You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
The only reason I can think of that one would say this about Legend is because of all the tech Lara uses. Certainly, story-wise, TRs 2 and 3 are the least Tomb-Raiderish games in the franchise, as they primarily involve hiking through modern man-made environments, and fighting mostly humans, as opposed to animals or monsters. Gameplay-wise, I would think that 6 would be the least Tomb-Raiderish game, due to its severely changed control scheme and reliance on stealth. I didn't like 3 because there was WAY too much backtracking in the levels (especially Nevada); I think they wanted to artificially extend the gameplay hours. I didn't like TR 4 and 5 (and stopped playing them both VERY early) because I didn't think the graphics were good enough for what they wanted to do with the games. I had a VERY hard time finding paths through the levels, because I simply couldn't tell where I was supposed to run, grab, etc. The early levels were so brutal that I didn't even want to take on the later ones. I still have never played 6, but I have heard it's the worst of the franchise by far. I can honestly say that Legend is my third favorite game of the franchise, but I have not played Anniversary or Underworld yet.
Legend was basically an action game, with almost no exploration and puzzle solving, and was ridiculous short and extremely easy and linear. Fortunatly the next Crystal games are way better, specially Anniversary. What i liked about The Last Revelation (i replayed it a few weeks ago) are all the aspects i said that Legend didn't have. It's long, hard, has a LOT of exploration in gorgeous enviroments (we can get easily lost) and almost feels like an adventure game with lots of puzzle solving, and good puzzles too, not those irrealistic "find the key/push the block/open door" of previous TR (especially 2 and 3). Angel of Darkness could have been a good game, the levels were great, but those controls were just too clunky. Chronicles is easily the worst of them, but that was almost like a spin off made to get a few more bucks to the AoD budget. Overall in my opinion, 1, 2, 4 and anniversary are the top TR games.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #1522
merely human

Finally easing back into Splinter Cell: Double Agent after a year of not touching it! Almost done taking over the supertanker (which means I'm not that far in the game yet).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-20-2009, 06:12 AM   #1523
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Mirror's Edge
Managed to pick this up cheaply. It's good fun, but it keeps crashing. So I'm not playing it as much as I'd like to be.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #1524
Stalker of Britain

Okay, dorkiness abound. I've recently started replaying an old favorite game from when I was a kid, called, "The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain". You have to complete tasks using different parts of your brain to help the good doctor, and I just fell in love with the different types of "puzzles" throughout. It's a fun, and slightly educational even though I'm now 19, game. I still have difficulty with the medium level.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #1525
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Legend was basically an action game, with almost no exploration and puzzle solving, and was ridiculous short and extremely easy and linear.
My Legend experience is completely different from yours. I find there to be plenty of exploration and puzzle-solving so far (I have gotten through Japan), although the puzzles are mostly of the platforming variety and few or no inventory ones. The action scenes are extremely hard, even on "easy".

Unfortunately, just when I finally decided that I love the game, I have run into a game-killing bug, where I can't resume a saved game because the game just crashes. I can't find anyone else on the internet that has the same problem, and there appears to be no way around it. Oh well... perhaps Legend just isn't in the cards for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Okay, dorkiness abound. I've recently started replaying an old favorite game from when I was a kid, called, "The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain". You have to complete tasks using different parts of your brain to help the good doctor, and I just fell in love with the different types of "puzzles" throughout. It's a fun, and slightly educational even though I'm now 19, game. I still have difficulty with the medium level.
I love that series, particularly "The Castle of Dr. Brain."
Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #1526
Stalker of Britain

(stupid moment) Are we thinking of the same game? I thought it was a stand alone game, I didn't know their were others in a series?!?!
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #1527

Quote:
(stupid moment) Are we thinking of the same game? I thought it was a stand alone game, I didn't know their were others in a series?!?!
Sierra made four Dr. Brain games.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #1528
Stalker of Britain

Once I heard there were other games, I went to look them up. For some reason, I wouldn't want to play all those games, which seems like they would be a lot alike. Nothing can beat the different guises of Rathbone.

On a side note, I was watching some guys play "Gears of War". It looked so bad to me. It was very graphically violent, which I don't mind so much, but that chainsaw sound still gives me the creeps. The people when moving look like their sticking their butts out really high, looking ridiculous. *shakes head*
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #1529
Junior Mint

Quote:
Once I heard there were other games, I went to look them up. For some reason, I wouldn't want to play all those games, which seems like they would be a lot alike.
They are, pretty much. I mentioned "Castle" because it was the first one I played. They're basically primitive versions of Brain Age, or Professor Layton, or [insert-your-own-game-full-of-assorted-brain-teasers-here].
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #1530
Stalker of Britain

Yes, I love the different personalities of Ratbone, and how it makes you think and use different strategies for each new puzzle. I still can't do the medium levels, that freakin' 16 year-olds shopuld be able to do...
Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #1531
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
On a side note, I was watching some guys play "Gears of War". It looked so bad to me. It was very graphically violent, which I don't mind so much, but that chainsaw sound still gives me the creeps. The people when moving look like their sticking their butts out really high, looking ridiculous. *shakes head*
But that's the best part. Well, one of them, anyway.

And they do not look like they're sticking their butts out. Unless they were roadie-running. In which case they're supposed to look like that, because they're crouching.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #1532
merely human

Splinter Cell: DA. Still in Shanghai, trying to negotiate the Chinese New Year dragon to get to Aswat's room. This game is pure suspense.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #1533
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Unless they were roadie-running. In which case they're supposed to look like that, because they're crouching.
Yeah, I guess they were, because they did flips every other second, but it looked so ridiculous. It's like they're the hunchback of dotredamn, trying to show a girl their butts.

Anyway, with action games, I prefer fantasy like Halo to real life. The real life games make me feel like I'm killing people for real, and it's unsettling. I know, I'm a weak-stomached girl.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #1534
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'm wondering whether or not to replay Final Fantasy VI or VII...
Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #1535
The Quiet One

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I've just entered the Botanical Gardens section - following Harley Quinn's trail. It looks like I'm nearing the end. I don't want it to finish.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #1536
merely human

GTA IV: The Lost And The Damned. Just started the Action/Reaction mission.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #1537

Im playing So Blonde (third chapter)

And Death to Spies Moment of truth: (really good game if you like hitman)
Old 08-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #1538
kamikaze hummingbirds

Replaying Final Fantasy VII, as well as playing Fallout 3 for the side-quests.

I don't expect to finish FFVII by the time I set off for university, but I want the first disk finished at least as a good breaking point for when I'd return home during holidays.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #1539

"The Longest Journey": reached the underwater god. Wondering how "long" a journey it still is - I'm getting a bit tired of people constantly telling stories (this game certainly deserves its title in that regard!)

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #1540
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Section 8 (open beta)
Been playing this a bit more before the beta ends in a few hours. On one level, it's just yet-another-FPS, and yet I've been enjoying this a lot. Enough, indeed, that I'm slightly irritated at having to wait a fortnight until I can play it again (it gets released this week in the USA, but not until the end of next week in the UK).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.