• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Jatsie - 18 November 2012 11:52 PM

I’m not quite sure how the publisher goes from “we must rush this for a Christmas release!” to “we don’t want this getting lost amongst all the other titles being released in time for Christmas!” It’s not like anything has changed, Christmas is always a busy time for game releases, so why the change of heart? Perhaps they’re just behind on schedule and something had to give.

This, more than any other clue, confirms that Telltale must be the publisher.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

This has been quite a wild ride.

It seems most signs point toward Telltale being the developer/publisher. I think Phoenix Online may be too busy with Cognition and TSL Episode 5, not to mention the fact that today Jane confirmed Phoenix Online is developing Moebius (which is great news!).

But at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Mystery Game X is a Grim Fandango sequel written by Roberta Williams.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

While I think it’s probably a longshot that Telltale purchased the rights to Gabriel Knight and are now making an episodic Gabriel Knight, I just don’t understand why Jane would be so “don’t worry you will be very excited” kind of talk if it is just some new unknown property. I mean, come on. There’s only one thing that gets the fans of Jane Jensen excited that that’s more Gabriel Knight. Gray Matter would be next but even that is no where near the same level.

I still doubt cause I find it hard to believe this actually happened, but its the only thing that makes sense based on her comments. I can’t think of one single thing that would apply to making her fans excited. Especially how she emphasizes that every time.

Emily probably knows, but she won’t tell Laughing

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

I’m quite annoyed how they have handled this. Thankfully I’m not that excited anymore, because Telltale is probably involved. I love their Walking Dead series, but haven’t been a fan of their previous adventure games.

When the game is someday finally announced, we have probably waited a full year for just the announcement. After that we probably have to wait another year until all the episodes are released.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Thankfully I love Telltale. Every game series I had absolutely loved (with the exception of the ok Jurassic Park series).

Can’t wait to see whats up Jane’s sleeve…no pun intended.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I think I’d welcome episodic GK, I just hope it doesn’t come off as too corny or cartoony. It needs to be dark. Telltale! It NEEDS to be DARK!

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-05-19

PM

Someone up there mentioned how they’d be disappointed if they didn’t get MGX as part of their Kickstarter rewards, and I think that’s an unfair way to reason. I personally never got the impression that MGX was supposed to be included in the Kickstarter campaign; the whole “you get all games we produce this season” was pertaining to every CSG game they produce, which would mean Moebius, possibly Gray Matter 2 and that third game we got to vote for in the beginning. MGX is something Jane’s studio is developing for someone else, as she’s repeatedly been stating. It’s not up to her to start handing it out to her Kickstarter backers.

Current favourites: Murdered: Soul Suspect, The Talos Principle
Lasting loves: Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight, Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, The Last Express, L.A. Noire, Portal 2

Joined 2007-05-19

PM

ohyesIdid - 19 November 2012 05:43 AM
Dienerstrasse - 19 November 2012 05:36 AM

Someone up there mentioned how they’d be disappointed if they didn’t get MGX as part of their Kickstarter rewards, and I think that’s an unfair way to reason. I personally never got the impression that MGX was supposed to be included in the Kickstarter campaign; the whole “you get all games we produce this season” was pertaining to every CSG game they produce, which would mean Moebius, possibly Gray Matter 2 and that third game we got to vote for in the beginning. MGX is something Jane’s studio is developing for someone else, as she’s repeatedly been stating. It’s not up to her to start handing it out to her Kickstarter backers.

CSG REWARD TIERS
$30 “CSG SUPPORTER”
One game of your choice, Moebius or Mystery Game X
Full access to our CSG members club forum and video updates
http://pinkertonroad.com/join-csg/

Well, I stand corrected. Wink Guess they changed it after I pledged.

Lasting loves: Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight, Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, The Last Express, L.A. Noire, Portal 2

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Pinkerton Road is offering 3 games in the first cycle.

- Lola & Lucy: interactive e-book that will be provided on PC/Mac in December to $50+ backers
- Moebius: voted for by community
- MGX: not funded by the kickstarter, but offered as a reward for backers at certain tiers (or they can choose MGX instead of Moebius below $50 pledges)

Before the MGX deal was announced, it was just Moebius and Lola & Lucy. But MGX is not a game being internally developed by Pinkerton Road, and all the kickstarter funds have gone into Moebius.

Basically, during the campaign it was made clear that at $15 and $30 you would have the option to choose MGX once it was announced. At $50 and up you get all three games.

Joined 2007-05-19

PM

And chalk me up as another one who thinks this is going to be episodic Gabriel Knight by Telltale! I think Jane Jensen knows by now how careful she has to be not to say anything that might give her fans false hope about a return of GK, so after what she’s been hinting about MGX so far, I don’t see how it can’t be GK-related. It’d seem like a really bad move to build up the hype and then disappointing lots of people when the actual game isn’t “exciting enough”...

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 November 2012 01:11 AM

This, more than any other clue, confirms that Telltale must be the publisher.

If Telltale is the publisher then I’ll be less than thrilled, mostly because they’re not what I’d consider to be a publisher in any traditional sense. Telltale’s business model relies on self-publishing via digital distribution, and on those occasions when they do create physical copies to sell in stores they then have to employ the services of an actual publisher to realise it.

This quite different to what I’d initially imagined when Jane said she was working with a publisher. The impression was very much that she’d obtained the backing of a sizeable and widely-regarded organisation, with a comprehensive marketing team behind it, and the resources to print a slew of copies. Even though the identity was kept secret it gave an added air of credibility to the MGX premise, despite no solid details being given.

If it just turns out to be a self-published Telltale episodic, outsourced Pinkerton Road, then’ll feel like I was lead down the garden path a little bit. Merely collaborating with another online distributor doesn’t instil me with that same level of confidence or excitement about an unknown property, even if it is a Jane Jensen work.

Edit:

Hey, guys—you know, I have resisted saying ‘it’s not this’ and ‘it’s not that’, because the more I do that the clearer it becomes what it IS.

However.

I’m not working with Telltale.

Jane

I may have done a little prodding, hehe.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Has nobody considered that the mention of “episode” may just be there to catch you all off-guard when they *do* announce what MGX is?
Maybe it’s a remake of GK1 after all, with a remake of GK2 and GK3 planned as well… GK1 then being the “first episode”... Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Robert Holmes on kickstarter: The CSG members on $50 and above will receive the full game, not just one episode.

This certainly puts one of my worries to rest.

Jatsie, where is Jane’s quote coming from?

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

A King’s Quest season with a different tone than what we’re used to. Graham has to find his lost family, we have to solve the mystery of what happened in Daventry, etc. Still a “dark mystery game”.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

TimovieMan - 19 November 2012 11:51 AM

Has nobody considered that the mention of “episode” may just be there to catch you all off-guard when they *do* announce what MGX is?
Maybe it’s a remake of GK1 after all, with a remake of GK2 and GK3 planned as well… GK1 then being the “first episode”... Wink

Very interesting angle, but very unlikely as well I think. I’m saying that because Jane confirmed that, regardless of the reward tier, those who choose MGX will receive all its episodes (the number of which is yet unknown).

In other words, I doubt a $50 pledge would allow me to get copies of Lola & Lucy, Moebius, and all three Gabriel Knight remakes.

It would be kick-butt awesome and the best news ever, but again I think it’s unlikely.  Sarcastic

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top