• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #6 – Drawn: The Painted Tower

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve done two of the canvases. I had forgotten how much animation there is in the paintings. The music is lovely, particularly the main theme.

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This is as beautiful and addictive as I remember. I’m standing in front of the third painting. I’ve got to stop! This section finishes on the 11th. I’ll be tapping toes for a week if I don’t back off.

The orchestration is incredible. And, while I can’t really tell if it’s synthesized, there is a subtle “choral” background that is absolutely enchanting.

I want to post some screenshots. But it’s hard to find a scene that doesn’t have a clue embedded in it somewhere. And, as I’ve been told, there is no way to post a screenshot inside a spoiler tag.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 04 February 2015 08:42 AM

(for example, in the first screen what was missing in my windows version was the handle, while in the android version what is missing is a key).

Funny thing, in the version I’m playing (Steam) they apparently couldn’t decide, they call it handle about half the time though it is clearly a key on the picture. Another little annoyance is that in one puzzle you have to use something “the colour of the night” which of course turn out to be Blue! Not black as you would expect, not even a dark blue but a bright colourful blue. That had me stumped for a while, and not in the good way.

Anyway I have completed the first part, and is now in the hall of giants, which took me about two hours. Storywise there really isn’t that much to say, as it doesn’t appear to be a story-heavy game. A tower you have to get to the top of, a girl you need to save, and some bits of backstory scattered around in the form of little letters, in fact it feels a bit more like a puzzler compared to the other games we have played here.

Where it does shine however is in the puzzle department. Not only is there not a single HO or other repetitive minigames, but it is also a quite difficult game, it kind of reminds of Keepsake in this aspect, perhaps not quite as difficult but to a large degree similar types of puzzles, and more difficult than what you see in most games. Some of them are also quite inventive, especially the solution to the Knight, Dragon and Princess puzzle brings a smile to my face when I think of it.

I am very happy to say that so far I haven’t skipped any puzzles, though there has been two where I came very close to hitting the skip button, but then something suddenly clicked into place and the solution came to me.

(I would have posted some screenshots, but it turns out that I forgot to take any Frown)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think most of the story takes place in the letters between Katherine and Iris and Franklin and Iris.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 05 February 2015 01:50 PM

I think most of the story takes place in the letters between Katherine and Iris and Franklin and Iris.

And paintings. Story is often told through the paintings too.

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m a little bit late but had the disc version I bought a few years ago (still in it’s wrapper!) which I’ve just installed - I’m ready to go & hoping to catch up!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 05 February 2015 04:56 PM
rtrooney - 05 February 2015 01:50 PM

And paintings. Story is often told through the paintings too.

I think this will make a great conversation point during week three. Me, I think the paintings are nothing more than stopping off points for Iris. The characters in the paintings seem to know her and love her, and will do anything they can to help her. But, by the time we reach them Iris has moved on.

I guiltily played a bit more. I’m not quite at Giant, but I’m knocking at the door.

To Iz - I’ve also yet to skip a puzzle, but the pentagon surely was tempting. Thought only the big nails did the movement until I accidentally clicked on a little nail. That was the Aha moment that allowed me to solve it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

In the opening cutscene, I suspect you are supposed to keep track of the red scarf as it blows. The first time I played this game, I lost track of the scarf at this scene:

But this time when I watched the opening cutscene, I happened to look up at the right moment, and you can see the scarf briefly as it blows across the skylight. I caught the tail end of it here:

This time as I played I also noticed that apparently Iris didn’t paint clothes on the back of the witch doctor, so from behind he looks rather bare. All he’s wearing are the mask and decorative sleeves. At least, that’s what it looks like to me.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve just completed the shaman painting, and so far all I can say is how absolutely gorgeous and vibrant the paintings are!
There are so many moving elements in them (especially the scarecrow painting), that it looks more alive than the “real” game world.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There’s a thread, which you, I and Becky have posted to that talks about the (negative) affect casual games have had on the adventure game genre. I really wish some of those (other) posters were playing this trilogy.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Made it to the Hall of Giants. Now I have to wait four days. Frown

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just started playing tonight and am up to the point where the bridge collapsed.  Enough time has passed that I don’t remember many of the details and puzzle solutions, so I am taking my time looking and just savoring everything.  I love the sad and beautiful music, and I feel so sorry for poor faithful Franklin.  Oh, and the shrunken heads made me laugh.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve arrived at the clocktower. I have strong memories of the game up to this point. The clocktower, though, seems completely unfamiliar. I’ve taken screenshots as the camera pans up its full length. I’ll post them when we’re onto the next section, so they don’t spoil anything for someone who hasn’t seen this before (or someone who doesn’t remember seeing this before).

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

For me though, the best painting/scene was with the old tree. Apart from the nice theme and riddles, it felt really cool drawing the clouds with the tablet’s touchscreen!! Smile

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Reached the hall of giants. The artwork and liveliness of it all is amazing!
My favourites so far have been the scarecrow painting and the old tree, with the clocktower being the best puzzle (I particularly enjoyed creating the hero).
Storywise it’s wafer thin, though, basically amounting to just “work your way up the tower”.
The lay-out of the tower is also somewhat confusing, but since “up” is the only thing of relevance, it’s not bothering me.

I see the game is from 2009. Does that mean it’s one of the very first casuals to completely deviate from HO scenes???

Sefir - 08 February 2015 12:26 PM

For me though, the best painting/scene was with the old tree. Apart from the nice theme and riddles, it felt really cool drawing the clouds with the tablet’s touchscreen!! Smile

Wow, I can see how the touchscreen would add another dimension to the game. A mouse is nowhere near as sexy a tool for drawing… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top