• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #6 – Drawn: The Painted Tower

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thank you so much for your attention to the details, Becky!  That all makes perfect sense now that you’ve put it all together. Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished this lovely game & have read with interest everyone’s thoughts on the game.

Story wise from what I could glean Iris has a special gift of interest to the King & his chancellor so her mother Katherine to keep her out of their clutches sent her to be cared for by Franklin in a stone tower.  It seems that the paintings are her creations of environments that she has the ability to enter & spend time in – but also she seems able to bring items & ‘live’ characters/creatures out of the paintings as seen in this letter to Iris :
“I’m tired of chasing that squirrel all around and cleaning up the painted footprints he leaves behind!
Remember our agreement? Your friends can only exist in the tower as sketches. Thank you, Franklin.”  Franklin also has some concern about one of Iris’s creatures escaping & leading to her being discovered.

You know at the beginning of the game that Iris has been discovered & is trapped at the top of the tower. 

Becky - 18 February 2015 01:33 PM

It seems to be the chancellor’s curse that ruined the paintings and trapped Iris at the top of the tower – I don’t think it was the king’s men. The chancellor appears to have been able to send the curse from afar – perhaps via a storm—so he didn’t have to be in town to perform the curse.

Yes, I think I got the same impression that the curse came about via a storm. As the player it’s interesting that you are able to enter Iris’s paintings but I did think that Franklin couldn’t? :

“I need to know when you are going to spend a long period of time in your paintings. Your mother asked me to keep you safe. When you go to your treehouse for 2 days and I can’t find you anywhere….....”

My thought was that if Franklin couldn’t neither could anyone else (apart from yourself) & as an additional retreat/hiding place for Iris that’s why they were ruined?

Becky - 18 February 2015 01:33 PM

So there’s evil magic being used, but there’s also good, protective magic being used. For instance:

Griffon guard: “The gate has been shut tight due to the dragon’s attack. Only by proving you’re friend not foe may you pass.”

So there was some protective magic that was triggered should anyone succeed in getting that far.

I’m sure that the dragon painting wasn’t ruined because the chancellor (or whoever ruined the other paintings) feared to do so! So is the dragon a friend or foe? Bearing in mind it’s one of Iris’s ‘worlds’ I’m thinking that the dragon was possibly protecting her??  I’m thinking that the dragon may be quite significant in the sequels possibly!

Another thought was that as the player accessing Iris’s paintings to get help from her friends & solving the puzzles as well as ‘un-trapping’ her led her into the path of the enemy – I just love the way she drew a picture to escape into!

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The dragon in the painting is a good foe. After all it is Iris’ creation. But the creation is a result of outside influences. Particularly Frederick’s dragon stories.

So it may be a good dragon that, unfortunately is imbued with a bit of evil. Kind of like a good dog/bad dog scenario. The pup that is the most loving dog you could hope for, but one that barks at the mailman. I don’t think Iris’ dragon is inherently evil. He’s just inherently a dragon.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I see that Painted Tower finished at 132 in the bracket of greatest adventure games. While I think it deserved better than that, it is also the only “casual” represented on the list. Which is better than any casual ever finished in an AGGIE.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 19 February 2015 11:37 PM

I see that Painted Tower finished at 132 in the bracket of greatest adventure games. While I think it deserved better than that, it is also the only “casual” represented on the list. Which is better than any casual ever finished in an AGGIE.

It was also #76 in the staff’s Top 100! Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I went back and looked at the review. Very positive. Although, at times, it did seem to go out of its way to make sure everyone knew this was a CASUAL game. I think that bit of editorializing was unnecessary. Those that “knew” it was a casual didn’t care. Those that didn’t know and enjoyed it anyway also didn’t care. So why categorize it?

I haven’t gone through this list in a long while. I’m surprised how many of my favorite games, FPFP and Gemini Rue to name two, rank lower than Painted Tower.

Just shows how great this trilogy is.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Do we have a tentative start date for D2?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m open to starting Drawn 2 anytime this one winds down.  It’s a longer game than this one and will need a bit more time, I think.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess we need to know if anyone out there is still playing. And/or whether there are still some unresolved discussion items.

With the exception of why the dragon painting was the only one left unharmed, I’m ready to move on. Can I assume that this thread will remain open, (as will the Drawn2 thread,) until all three games are completed? If that’s the case, any lingering discussion will still have an open forum.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The threads usually remain open indefinitely. Anyone playing the game at a later point can still chime in with his/her thoughts that way.

Once the Drawn 2 thread is up, I’ll unsticky this one, though. Too many stickied threads as it is already, imo, and besides, you can find the relevant threads easily enough here...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Yes, of course.
It is a seperate game after all.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think everyone who was playing with us, except for Harold, has finished the game.  If it’s okay with everyone, I’d like to put up the next thread this Wednesday.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 February 2015 10:58 AM

I think everyone who was playing with us, except for Harold, has finished the game.  If it’s okay with everyone, I’d like to put up the next thread this Wednesday.

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

We are waiting!! Smile

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 February 2015 10:58 AM

Is this referring to me? I finished the game about a week ago. Sorry if I wasn’t being clear in my last post.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oops!  Sorry about that and the misspelling, Harald.  If we’re not waiting on anyone else, I’ll put the new thread up later today instead of Wednesday.  Stay tuned.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top