You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #1281
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoozelle View Post
How is the party management [in nwn2] ? I am interested in picking this game up but I don't really like a lot of party management. I'm more into Diablo 2's party system than one like what's in Baldur's Gate 2.
Out of the box its very ordinary. You get up to 2 'minions' at a time in nwn 2, and can set them up with very basic AI instructions that differentiate between the basic class functions and try to act accordingly (and fail miserably). If (when) they die during a battle, no big deal because they'll get up at the end of the fight with 1 hit point. You can load them up with stuff too. You never have to manually control them, but you can if you want. If you like the Minions from Diablo 2 then you'll be happy because they're equally stupid in NWN2, charging mindlessly into death.

Should you get NWN2, Its worth the time getting this which updates the henchman AI, and if you want, upgrade the enemy smarts too. Just installing it will improve their behaviour but you can also give detailed instructions and make them perform more to your tastes so you can ignore them all the more handily for the rest of the game.

The original NWN2 campaign is remarkably generic which can be a good thing if you're after a bit of cathartic fantasy gaming. The expansion is better in many respects. You finally get companions, rather than minions in it so it may not be what you're after.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #1282
delusions of adequacy

Recently been playing Oblivion. Its very dull. The initial gloss wore off so quickly, every dungeon looks the same, every region looks the same, the world is populated by clone trees, clone animals and clone npcs right down to their one size fits all wardrobes and their monotonous dialogues about mud crabs spoken with their clone voices.

In desperation I turned to mods on tesnexus, but getting more than a few to work together (and remain stable) is more troublesome than the little value (variation) they add to the game. I found myself returning to tesnexus to get more and more mods that fix this and add that until finally I've decided to give up on it because I spend more time micromanaging mods than actually playing the fucking game.

I clutch my pillow and pray that Oblivion was only half finished because they switched all the talented folks in the team to work on F3.

---

Also just began Mass Effect, and finding it unfortunately far too like kotor with its open vistas and far off terrain cunningly blocked off by boulders, trees, rocks, invisible walls. Why don't they just have a little train I can ride on from start to finish in every single level? I like trains. Its just such a tease. At least shooters have the decency to trap me in boxy claustrophobic corridors that lead from point A to point B...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #1283
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Okami took me around 40 hours to complete and then I didn't bother with the "fillers". Its fresh atmosphere and quality makes it my number one PS2 game. The closest game I've played to Okami is Zelda - Twilight Princess, and the former is way better.
I'm playing through Okami, and so far I'm rather disappointed. First off, everyone was saying it's like Zelda, which just isn't true. Pikmin is like Zelda, Beyond Good & Evil is like Zelda, Okami is not like Zelda. It's an action RPG, and a rather generic one at that. Not that I hate RPGs or anything, but I was led to expect a metalude. Also, everyone acts like it's so creative, and I'm finding most of the game design banal. To continue the comparison with Twilight Princess, that game wasn't cohesive but it was almost consistently clever- the Temple of Time, that final dungeon which is nothing like you'd expect from a final dungeon, the comic-relief dungeon, the big puzzle at the beginning which turns out to all be set-up for a plot twist, etc. That's great design. Okami's is just bland. I've only been through one proper dungeon so far, but there was nothing remarkable about it at all. I'd much rather be outside helping people, but it sticks in a by-the-numbers dungeon just because that's the formula. There's no theme to the dungeon keeping it cohesive, there's no interesting exploring, there aren't any slightly challenging puzzles, the fights are just like the overworld fights but harder. And the story is insufferable. At first I was paying attention, but then it went on and on and on and on without anything happening that's not covered in Clichés 101. And that bug! My god, does he ever shut up?

So, yeah. I don't understand where the positive reaction is coming from. It's got a few nice gimmicks, but they're put into an uninspired experience. With that said, I'm still pretty early in. Maybe it'll get better later.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #1284
Master of time and space

Interesting view. As I said I loved everything about that game and not once during those 40 hours did I get bored. I'm hoping for a sequel. Spiritual or not I'm getting it if it's ever made.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 AM   #1285

MoriartyL: As you progress through the game, you'll notice that there are specific ways to kill specific enemies, even the "random" ones. And dungeons don't require specific themes to feel cohesive - that's one of the biggest clichès of gaming. One that Zelda itself is perhaps responsible for creating. I'm not sure I know what you mean about the first "proper" dungeon, but it doesn't sound like you've come very far, since you don't acknowledge the different strategies and creative solutions to complete certain puzzles and kill certain enemies.

And how the heck is Pikmin like Zelda? It's a puzzle game, with obvious influences from Lemmings. The further you get, the more Okami feels like a Zelda game... to me, Beyond Good and Evil didn't feel like Zelda at all. It had lock-on fighting, and that's probably it. Okami is more Zelda than Majora's Mask is. You might as well have called it The Legend of Zelda: Okami, and people wouldn't have noticed. The dog is Link, and the little bug is his fairy, more or less. Then there's the overwold... or Hyrule. And then there's the puzzle-jingles. And the sidequests. And the bombing of walls and the slingshot. And that's only after 11 hours of gameplay. I'm sure there'll be a lot more similarities. Just about everything in this game is something you'd see in Zelda as well.

Anyway, I think the general consensus is that Okami's got a slow start. It did, the first couple of hours were slow as hell and progress was almost non-existant. But as you get more powers, things gets more interesting. Whaddayaknow, just like Zelda.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #1286
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Pikmin is like Zelda in that there are a bunch of different kinds of gameplay focused on equally, surrounded by exploration. That's what I thought I'd be getting here, so it was a shock to see a huge focus on action and leveling-up, at the expense of any other kinds of gameplay. The only similarities I see between Okami and Zelda come from their shared indulgence of RPG clichés. But Okami doesn't give me what I like about Zelda games, in the way that BG&E or Pikmin or Chibi Robo do.

Anyway, as I've said I'm early in. So I won't talk about it any more until I've seen more.

Edit: By the way, it's been said in an interview that Okami's designer was inspired by Zelda. But just because he thinks he's making a Zelda game doesn't mean he is. A lot of superficial similarities are there, without the essence of what a Zelda game is.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #1287
Master of time and space

Mass Effect
Really captivating game. I love it. My Adept just isn't doing too well in firefights on Hardcore difficulty...

Call of Duty 4
Best FPS I've ever played and the online experience is just as good (if not better) than Halo 3. Superb.

Dead Rising

On hold. I just can't seem to survive long enough to get anywhere... Still on day 1.

I love my X360
Old 09-18-2008, 03:41 AM   #1288
I changed my title

Portal -

Currently in Chamber 18. Getting very close to the end, but I might take a break soon. Taking out the turrets was alot of fun, but I'm now stuck in getting the energy ball into place - I need to time it so perfectly that I just don't want to do it. I'm probably going to cheat past this to get to the next part of the level.

But apart from the few puzzles that require perfect timing, the game is alot of fun. I wish I had a better graphics card, though, alot of details in the later levels of the game are lost because of this.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #1289

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

Just got it for my Xbox (yes, I'm WAY behind the times) and am enjoying it muchly, though I WISH i could zoom in with the camera.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #1290
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Portal - Just finished the main game, and am now starting all the Advanced Chambers, as well as the Challenge maps

Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel without a Pulse - If you have Steam, and don't have this game yet, now's your chance to get it for a good price. It's available for only $4.99 (plus a few taxes, making it $5 something. But it's still reasonable.) on this weekend. I started it, and it's just awesome silly fun, and extremely hilarious. And for that price, you really can't complain. ^_^

Mass Effect - Finished one playthrough, and started another two with different Shepards. Have been neglecting it a bit recently, but am planning to get back to it soon.

NWN - Planning on playing "Saleron's Gambit".

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #1291
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I found that Stubbs got a tad boring before I actually reached the end (in fact, I never reached the end). Which is a shame, because the premise and the central character are awesome.

That said, it is worth $5. Easily.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I found that Stubbs got a tad boring before I actually reached the end (in fact, I never reached the end). Which is a shame, because the premise and the central character are awesome.

That said, it is worth $5. Easily.
Yeah, that's because it's about the equivalent of £2.50 in our country. I know places in London that charge more than that for a can of coke.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #1293

I am playing Folklore on PS3, loving it, but I made the mistake of playing both players so it can feel abit repetitive, but at least I can make the game last longer.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #1294
Random

I''m playing nikopol: secrets of the immortals. I'm enjoying the game, it have a classic point and click style, and beautiful graphics but i have a problem with the camera of that game, i feel a little dizzy when i play more than 30 minutes, hehehe. But it's cool!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:29 AM   #1295

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Since it was pointed out on here I'm playing Broken Sword 2.5 and enjoying it. Some of it is set in (an entirly fictional version of) my home town of York!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #1296
Master of time and space

Psychonauts, Meat Circus ...

COD4, part way through no fighting in the war room on Veteran difficulty. This mission is insanely difficult, but it still manages to feel fair.

Last edited by MdaG; 10-02-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 AM   #1297
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Psychonauts, Meat Circus ...
Keep at it. It does feel horribly difficult but it's immensely satisfying when you finally beat it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #1298

I just picked up Time Hollow yesterday, believe I'm up to Chapter 3 already. It's going to fast!
Old 10-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #1299
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Mount & Blade

I've still only scratched the surface, but this game is growing on me as I begin to get better at the mounted combat (though I'm still pretty rubbish). Think Pirates! crossed with Oblivion (or something like that), and you have a good idea of what makes a genuinely fun game tick.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #1300
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Keep at it. It does feel horribly difficult but it's immensely satisfying when you finally beat it.
The controls feel so frustratingly awkward for these kinds of jumping stunts.
Spoiler:
I'm still trying to help little coach fetch the bunny.