• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Does anybody see why I was so grateful that Lady K took over the vote?

I am on my knees, bowing to the Jersey shore.

Thank you Lady K. Thank you.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

All apology to Dave Gilbert!, it would ‘ve been a life experience if you sir was with us at your game’s CPT.
I am too embarrassed really! all i can say Thank You for your acceptance to share your time with us in the first place, but I hope there is another time to do so.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Advie - 16 August 2018 10:41 PM

All apology to Dave Gilbert!, it would ‘ve been a life experience if you sir was with us at your game’s CPT.
I am too embarrassed really! all i can say Thank You for your acceptance to share your time with us in the first place, but I hope there is another time to do so.

Funny thing is though… there is totally an active thread for the game where people share thoughts while playing and Dave has chimed in too. And whats stopping people from playing it more and sharing more in that thread now is… exactly nothing Wink

I will never understand the playthrough drama here.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I really don’t care which game wins, but retracting your vote at the last second is a messed up move, especially when there is a motive behind it to manipulate the results of the vote. You are obviously inviting discord and argument by doing that.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The voting was over at midnight GMT whether I was here on the dot or not.  (It was 8 PM for me here in New Jersey, and I had some real life issues to take care of before I could post.)  I’m sorry for your sake that you didn’t get your post in on time, Doom, but I did state the deadline ahead of time.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That was fun. A close vote. It much more fun that way. And I will nominate the game again too.

One advantage a CPT has over just a simple thread is a CPT is pinned to the top. I find that very handy.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Doom - 16 August 2018 10:33 PM
cyfoyjvx - 16 August 2018 10:22 PM

It’s a nice try, but tell your school teacher when your homework is late that you should not be deducted a grade because you already started writing it, and see how that works for you Smile

This actually worked quite well some 20 years ago. And adventure forums seem far less sophisticated to me, relying on too many fantasy elements compared to real world setting.

Grin

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Advie - 16 August 2018 10:41 PM

The funny thing about all this kerfuffle is that the “tied” games here were likely to be played in the next two CPTs anyway.

It may even suit Dave more to leave it a couple months when his schedule is less hectic and he’s had a bit of downtime from this project.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I may have been away for several months, but I see the drama in the voting threads hasn’t lessened…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel - 17 August 2018 12:53 AM

The voting was over at midnight GMT whether I was here on the dot or not.  (It was 8 PM for me here in New Jersey, and I had some real life issues to take care of before I could post.)  I’m sorry for your sake that you didn’t get your post in on time, Doom, but I did state the deadline ahead of time.

Of course, no problem. May I suggest then to make some corrections to the rules that forbid cancelling or changing votes? Or at least doing so when there are less than 24 hours left? Because I have a feeling this sort of performances will continue in the future.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Doom - 17 August 2018 03:42 PM

Of course, no problem. May I suggest then to make some corrections to the rules that forbid cancelling or changing votes? Or at least doing so when there are less than 24 hours left? Because I have a feeling this sort of performances will continue in the future.

Agreed! This sort of behavior allows for vote manipulation which creates a heated and hostile environment like what happened this time around. If you want to retract your vote, fine, but do it before 24 hours of the final deadline. The voting takes 3 weeks, so you have plenty of time to change your mind before then.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

SoccerDude - 17 August 2018 03:50 PM
Doom - 17 August 2018 03:42 PM

retract your vote, fine, but do it before 24 hours of the final deadline. The voting takes 3 weeks, so
Agreed! This sort of behavior allows for vote manipulation which creates a heated and hostile environment like what happened this time around. If you want to you have plenty of time to change your mind before then.

The heated and hostile environment was triggered by a member trying to manipulate the voting by cheating. I’m both amazed & dismayed that the sneaky & dishonest attempt to submit a second vote for a game from an alternative account seems to be relatively inconsequential compared to the ‘terrible crime’ of retracting a vote.

I personally think members should have the right to retract their vote up until the end of voting if they so wish.
I would go along with a rule to forbid this within the last 24 hours of voting if that’s what others would like but only on the proviso that this rule becomes invalid in the event of any hint of cheating as that’s plenty good reason to retract your vote in protest as cyfoyjvx did!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think the 24-hour rule is a good one, but I think we should all consider our preferences carefully before we vote.  As SoccerDude said, we do have 3 weeks to make up our minds. 

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 17 August 2018 05:00 PM

The heated and hostile environment was triggered by a member trying to manipulate the voting by cheating. I’m both amazed & dismayed that the sneaky & dishonest attempt to submit a second vote for a game from an alternative account seems to be relatively inconsequential compared to the ‘terrible crime’ of retracting a vote.

Absolutely agree. The implication is that it’s OK to cheat as long as you fess up. But it’s horrible if someone decides to change a vote as a result of the cheater’s actions.

chrissie - 17 August 2018 05:00 PM

I personally think members should have the right to retract their vote up until the end of voting if they so wish. I would go along with a rule to forbid this within the last 24 hours of voting if that’s what others would like but only on the proviso that this rule becomes invalid in the event of any hint of cheating as that’s plenty good reason to retract your vote in protest as cyfoyjvx did!  Thumbs Up

I agree with all of this. But it’s iffy. Hard to make rules when the situation might be flexible. I remember a situation a few years ago when a game was a certain winner. And then, all of a sudden, IHNMAIMS became available on GOG. People changed their votes across the board. Don’t know if you can plan for something like that.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 16 August 2018 09:31 PM
Oscar - 16 August 2018 09:04 PM
rtrooney - 16 August 2018 08:41 PM

Personally, I think the person in question should be banned from participating in the next three playthroughs.

I think Dale handled it nicely. Whoever it was owned up and has learned his/her lesson, and banning a user for the next three playthroughs might reveal who it was leading to further animosity on the forum. Let’s just forgive and forget.

What exactly do you think that learned lesson was? That you shouldn’t cheat? But if you do and privately fess up there are no consequences?

I would say the lesson was that you can’t cheat and get away with it. That would have been pretty embarrassing don’t you think? If it wasn’t then the cheater would have denied it was them. I can’t see them doing it again, unless we resort to “blame and shame”.

As for the retracted vote, I agree with chrissie. And what would be the point of being unable to retract a vote if you’ve just finished the game and therefore aren’t going to play it? Shivers had more active players and so deserved to win.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top