vampyre Story - Ceville - Gobliiins4 - Tales of Monkey Island Chapters - The Path -  Black Mirror 2 - The Whispered World .

Advie I am surprised as a big Sierra fan you missed out on Al Emmo, for me it is easily the best Sierra clone and also better than all the LSL games!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top