You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #1481

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Replaying Beyond good and Evil for.. perhaps the fifth time now. It's amazing as usual and I love it even more each time I play it.

I've just finished up the report at the Slaughter House and heading back to the IRIS Headquarters @ the Akuda Bar.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #1482
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
Replaying Beyond good and Evil for.. perhaps the fifth time now. It's amazing as usual and I love it even more each time I play it.

I've just finished up the report at the Slaughter House and heading back to the IRIS Headquarters @ the Akuda Bar.
That's my favorite game! Yeah, yeah, I know, it doesn't exactly qualify as a adventure game, especially by this forum's standards, but I've never seen a narrative this good coupled with such a fun game with such great characters.

I've been meaning to replay it myself. Perhaps after my move.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #1483

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
That's my favorite game! Yeah, yeah, I know, it doesn't exactly qualify as a adventure game, especially by this forum's standards, but I've never seen a narrative this good coupled with such a fun game with such great characters.

I've been meaning to replay it myself. Perhaps after my move.
It's easily one of my all time favorite games too, and I don't think that it's all that far away from a game that is considered being an adventure game; Dreamfall.

Anyway, I just acquired the Beluga and I'm spending time just flying around, looking down on Hillys beautiful landscape and surroundings!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #1484

Don't get me wrong here guys but I don't share everyone's optimism with BG&E. I found it's Zelda influence to be worn too high on its shoulders i.e. the controls dated as was the dungeon crawling, and its messages on propaganda to be a bit condescending. That being said, I do understand the game was targetted at a younger generation.

I still applause them for making the game. It deserved more attention and I'll support the sequel. I just hope the 2nd game tries to come into its own.

My 13 year-old sister adores the game just as much as you guys do.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #1485
kamikaze hummingbirds

Just started playing Fallout 3 - I'm challenging my character, Plankton Stunthorse, to be moderately non-violent, but still at heart a real bastard.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #1486
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I found it's Zelda influence to be worn too high on its shoulders i.e. the controls dated as was the dungeon crawling
I think the similarity to Zelda is overstated. Zelda never had stealth gameplay, and to my knowledge it has never had anything similar to the hovercraft usage which is very prominent in this game. It only gets compared to Zelda because Ocarina of Time is one of the most popular games in this genre; keep in mind, most of the Zelda franchise consists of 2d games. In actuality, it's more similar to the Prince of Persia series -- it uses the same game engine, and BG&E was the first game to use it (it's called the "Jade Engine").
Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #1487
The Quiet One

I'm trying to finish off the Time Trials on Mirror's Edge. I have about 3 more achievements left to get and then i'm officially done. Unfortunately, timed challenges like those really bug the hell out of me. The sooner i've beaten them the better.

I'll probably restart/replay SOMI: SE on my PC soon means i've completely beaten the XBLA version.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #1488
Stalker of Britain

I'm playing "Kings Quest 3: To Heir is Human", and HATE it!! Waiting for the wizard to come and say he's going on a trip took me more than 7 times to restart it before he ever said it to me, and it's so easy to die in a snap. I know the other Kings Quest games are like this, but this is jsut crazy!!! I'm only playing through it because I like the series, and I want to know the full story.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #1489
Junior Mint

Gotta SAVE a lot in KQ games. LOL!

I could TELL you the story if you want, LOL... KQ3 is one of the FEW adventure games I actually finished when I was a kid, and I probably played through it about 20 times. I still have the whole thing memorized, even though I probably haven't played it since I was in junior high.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #1490
Banned User

Not to mention, a lot of the KQ games have dead ends....its really annoying. Still the games are awesome.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #1491
Stalker of Britain

Oh yeah. Stupid stairs kill me many times over. And a lot of the actions seem like random, like if you don't have a saved game, you'll die, and you have to wait around for something obscure you need to do. I hated the waiting and being timed in this game. But I LOVED the next game, I'm going to say somethin about it in the "Last Finished Game" thread.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Don't get me wrong here guys but I don't share everyone's optimism with BG&E. I found it's Zelda influence to be worn too high on its shoulders i.e. the controls dated as was the dungeon crawling, and its messages on propaganda to be a bit condescending. That being said, I do understand the game was targetted at a younger generation.

I still applause them for making the game. It deserved more attention and I'll support the sequel. I just hope the 2nd game tries to come into its own.

My 13 year-old sister adores the game just as much as you guys do.
As booB wrote, the comparing with Zelda is kind of overstated.
And what about the propaganda was condescending? And heck, I'm 20 years old, am I still part of that 'younger generation' you were referring to?

I've been looking forward to a sequel ever since I finished the game for the first time, but from what I've seen in trailers and such, they're making a Mirror's Edge ripoff! I sure hope it will be more like the original than Mirror's Edge. I loved that game too, but I just don't want to play BGE trying to be ME..
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #1493
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
I've been looking forward to a sequel ever since I finished the game for the first time, but from what I've seen in trailers and such, they're making a Mirror's Edge ripoff! I sure hope it will be more like the original than Mirror's Edge. I loved that game too, but I just don't want to play BGE trying to be ME..
From what I understand, those are cut scenes, not gameplay scenes. I'm sure the sequel will stay third-person.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #1494
delusions of adequacy

King's Bounty: The Legend.

Its been a while since I played a game to literal exhaustion. Late one evening I switched off to read the manual and some guides but once deprived of the adrenalin of play I passed out...

It appears to use a lush version of the Warcraft 3 engine (a guess on my part) and is quite beautiful. I thoroughly enjoy the turn based combat on a hexagonal grid, Its nice to get an SRPG on the PC (a staple of my DS library) that's a visual as well as gameplay joy.

Some caveats though, the english translation is a bit iffy in places, but not terrible, there's no voice acting its just poorly written like my posts.

You're thrown in head first. There is no tutorial at all on the major mechanic of hiring armies! Once you get out of knight training buy whoever you can afford from the king and the temple to your left.

Enemy armies/monster encounters are displayed on the adventure map but you need to invest in the scout skill to determine how strong they are and their make up. The starting area has encounters you can beat right now, and encounters you won't until you're many hours older and as much as 8 to 10 levels higher, walking around right near each other. Thankfully you're a knight and that comes with a horse and you can lure enemies on the adventure map away from their guarded treasure. You can always flee a battle once its started, but as the commander it comes at the cost of your army etc...

As an added plus to all that srpg goodness, its loaded with quick and quirky quests (they're all tongue in cheek) and a deep magic system that covers the gamut of regular spell books, scrolls and mana to directly aid your troops in battle, to demonic rage fueled super powers you can call upon to turn the tide by bargaining with powerful sorcerers trapped in Pandora's box (which you find early on). Oh and a skill tree like Diablo 2/3 for your hero, and items of power to wear, oh and wives, and children... and mods.... and an expansion due out very soon... I'm not going to get much sleep for a while.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
From what I understand, those are cut scenes, not gameplay scenes. I'm sure the sequel will stay third-person.
But they are third-person, at least the ones I've seen. But if they are cut scenes it's a bit more ok I think. Sure hope the gameplay is more like the original
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #1496
-H-

Now i'm playing "Day Of The Tentacle". I'm amazed by how entertaining this game can be. I've enjoyed every minute of it and i can't believe how long took me to give it a shot.

Great, great game.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #1497
Stalker of Britain

I got into the first few seconds of gameplay in "Kings Quest 7: Princeless Bride", and gave up on it, sick to my stomach. I wanted to play through the series, but this I just can't get into. Uck. First, I really hate cartoony/kiddy/comedy type games, and the beginning cutscene just oozed with it. I couldn't really make Valence look around anywhere, and I couldn't run it fullscreen, just a tiny little box. When a jackrabbit or something started sticking it's tongue out at her, the over-kiddish of it all overwhelmed me. I do want to know the story, but I just can't get myself to play it. I mean, I got more into Syberia than this, and people know how I have misgivings about that game.

So, worst disappointments for me; Rhem, yep, Darkness Within, yep, and now add, Kings Quest 7.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #1498
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Still on Day 2 in Art of Murder: FBI Confidential. I was playing it at the same time as Darkness Within, but will probably spend more time on it now that I've finished DW.

I didn't get too far into Simon the Sorcerer 4 and don't think I'll get back to it anytime soon, it annoyed the heck out of me from the very opening cutscene. Looks too similar to Everlight, by the same German developers.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #1499
merely human

Silent Hill: Origins

Still deep in the Sanitarium.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #1500
Stalker of Britain

I'm not very far into "Syberia". I'm still in the beginning town, and I'm hoping to get more into the story. I haven't even gone into the factory yet.