• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 68: Yoomurjak’s Ring

Total Posts: 4292

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

There’s been a similar quiz (posted by Diego, I think) featuring game designers’ notes and drawings.

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Thats some serious dedication Zobraks. I have to admit that before a year when i started playing text adventures, i fell victim of drawing some maps myself. Actually i had a lot of fun doing it, but after a point the fact i could find the maps ready on internet combined with the fact that it was too much work made me stop doing it. Still remember though how i was trying to map zork games and i have good memories.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I enjoy drawing things from adventure games. If a puzzle is tough sometimes it helps to draw its elements in a notebook and ponder some more over it while drawing. Sometimes you get a new perspective, in most cases you understand the mechanics of complicated puzzles better. In any case it is helpful for me, if only to have everything ready for the second time I play the game (if it’s good). And I prefer my own maps/schemes/diagrams to those I can find on the Internet. Makes me more satisfied at the end of the day.

Mind you, I only do this kind of research if a game is good and I like it (like Yoomurjak’s Ring) - in that case I’m ready to spend additional time in figuring out what game designers had on their mind. If a game is crappy (in my opinion) I use a walkthrough or any other kind of help without hesitation.

mjp

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

zobraks, those are some pretty sweet homebrew infocom-style feelies.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Too bad I haven’t started playing interactive fiction/text adventures already. Embarassed

mjp

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

After a frustrating start to the final chapter on investigating the books in the library the rest of the game seemed to flow along to conclusion…..
……except for finding the co-ordinates for the ring!
I thought it was a very good puzzle but relied on remembering details seen in notes in an earlier chapter which would have rung a bell if I’d just bothered to jot down the significant number of towns visited & their names

I thought actually that 12 was over the top & a good example of ‘less is more’ as the puzzle would have been just as good & less tedious with half the number!

On getting to where you go I would’ve liked to have known a little more about how the lab evolved, where the supporters came from, how it was kept secret & how it was upgraded to the digital world? Also if you don’t want to impact on the future how do you know that any of your recruits won’t cause a small ripple when they go back in time?

My favourite type of puzzle is like the one in the the cellar where everything you need is confined to that location - it took a while though to pinpoint the nail

Anyway, I’ve enjoyed this game so much more the second time around although I was very impressed the first time but at the time had far less time to invest. It has an interesting plot, charismatic characters with great voice acting & some very good, if challenging puzzles. Just two of them I thought were unfair - the one in Gardonyl’s house needed to have had a wider sweep to pinpont the exact places, & the door keypad sound puzzle. 

I loved the way the game ended but I was left with an Ocarina in my inventory which I never found a use for - anyone?
I did wonder whether it was a nod to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? 

Total Posts: 7488

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nico2021 - 16 October 2021 05:04 AM

Thats some serious dedication Zobraks. I have to admit that before a year when i started playing text adventures, i fell victim of drawing some maps myself. Actually i had a lot of fun doing it, but after a point the fact i could find the maps ready on internet combined with the fact that it was too much work made me stop doing it. Still remember though how i was trying to map zork games and i have good memories.

I tend to avoid maps on the internet because they are usually very spoilerish: how big the game is, all floors and levels are visible, including secret rooms/passages.

Why not join our next text adventure community playthrough? Great fun! Cool
(And the leader produces any maps.)

zobraks - 16 October 2021 07:42 AM

Too bad I haven’t started playing interactive fiction/text adventures already. Embarassed

(You can also draw your own maps.)

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 16 October 2021 08:48 AM

(You can also draw your own maps.)

Because I’m too lazy/can’t find enough time. Confused
This is the first game I have played since April of 2020. The cold rainy spell on Balkans also helped.
When the weather is decent I’m off to hills and mountains.

mjp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 16 October 2021 08:56 AM

Because I’m too lazy/can’t find enough time. Confused

All you have to do is read the thread and post from time to time, not nearly as much work as playing the game yourself. You do post, don’t you.

This is the first game I have played since April of 2020. The cold rainy spell on Balkans also helped. When the weather is decent I’m off to hills and mountains.

Yes, but it’s already autumn. No more hills and mountains for you.
Oh wait… you have your woodcutting to keep you busy in wintertime.  Tongue

PS: I envy you. Holland is so very flat, with only a few molehills in the south.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 16 October 2021 09:11 AM

it’s already autumn. No more hills and mountains for you.

Wrong. The best part of the climbing season (for me) begins in autumn. Smile

Karlok - 16 October 2021 09:11 AM

I envy you. Holland is so very flat, with only a few molehills in the south.

You can’t have it all. You have the high standard of living, I have the mountain peaks.

Two weeks ago:

I won’t go off topic again, I promise.

mjp

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I live near a very slight elevation of land and for some reason it’s called a mountain. Not just locally, but on maps and as a selling point for tourism. Here’s an example:

“Het doel van de wandeling is het beklimmen van de Lochemse berg. Bovenop staat een stenen uitzichttoren uit 1893 met de naam Belvédère.”

The goal of the hike is climbing the Lochem mountain. There’s a stone lookout tower from 1893 on top, with the name Belvédère.”

(it’s 10 km walk, just barely uphill)

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Maybe in the future. I checked the posts in the past but i didnt understand if those text adventures are made by viewers or they are commercial. Anyway, truth to be told i barely manage to stay in time with current playthrough with real life and everything. But then i have to admit that this game hasnt really clicked for me. Acting and story is fine but puzzles and difficulty level and the fact that i play on touchpad havent made the game too enjoyable.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Nico2021 - 16 October 2021 10:01 AM

.......i have to admit that this game hasnt really clicked for me. Acting and story is fine but puzzles and difficulty level and the fact that i play on touchpad havent made the game too enjoyable.

Nico2021, I can understand why the puzzles and difficulty level would put players off & why the game didn’t click from that point of view for you. But I’m curious, as I’ve never played anything on a touchpad apart from briefly years ago, in what way did you find playing on a touchpad add to diminishing the experience?  Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nico2021 - 16 October 2021 10:01 AM

Maybe in the future. I checked the posts in the past but i didnt understand if those text adventures are made by viewers or they are commercial.

We’ve had 10 CPs so far. Only the first and the last ones were commercial games: Plundered Hearts and Bureaucracy, both by Infocom. We decide on a game, someone offers to lead the CP and he/she is the only one who actually plays the game and posts the game’s responses to the input from the participants aka the hive mind. So it’s not like the normal CPs.

Anyway, truth to be told i barely manage to stay in time with current playthrough with real life and everything.

A text adventure CP is not as time-consuming as playing a game. Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Just to keep the thread on track about the current playthrough & get back to it I hope you don’t mind if I repeat my last comments about the game. Smile

chrissie - 16 October 2021 08:07 AM

After a frustrating start to the final chapter on investigating the books in the library the rest of the game seemed to flow along to conclusion…..
……except for finding the co-ordinates for the ring!
I thought it was a very good puzzle but relied on remembering details seen in notes in an earlier chapter which would have rung a bell if I’d just bothered to jot down the significant number of towns visited & their names

I thought actually that 12 was over the top & a good example of ‘less is more’ as the puzzle would have been just as good & less tedious with half the number!

On getting to where you go I would’ve liked to have known a little more about how the lab evolved, where the supporters came from, how it was kept secret & how it was upgraded to the digital world? Also if you don’t want to impact on the future how do you know that any of your recruits won’t cause a small ripple when they go back in time?

My favourite type of puzzle is like the one in the the cellar where everything you need is confined to that location - it took a while though to pinpoint the nail

Anyway, I’ve enjoyed this game so much more the second time around although I was very impressed the first time but at the time had far less time to invest. It has an interesting plot, charismatic characters with great voice acting & some very good, if challenging puzzles. Just two of them I thought were unfair - the one in Gardonyl’s house needed to have had a wider sweep to pinpont the exact places, & the door keypad sound puzzle. 

I loved the way the game ended but I was left with an Ocarina in my inventory which I never found a use for - anyone?
I did wonder whether it was a nod to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top