• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Abhi D.CaliMonkJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 68: Yoomurjak’s Ring

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Yeah congratulations to anyone that figured that on his own. There are 2 references for this puzzle. First one is almost impossible to find on your own. Just saying because without hints you could get stuck for days on it. If you understand first one then second reference is a lot easier to find if you had done a lot of exploring and kept notes.

I know my post is little spoiler but i doubt that anyone can solve the puzzle based on what i wrote.

Total Posts: 4290

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2021 01:11 PM
zobraks - 17 October 2021 12:43 PM

Do I need something else besides the starsheet solved? “Yes” or “no”, please.

No.

Well, (now that I reset the brain and started browsing the screenshots from the beginning) I noticed a few things that tell me otherwise - I believe I’ll need two more things (one letter and one map) to figure the ring puzzle out.

Edit: Bingo!

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sorry zobraks, I can see that my answer was misleading - I wasn’t thinking beyond the immediate! Oops!

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

It’s OK Chrissie, you did your best to help. Smile

I blame myself for not remembering the twelve towns Gardonyi mentioned. The first time I read the letter (in Day 2) I knew it was something important, yet I failed to recall the list when I needed it.

And there was also this (which I noted duly when posted):

Intense Degree - 24 September 2021 03:38 AM

Letter from Gardonyi to “my brother Benedek”

There’s more wine chat, but also a reassurance that Gardonyi has not become a hermit. In fact, he has recently visited 12 towns in Hungary, which he names. How odd.

Edit: Here I am he is.

mjp

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I came to the end of Yoomurjak’s Ring.

Now I’m sad. I’m always sad when I finish a good game.
Yoomurjak’s Ring must be a very very good game judging by my sadness.

mjp

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

zobraks - 19 October 2021 07:12 AM

I came to the end of Yoomurjak’s Ring.

Now I’m sad. I’m always sad when I finish a good game.
Yoomurjak’s Ring must be a very very good game judging by my sadness.

Don’t be sad, there’s the sequel.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I know, and it makes me even sadder - I don’t have Miazma. Frown

mjp

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I did really like Miazma too & it’s quite a bit easier but for me doesn’t quite have the unique charm of Yoomurjak’s Ring. It has a different story but I would have loved it if the developers had made a prequel to YR instead set back in the time of Pal Abray & Jonathan Hunt’s grandfather etc.

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I ll post my review here also:

Yoomurjak’s ring is not an easy game to review. Its the first FMV adventure i have played so i cant really compare it with other of its kind. If i had to summarize my experience i would say that is a game with high production standards, good actors, good story, nice pacing and pretty long. But at the same time i think it fails miserably of creating a fun gameplay experience. Playing the game without a walkthrough or a guide is very frustrating. There are very few hints in the game and you get stuck very often. There is almost no direction on what to do. Also there is a lot of pixel hunting and failing to find an interaction on screen leads to dead ends without the game hinting about it. I played more than half of the game with a walkthrough and the puzzles kept getting harder and with fewer hints. I would not advise this game to an average player if he isnt gonna use a walkthrough. If you are a hardcore gamer with a lot of experience and a lot of time and patience you will probably like the game because excluding puzzles and difficulty rest of the game is pretty interesting and fun.

I wanna say thanks to Intense Degree for doing a great job leading this game and trying to help with some very needed hints. I can see that most of you really liked the game and i can understand why. There is a certain charm to it and sometimes it felt like i was visiting Eger for real. The actors are loveable, the story is deep and the cut scenes well made.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I haven’t had much time to play the 5th chapter - I have one of the books and I think I’ll have another very soon.

But I wanted to share my feelings about chapter 4 and the beginning of chapter 5 before everyone’s done here.

Chapter 4 was interesting and mostly fun too. I would have really liked the heraldry puzzle too, if a couple of those hints weren’t too vague for me, eventually making it a guessing game even though most of the crest was surely correct.

I met more wonderful smaller characters, some friendly:

And some less friendly:

From the somewhat major characters I really like the friendly librarian (I have a library degree myself) and he seems to be just as thirsty towards Jonathan as all the women are.

In chapter 5 I met a character even less friendly:

I have felt the fist a few times now. I managed to navigate to the spots he was in a couple of times in a row (or maybe it’s intended that he’ll be in most places until you figure out the way to avoid him) and I don’t know if it’s possible to make him move locations by any other means than meeting the fist. So I’ve been seeing it again whenever I need to visit the occupied location, and poor Jonathan really tries to spell the solution to avoiding him out to me. Sorry, you’re just going to have to take it if I have any business in the location…

I do like the idea of a larger puzzle that can be solved in somewhat non-linear order. I’ve been entertained so far, though I am already smelling some lack of adequate hints here and there and seriously doubt my possibilities to solve this thing completely. But I haven’t been completely stumped yet, so I’ll continue until I am.

I was also quite amused when I was given a key without anyone telling me where the door is. I’m sure I’ll find it with the hints given, but who hands over the key to someone without telling them where to enter? Sheesh.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

millenia - 19 October 2021 02:11 PM

I’ve been entertained so far, though I am already smelling some lack of adequate hints here and there and seriously doubt my possibilities to solve this thing completely. But I haven’t been completely stumped yet, so I’ll continue until I am.

Whatever you do - don’t look at a walkthrough! The puzzles of the Day 5 can all be solved with (a lot of) patience and some lateral thinking.
If you get stuck there’s a lot of players who can now help you with hints.

Good luck, and remember:

P.S. If you get completely stuck, first take a break. I always got an idea (or two) after taking long breaks.
Read a book or go for a walk or play with your dog or play the bassoon Wink and it will come to you.

mjp

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

zobraks - 19 October 2021 02:21 PM
millenia - 19 October 2021 02:11 PM

I’ve been entertained so far, though I am already smelling some lack of adequate hints here and there and seriously doubt my possibilities to solve this thing completely. But I haven’t been completely stumped yet, so I’ll continue until I am.

Whatever you do - don’t look at a walkthrough! The puzzles of the Day 5 can all be solved with (a lot of) patience and some lateral thinking.
If you get stuck there’s a lot of players who can now help you with hints.

There’s plenty of hints in Day 5 millenia, I myself wasn’t clever enough but zobraks is right that everything you need is all there!

Nico2021, I liked your review but the game was solvable for anyone that wanted to pay enough attention to the details & I will say again that we’re flooded with too many other games that don’t offer any challenge!

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

chrissie - 19 October 2021 02:37 PM

Nico2021, I liked your review but the game was solvable for anyone that wanted to pay enough attention to the details & I will say again that we’re flooded with too many other games that don’t offer any challenge!

Thanks for liking my review. It is true that the hints were there. Its just very hard to make the connection between them and the puzzles. At least for me, but then i m not very experienced with adventures and the challenge was just too much. I dont doubt that there are people out there like Zobraks that are able to finish this without help, but for me its just too much effort and i m not that patient.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I have the 5 books, though I did get a bit of help.

Like many others, I was stuck with the piano. This really annoys me, because I swear I did think about the typewriter at some point, but then all the clues really rammed it towards the piano, and because I always suck at music puzzles, I got blindsided. I didn’t read the hint from here though, my spouse was googling about the piano steps and then looked at the solution, and hinted that I shouldn’t be staring at the stupid piano.

But my troubles with that book didn’t end here. I had only found four letters behind the paintings, B K R Z. The clues obviously pointed towards the portrait of the lady with an R, but I tried all the combinations of B, R and Z to finish the name, because I couldn’t figure out what the other painting(s) was supposed to be. I still don’t. I peeked at some comments here and noticed a clue about a soup and yeah, we have those too. What really sucks is I had been thinking about it when I just thought whatever the last letter or possibly two could be in general, but I didn’t try it out, because it wasn’t one of the options. Meh. Where is the second R?

And I also just forced through the maze. I had both sketches and I even thought about looking at the lines instead of the empty spaces, like I see IntenseDegree had hinted on, but still I coun’t make heads or tails from it. I just went in, drew a map and really found it very fast. I walked into a few dead ends in the beginning, but once I got further in, I walked to the correct spot without a problem. Lucky, or are there multiple routes to it?

And earlier I mentioned getting the key but no address. It seems I had a map marker after all, but really there was no mention of it, it took me a while to notice it!

Books 1,2 and 3 were quite easy, though it took me a while to find the lover’s seat.

I combined the star and left the game there for now. Having a cold, so brain stops working without proper rest.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Nico2021 - 19 October 2021 04:32 PM

I dont doubt that there are people out there like Zobraks that are able to finish this without help

I usually jump to the walkthrough like anyone else (IF a game is bad), but this time the game struck the right cord in me, and I wanted to solve as much as I can on my own, which I did.
I can’t recall a single game I didn’t need some kind of help with* - so I used hints (from Intense Degree and Chrissie) in this one too (hell, I had to even look at a walkthrough when I was sure which four points a player should draw lines between but failed to do so again and again), but on the whole I’m very proud of what I achieved in the course of this playthrough.
*Carol Reed games included Laughing
Seeing how much effort had been invested in Yoomurjak’s ring I somehow felt obliged to solve the puzzles on my own. Call me mad, but that’s what I felt.

P.S. I still haven’t figured out the diagram with crossed lines, but I’ll work again on that soon.

millenia - 19 October 2021 05:22 PM

I couldn’t figure out what the other painting(s) was supposed to be. I still don’t.

Well, actually it’s not a painting at all.
I was lucky enough to spot the letter in Day 1 or 2, so I figured it out. Otherwise I’d look for a painting, just like you.

I failed to find a mention of Casagrande anywhere else in the game save for the Gardonyi papers handed to Jonathan by Auntie Iza. It’s an important clue.
They should have put the reference in that Eger brochure, which is useless (like the ocarina - great red herring).

This game requires a lot of looking at everything. I did so all the time and, besides plenty of red herrings (I found 12 places around Eger with the symbols used in Book 2 puzzle which have no use at all, except to distract a player), managed to catch some good fish too. Grin

Where is the second R?

It’s in the vicinity of the Basilica.

I just went in, drew a map and really found it very fast. I walked into a few dead ends in the beginning, but once I got further in, I walked to the correct spot without a problem. Lucky, or are there multiple routes to it?

That’s what I did too, but unlike you I went left at the first junction and had to traipse a lot. If you go right at the junction then there are less tunnels to explore. And there’s only one way to the right/correct spot (which is also in the ‘right branch’ of the maze).

zobraks - 13 October 2021 02:19 PM

Here’s my map of the maze: link.

You’ll notice that there are some turns in the right part of the maze (everything right from the first junction) that I haven’t explored. I was lucky enough to get to the ‘correct place’ quickly.

I combined the star and left the game there for now.

You’re in front of a puzzle that stumped me. Chrissie had some good hints about it (I’m not joking!**), so you can use them or ask for additional help. Just bear in mind that you need something else, beside the solved starsheet, to tackle this puzzle.

**I (luckily) didn’t check all of them, I saw the one about color-coding and misinterpreted it. Tongue

P.S. Get well soon.

mjp

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top