• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Was the last decade too oppressed/disparaged?

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Oscar - 25 January 2018 03:12 AM

My impression is that the hype for retro styled crowd-pleasers like Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park exceeded their reception somewhat, and the opposite was true for innovators like The Witness. Also, look at last year - Gorogoa, The Sexy Brutale, Stories Untold and Orwell got great receptions and all were innovators.

Totally agreed.
In my case I used “enthusiasm” to refer to the reception, and not the hype.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Henke - 25 January 2018 05:28 AM
Jackal - 23 January 2018 12:33 AM

So you were right in your first post. The genre was alive and well in the 2000s, but mainly from about 2005 on.

I agree. Early 2000 were dark years

Yes. That’s a fact.

but the rest of the decade had some really great games.

The fact that fewer decent games were released does not mean there were no masterpieces made in the same time frame, which I think was Advies point.  Thumbs Up

Here’s what the OP said.

The 2000s (decade) where/when everything was claiming or talking about how/if adventure games are dead?. I took a looked back a few hours ago searching for not too old adventure to (re)play and i was amazed by how many GREAT games (used high techs quite well as well) that decade had seen….  i maybe been thinking that if it wasn’t for low sales and outcome of Adventures at the time the decade it could ve been seen as the pinnacle of the genre but i am not sure!

But anyhow i somehow think that decade was kinda oppressed? even til today, i can tell without hesitation that there was a quality of games in that era which is much better than most of what came after ‘11-‘12

There’s overlap between the dry period in the adventure game history and the last decade but they are not the same thing. As Jackal said, the dry period started in the late 90s and lasted about seven years. Comparing decades is not only useless, it distorts reality. It’s like I look at the total number of new houses in the 40s and then conclude: Gee, the Second World War has been getting a bad rep, look at the large number of houses they built in that period!

This is also apparent from the OP’s own list of 40 games he considers great. I added the year of release.

Scratches (2006)  - Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring (2004) - Gray Matter (2010) - The Lost Crown (2008) - Murder in the Abbey (2008) -  Nightlong (1998!) - Still Life (2005)- Ankh(s) (2006+) - Memento Mori (2009) - Machinarium (2009) -  Barrow Hill (2006) - Edna and Harvey (2008) - Sinking Island (2007) – Aura (2004) -Keepsake (2006) - The Moment of Silence (2004) - Myst IV: Revelation (2004) - Overclocked (2008) - Everlight (2008) - Blackwell(s) (2006+) - Nikopol (2008) -  Paradise (2006) - Perry Rhodan (2008) - Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (2006) - ..And Then There Were None (2005) - Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island (2010) -  Samorost(s) (freeware + 2005)  - Shady Brook (2005) - Runaways (2001+) - Sam and Max Seasons (2006+) - Culpa Innata (2007) - Jack Keane (2007) -  Art of Murder(s) (2008+)  - A Vampyre Story (2008) -  Ceville (2009) - Gobliiins4 (2009) - Tales of Monkey Island Chapters (2009) - The Path (2009) –  Black Mirror 2 (2010) - The Whispered World (2010).

[1998] - 1
2001 - 1
2002 – none
2003 – none
2004 – 4
2005 - 4
2006 – 8
2007 – 3
2008 – 9
2009 – 6
2010 - 4

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 06:18 AM
Oscar - 25 January 2018 03:12 AM

My impression is that the hype for retro styled crowd-pleasers like Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park exceeded their reception somewhat, and the opposite was true for innovators like The Witness. Also, look at last year - Gorogoa, The Sexy Brutale, Stories Untold and Orwell got great receptions and all were innovators.

Totally agreed.
In my case I used “enthusiasm” to refer to the reception, and not the hype.

My impression is that the innovating games were very well received by different types of gamers, with the adventuring crowd lagging behind. But it’s just an impression and I hope I’m wrong.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I think it’d be a mistake to discuss this period and leave Fahrenheit out of consideration.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Martin Gantefoehr - 25 January 2018 08:13 AM

I think it’d be a mistake to discuss this period and leave Fahrenheit out of consideration.

Nice to see you here. How is your new game coming along?

EDIT: I remember how many regulars (now gone) here at the forums had such high expectations of Fahrenheit that disappointment was inevitable.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2018 08:02 AM

My impression is that the innovating games were very well received by different types of gamers, with the adventuring crowd lagging behind. But it’s just an impression and I hope I’m wrong.

I wouldn’t know about the opinion on the forums, having been absent a long time, but the reviews on the site are very good, at least for the games I kind think of : Witness, Portal, Talos, Danganronpa, Stories Untold, Life is Strange, etc.
Do you have particular games in mind ?

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Funny, I was just thinking about it, and how the innovation of that period always seem to fall flat, as in Fahrenheit and Broken Sword 3, which both were heralded as the future of AGs back then (in the forums anyway), and both fell short of expectations.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 08:17 AM

I wouldn’t know about the opinion on the forums, having been absent a long time, but the reviews on the site are very good, at least for the games I kind think of : Witness, Portal, Talos, Danganronpa, Stories Untold, Life is Strange, etc.

Yeah, the reviews are very good, with the exception of the Stories Untold one. I meant the adventure crowd, the players. Not just here, at other forums as well.

Do you have particular games in mind ?

The ones Oscar and you mentioned (haven’t played all of them yet), plus the Telltale games that many people here don’t consider real adventures. Plus at least some of the “walking sims” like Firewatch.

Again, I may be wrong, but the large amount of playthroughs at youtube and the streams at twitch of those novel games are from mostly young people who are into FPS or RPG. We are not keeping the genre alive, they are.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2018 08:32 AM

Again, I may be wrong, but the large amount of playthroughs at youtube and the streams at twitch of those novel games are from mostly young people who are into FPS or RPG. We are not keeping the genre alive, they are.

Well, playtroughs and streams of any kind of games are mostly from young people, and they do like their FPS or RPGs. :p

I like to think that by buying these games I’m doing my part to keep the genre alive, as do you and, I suspect, a lot of people in the AG community.
Note that I’m also glad of being able to play my part keeping the most conservative AGs alive as well ; the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

But of course if there’s been negativity toward non-classical AG in this or other AG forums I’ve been spared it so that might account for my undue optimism. Smile

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 08:20 AM

Funny, I was just thinking about it, and how the innovation of that period always seem to fall flat, as in Fahrenheit and Broken Sword 3, which both were heralded as the future of AGs back then (in the forums anyway), and both fell short of expectations.

Fahrenheit itself may not have met expectations, but its conceptual approach proved impactful.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 08:58 AM
Karlok - 25 January 2018 08:32 AM

Well, playtroughs and streams of any kind of games are mostly from young people, and they do like their FPS or RPGs. :p

Sure, but they stream Firewatch, Wolf Among Us, Stories Untold, even Gorogoa. They do not stream Thimbleweed Park, Xing, The Last Wind Monk, or Death Gate. 

But of course if there’s been negativity toward non-classical AG in this or other AG forums I’ve been spared it so that might account for my undue optimism. Smile

Not so much negativity (except Telltale), more a lack of enthousiasm. I loved The Witness and read pages and pages of interesting discussions at reddit. Nothing here.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Martin Gantefoehr - 25 January 2018 09:00 AM

Fahrenheit itself may not have met expectations, but its conceptual approach proved impactful.

No response to my question. Frown
Oh well… I guess PR is not your thing.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2018 09:10 AM
Martin Gantefoehr - 25 January 2018 09:00 AM

No response to my question. Frown
Oh well… I guess PR is not your thing.

It actually isn’t Smile but more importantly, it’s not my call. Apologies!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2018 07:27 AM

Here’s what the OP said.

The 2000s (decade) where/when everything was claiming or talking about how/if adventure games are dead?. I took a looked back a few hours ago searching for not too old adventure to (re)play and i was amazed by how many GREAT games (used high techs quite well as well) that decade had seen….  i maybe been thinking that if it wasn’t for low sales and outcome of Adventures at the time the decade it could ve been seen as the pinnacle of the genre but i am not sure!

But anyhow i somehow think that decade was kinda oppressed? even til today, i can tell without hesitation that there was a quality of games in that era which is much better than most of what came after ‘11-‘12

There’s overlap between the dry period in the adventure game history and the last decade but they are not the same thing. As Jackal said, the dry period started in the late 90s and lasted about seven years. Comparing decades is not only useless, it distorts reality. It’s like I look at the total number of new houses in the 40s and then conclude: Gee, the Second World War has been getting a bad rep, look at the number of houses they built in that period!

This is also apparent from the OP’s own list of 40 games he considers great. I added the year of release.

[1998] - 1
2001 - 1
2002 – none
2003 – none
2004 – 4
2005 - 4
2006 – 8
2007 – 3
2008 – 9
2009 – 6
2010 - 4

i tried to understand the bolded/highlighted phrases and gave up, truly when i see karlok quoting me, i know next thing i will be seeing an exposedof dead stinky rate out of it(my qoutes) i have no good expectation for what she bolded or homstaly its called taken outta the context, esp the bold line taken out the context which always changes a great DEAL of what i anyone trying to say, this incednt always reminds me of a phrase in The Quran people at old ages used and excuse to abandon prayers, the verse oes as [4:43] “do not approach prayer….
i didnt close the verse because this is what is it about but, the complete Verse goes as [4:43] “do not approach prayer while you are drunk until you know what you are saying.”

as for the list she has given claiming i bypassed two years with examples, an inspite pf my post of the all the Companies and Devs at that times trying to take us all to a greater scoop of the matter, but we are still arguing, but whatever.

here when i said chosen 80 not 40 examples after researching the decade for worthy games.

Let me tell you guys, i gathered double the number of list i posted, which reached around 80s titles with many good ones i myself* liked, so i actually i had to shove away and those 40 what left.

The games here many i might never* like but people here seemed (i know) so;  Scratches, Sinking Island, And Then There Were None, and at least 10-12 more.

And apart of the nature of negativity and always counting the cons before the pros and even also ends up without mention anything good about. i dont blame you let any of your friends hear a song you like, i mean you TELL him that you like it and see his first reaction.

so instead of exploding the post with 80 good of the above average games, i took 40, and seriously i didn’t choose them carefully after the effort of searching the decade and changing my to post a bit of a smaller number so the eyes can easily work them out.

but i still have the text file with all the games i gathered; the 80s and 2002-2003 has a good number of good games.

(2002) Syberia - Rhem - Harvest - Dark Fall

2003 The Black Mirror - Journey to the Centre of the Earth -Samorost -5 Days a Stranger -Agon1 and 2

and excuse me karlok what mind makes me abandon games of my top 10 best ever as Syberia.

down there it was upon Thejobloshow request to see my top 10

Advie - 23 January 2018 04:40 AM
thejobloshow - 23 January 2018 04:07 AM

I’m curious to know if you have a top 10 adventure game list though and how many titles were released smack bang in the 2000s.

for a moment there i thought you got me my back against the wall, i don’t keeo lists at my PC, so i looked up a thread(old) was called Readers-Top-10, and i myself was surprised.

Advie - 25 July 2013 06:57 PM

Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals

2.Riven

3.Police Quest II: The Vengeance

4.Edna & Harvey: The Breakout

5.Overclocked :A History of Violence

6.Blade Runner

7.Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and The Time Rippers

8.Syberia 1!!

9.Black Mirror 2

10.Myst IV: Revelation

Just got a change of opinion

50/50 i swear haven’t any idea, even when i was posting the thread.  Mini Frown

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 25 January 2018 09:35 AM

i tried to understand the bolded/highlighted phrases and gave up, truly when i see karlok quoting me, i know next thing i will be seeing an exposedof dead stinky rate out of it(my qoutes) i have no good expectation for what she bolded or homstaly its called taken outta the context, esp the bold line taken out the context which always changes a great DEAL of what i anyone trying to say, this incednt always reminds me of a phrase in The Quran people at old ages used and excuse to abandon prayers, the verse oes as [4:43] “do not approach prayer….
i didnt close the verse because this is what is it about but, the complete Verse goes as [4:43] “do not approach prayer while you are drunk until you know what you are saying.”

so instead of exploding the post with 80 good of the above average games, i took 40, and seriously i didn’t choose them carefully after the effort of searching the decade and changing my to post a bit of a smaller number so the eyes can easily work them out.

but i still have the text file with all the games i gathered; the 80s and 2002-2003 has a good number of good games.

(2002) Syberia - Rhem - Harvest - Dark Fall

2003 The Black Mirror - Journey to the Centre of the Earth -Samorost -5 Days a Stranger -Agon1 and 2

That leaves 40 minus 10 = 30 more games for the years 2004-2010.
I rest my case.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top