• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Was the last decade too oppressed/disparaged?

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2018 09:07 AM

Sure, but they stream Firewatch, Wolf Among Us, Stories Untold, even Gorogoa. They do not stream Thimbleweed Park, Xing, The Last Wind Monk, or Death Gate.

I dunno about Thimbleweed Park, but I’ve seen a let’s play (from a notable french youtuber) of Full Throttle Remastered.
But let’s face it, doing a let’s play or a stream of any classical AG would be painful to watch for most people, because of big part of those consist in being stuck and thinking things through and that is definitely not compatible with the current youtube scene where everything needs to be fast and efficient.
Also these guys tend to make videos about successful of trendy games, which is not the case of classical AGs, even the well-received ones like the Dave Gilbert games.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Martin Gantefoehr - 25 January 2018 09:00 AM

Fahrenheit itself may not have met expectations, but its conceptual approach proved impactful.

Hm. How exactly ?

I’m hoping you’re not referring to the profusion of QTEs that plagued many games this last decade.  Smile

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Not so much negativity (except Telltale), more a lack of enthousiasm. I loved The Witness and read pages and pages of interesting discussions at reddit. Nothing here.

That’s too bad indeed, the Witness is a really impressive game (gaming construct even), in addition to being a game I had lots of fun with. Didn’t care much for the philosophical aspects, but that’s just me.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 09:55 AM

But let’s face it, doing a let’s play or a stream of any classical AG would be painful to watch for most people, because of big part of those consist in being stuck and thinking things through and that is definitely not compatible with the current youtube scene where everything needs to be fast and efficient.

Then why is a puzzle game like Gorogoa popular among streamers? And I’m not talking about a few or a dozen streams. Just try counting the number of youtube playthroughs of Stories Untold, a game that is partly a text adventure! There must be hundreds.

Also these guys tend to make videos about successful of trendy games, which is not the case of classical AGs, even the well-received ones like the Dave Gilbert games.

Yes, but that was my point, that these innovative games are embraced by non-adventure gamers. Which is great IMO. It doesn’t matter to them if they are called adventures or story games or walking sims.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 09:58 AM

Fahrenheit itself may not have met expectations, but its conceptual approach proved impactful.

Hm. How exactly ?

I’m hoping you’re not referring to the profusion of QTEs that plagued many games this last decade.  Smile

\

i think no one in a position of answering of behalf someone else, come on,and for Martin Gantefoehr, its crime un 1st degree but i am will to pay the price Laughing

I ve been following Martin for the past 10-11 (everyone knows about how he is my Fav designer) years cs i think he the only capable to design Dramatic Reality video games adventuring, what he is saying ‘to assure you’ first about the 2nd part of your post, that he admires Fahrenheit, and that sumthing i know rather than what is written at his post, so lets get into it.

Fahrenheit itself may not have met expectations: almost the same idea of this thread about the last decade, lol, that Fahrenheit whether those who had been waiting for it and those have heard or actually played it plus the mass media of reviews and whatnot, Fahrenheit have not been received well.

but its conceptual approach proved impactful: as much as the game, like said wasn’t received well, it was a model or impactful for ((not just cage and his successors huge succeeding adventures)) but Telltale, Life is strange, even daedalic esp their upcoming even Martin’s, and at how Fahrenheit the sparkof that (ASK NOMAD) but ttg had been better in the sense of changing all the borthing matter playersuffered fromm so as for QTEs, and Choices that change the narrative or just the ending they all come with the package Laughing

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Hm. How exactly ?

I’m afraid yes. Smile Focus on story branching (& decisions), removal of “puzzles”, and timed stuff.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Martin Gantefoehr - 25 January 2018 02:43 PM

Hm. How exactly ?

I’m afraid yes. Smile Focus on story branching (& decisions), removal of “puzzles”, and timed stuff.

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
ahhhh, sorry Martin, thought ye might have changed too ‘yourself’ under high ttg current

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Advie - 25 January 2018 03:09 PM
Martin Gantefoehr - 25 January 2018 02:43 PM

Hm. How exactly ?

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
ahhhh, sorry Martin, thought ye might have changed too ‘yourself’ under high ttg current

Um, not sure I understand.Smile (To be sure, I’m really just dropping in as a long-time member of the forum, with a general interest in these things. I’m not here to advocate or defend specific design ideas.)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its alright, you are developer a busy man, we just playing lol
seriously i answered ninth on your behalf the bolded down at the last paragraph/part is what i m being sorry for Martin

Advie - 25 January 2018 12:27 PM

Hm. How exactly ?

\

i think no one in a position of answering of behalf someone else, come on,and for Martin Gantefoehr, its crime un 1st degree but i am will to pay the price Laughing

I ve been following Martin for the past 10-11 (everyone knows about how he is my Fav designer) years cs i think he the only capable to design Dramatic Reality video games adventuring, what he is saying ‘to assure you’ first about the 2nd part of your post, that he admires Fahrenheit, and that sumthing i know rather than what is written at his post, so lets get into it.

Fahrenheit itself may not have met expectations: almost the same idea of this thread about the last decade, lol, that Fahrenheit whether those who had been waiting for it and those have heard or actually played it plus the mass media of reviews and whatnot, Fahrenheit have not been received well.

but its conceptual approach proved impactful: as much as the game, like said wasn’t received well, it was a model or impactful for Telltale, Life is strange, even daedalic esp their upcomings even Martin’s, and as how Fahrenheit is the spark that but ttg had it better in the sense of changing all the boring matters player suffered from so as for QTEs, and Choices that change the narrative or just the ending they all come with the package Laughing

i ve assumed your game will have QTEs, see

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Advie - 25 January 2018 09:35 AM

but i still have the text file with all the games i gathered; the 80s and 2002-2003 has a good number of good games.

(2002) Syberia - Rhem - Harvest - Dark Fall

2003 The Black Mirror - Journey to the Centre of the Earth -Samorost -5 Days a Stranger -Agon1 and 2

Also in 2002
Chemicus
Gast: The Greatest Little Ghost
Jerusalem
Largo Winch
Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
Post Mortem
Tony Tough: Night of the Roasted Moths

and in 2003
In Memoriam
A Quiet Weekend in Capri
The Omega Stone
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst

I thought all the above games (as well as the games Advie listed) were worth playing at least once, some more than once. Unfortunately In Memoriam is probably now unplayable due to its built-in requirement to log in online, so that one’s probably dead—a victim of its own “innovation” unless someone finds a way to emulate the server it used to log into. Even if that never happens, it was “interesting” to play it once.

I think it’s a matter of taste which half of the 2000-2010 decade had the better games.
If I make a list of the games I enjoyed, and which are my favorites, most are in the first half of the decade.

Someone who doesn’t like 1st person games may prefer the 2nd half of the decade, but there are still 3rd person games like Moment of Silence, The Longest Journey, and Still Life that were from the period 2000-2005 (and I remember Syberia being really popular at the time it came out—even moreso than now). I have no particular preference for 1st person over 3rd, or vice versa, but I’d rather have them in near equal measures and not a preponderance of one type over the other, which is what happened in the 2000’s—1st person in the first half of the decade, 3rd person in the latter half.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Advie - 25 January 2018 03:45 PM

its alright, you are developer a busy man, we just playing lol
seriously i answered ninth on your behalf the bolded down at the last paragraph/part is what i m being sorry for Martin

Advie - 25 January 2018 12:27 PM

Hm. How exactly ?

\

but its conceptual approach proved impactful: as much as the game, like said wasn’t received well, it was a model or impactful for Telltale, Life is strange, even daedalic esp their upcomings even Martin’s, and as how Fahrenheit is the spark that but ttg had it better in the sense of changing all the boring matters player suffered from so as for QTEs, and Choices that change the narrative or just the ending they all come with the package Laughing

i ve assumed your game will have QTEs, see

In any case, and back on-topic, I can anecdotically confirm that 1998-2004 was an *awful* time for everyone involved. Smile

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

crabapple - 25 January 2018 04:22 PM

I thought all the above games (as well as the games Advie listed) were worth playing at least once, some more than once.

I remember Tony Tough, a very nice little game made as a tribute to LucasArts. I think I enjoyed it more than any of the Daedalic titles.

Edit: the game was actually released in Italy way back in 1997 and then re-released worldwide. It’s not a 2002 release nor a tribute to The Curse of Monkey Island.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 08:58 AM
Karlok - 25 January 2018 08:32 AM

Again, I may be wrong, but the large amount of playthroughs at youtube and the streams at twitch of those novel games are from mostly young people who are into FPS or RPG. We are not keeping the genre alive, they are.

Well, playtroughs and streams of any kind of games are mostly from young people, and they do like their FPS or RPGs. :p

Sure, but they stream Firewatch, Wolf Among Us, Stories Untold, even Gorogoa. They do not stream Thimbleweed Park, Xing, The Last Wind Monk, or Death Gate.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, my bad, I didn’t mean to say there were no playthroughs at all. Just very few compared to TWAU, Firewatch, etcetera. And your links are youtube. When I click for instance on Xing in twitch I get 27 followers, but no clips, no recent videos. Death Gate has 32 followers and 1 video. The Wolf Among Us has 14,433 followers and God knows how many videos.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top