You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #1501

I've been immersed in Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings for the Wii. The controls are definitely no where near as bad as people make it sound, with a few pretty major exceptions. (Such as the crane/piano puzzle I've been stuck on for days. I know exactly what to do, but the controls aren't cooperating.) The story is interesting, but you get the very distinct impression that it's only touching on details that the PS3/360 version would've elaborated on big time. It's entertaining enough, but definitely has a feeling of being kind of superficial. So damn short too. I'm having a good time while it lasts, though.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #1502

I'm giving "The Longest Journey" a second attempt. I played it the first time two years ago or so, then my laptop crashed and my save files were gone. I reached the "deep blue mirror" chapter or whatsitcalled (I've got the Dutch version - bought it on eBay and it wasn't mentioned so I wouldn't know).

Recently installed it again on a new machine and have returned to the temple/church after exploring Arcadia for the first time.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 07-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #1503

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
[About King's Quest VII] Uck. First, I really hate cartoony/kiddy/comedy type games, and the beginning cutscene just oozed with it. I couldn't really make Valence look around anywhere, and I couldn't run it fullscreen, just a tiny little box. When a jackrabbit or something started sticking it's tongue out at her, the over-kiddish of it all overwhelmed me. I do want to know the story, but I just can't get myself to play it.
I found it difficult to play myself, but the story is really worth a shot, particularly in the later acts of the game and the finale, the real KQ finale (at least until the Silver Lining) is really, really good and nicely ties up many loose ends.

Quote:
I'm not very far into "Syberia". I'm still in the beginning town, and I'm hoping to get more into the story. I haven't even gone into the factory yet.
In my opinion, Syberia really takes off from the meeting with Oscar and the arrival at Barrockstadt.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #1504
Stalker of Britain

Okay, I might give it another shot, for the story. If only there was a way to make it full screen.

And I'm definetely not giving up on Syberia yet. I'm going to keep playing till I meet Oscar, and I'm really hoping to get into this.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #1505
Stalker of Britain

I was in the 3rd chapter of "Kings Quest 7", when I quit without saving, since I couldn't figure out how to. Fortunately, I was able to start at the beginning of the 3rd chapter, yet I ran into a game-stopping bug in the middle of it, since I can't give a stupid wooden nickel to the Faux shop owner. Not able to find a patch that doesn't make you run it in Dosbox, I've put it to the side. Not too much heartache, since it was very juvenille to me, and I wasn't enjoying it hardly at all.

Another game I will not give up so easily on that I'm playing right now is "Syberia". Of course, the scenery and graphics are just gorgeous. The story/characters haven't really picked up yet, since everyone on Kate's phone is mean to her, and Oscar can be annoying with his rules, although I don't mind him too much like other people do. I'm currently in the University town, and I'm going to keep playing this one. I don't understand, though, why it's called "Syberia", when some of the references to it is spelled "Siberia". Not sure why they are different spellings, when Syberia is the country (I think).
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #1506
Lazy Bee

I just installed and started playing Secret Files Tunguska. Not overly impressed by the initial puzzles. And Nina sounds way too cheerful for someone who just found out her father has gone mysteriously missing.
Still the story looks promising.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #1507

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
I was in the 3rd chapter of "Kings Quest 7", when I quit without saving, since I couldn't figure out how to. Fortunately, I was able to start at the beginning of the 3rd chapter, yet I ran into a game-stopping bug in the middle of it, since I can't give a stupid wooden nickel to the Faux shop owner. Not able to find a patch that doesn't make you run it in Dosbox, I've put it to the side.
Have you looked to this page?

Also, if you check this page, you can find Collector's awesome installers that will automatically install the game and DOSBox without you having to do anything. Most importantly, they create a directory from where you can launch the game with a single click, through DOSBox, but once again without any input needed from you.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #1508
In an evening of July...

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, a surprisingly good German RPG. Not as good as the The Witcher, which is the one of the recent RPGs I played, but still very entertaining. I'm currently running around in Maxon's temple, killing stuff. Don't particulary like this section of the game.
Also, picked up Planescape Torment again, my favorite RPG. I'm so close to the end, but keep failing. Not sure if I can finish it with my current setup, it's a shame.
Battlefield Heroes, which I'm slowly getting tired of. I'm currently #82 worldwide on the leaderboard, with about 150 hours in. I probably never played another game for so long.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #1509
Staff Member

Playing Sims 3 at the moment. It's made some nice changes from its predecessors, especially the seamless neighbourhood, but it is obviously missing all the expansions that were built up. Can't say how far I am into it, since Sims can go on forever, but I've built a pretty awesome house and am slowly progressing my Sim through his career.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #1510

wow! seems like i am the only one with the lamest title onboard lol!

I am playing Hardy Boys Disc 1 of 2 and thats a playtime of 10minutes a day!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #1511

I'm seeing all kinds of games mentioned here I never heard about! Must admit there is some kind of gap in my gaming experience. I stopped playing PC games (well, new ones anyway) from 2002 till last year or so.

I should mention I'm also playing "Experience 112" (or "Experiment 112" depending on your location, apparently), but it's been a long time since I actually did anything with it. I got a demo and it looked really interesting. It's more gimmicky than anything else, but it works for me. So I got a copy and I got up to the part where ... well, I wouldn't know how to explain it. Somewhere in the upper cabins. It's a bit confusing at times when I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. Sure, you can check the goals, but how I go about achieving them is something else.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #1512
Stalker of Britain

I'm leaving the University part of "Syberia". I'm still not thrilled with the lack of interesting plot or characters, but I play a little each night. The graphics are gorgeous, but I'm afradi I'm only playing it to say that I have.

I tried to play through "Dragonshards", a strategy game based on one of my favorite books, but it's impossible for me to get past this part, even though it's on easy. I guess I'm back to "Battle for Middle Earth 2" and 5 minutes of Syberia everyday.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #1513
delusions of adequacy

I have a lot more respect for Oblivion now that I've tried to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I want my 4 gigs of bandwidth back, never mind the $6.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #1514
Stalker of Britain

Uck. Kate Walker trying to have a "sexy voice" to seduce an officer was just painful, and a tree stump?! It's just so unbelievable to me. I did like solving the puzzle to make the robot/automatons work, the one with the violen players in the university.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #1515

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Just started

Valkyria Chronicles:

An amazing game so far even if I haven't played more than a few hours and barely surfaced the game mechanics. Excellent original spin on strategy games. Good voice acting with an engaging story doesn't hurt either!

About to start a story mission after getting introduced to classes/squads.

Shatter:

A downloadable game for a very low price (4 euros) from the playstation online store. Very engaging original spin on arkanoid. You can control a bit the direction of the ball (which is cool).
It even has some shmup mechanics where when you feel up a meter you can shoot the blocks by yourself other than using a bouncing "ball" to get to them. Interesting boss battles and not to forget a great electronic soundtrack. Very slick game and recomended to get if you are into unique puzzle games.

Kinda halfways in the game.

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 08-13-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #1516
Junior Mint

Tomb Raider: Legend. I'm behind on playing the new generation of TR games... this one has severely convoluted controls for the PC; I don't think I could even beat the first stage if it wasn't on "easy". Cool game though, so far... as opposed to installments 3-6 which were horrible. I'm just starting the sequence where Lara and her buddies are much younger and they're on a dig site.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #1517

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Currently playing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for the Nintendo Game Cube. I've played through it a couple of times and I still fall ridiculously in love with it every time! I'm playing Hard Mode and I'm at the 8th chapter I think, just been saved by Mordecai and Lethe in the Gallian castle.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Cool game though, so far... as opposed to installments 3-6 which were horrible.
The Last Revelation (the 4th installment) was fantastic, easily one of the best Tomb Raiders ever. Legend was the weaker Crystal Dynamic TR IMO, and the least... tomb raiderish game in the franchise.

I'm currently playing a game a bit inspired by Tomb Raider. That game is ICO for the PS2 (i bought a PS2 last week for 40€, my first console ever ). The game is pretty good, both protagonists (Ico and Yorda) are just adorable. I'm at the water tower.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #1519
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
The Last Revelation (the 4th installment) was fantastic, easily one of the best Tomb Raiders ever. Legend was the weaker Crystal Dynamic TR IMO, and the least... tomb raiderish game in the franchise.
The only reason I can think of that one would say this about Legend is because of all the tech Lara uses. Certainly, story-wise, TRs 2 and 3 are the least Tomb-Raiderish games in the franchise, as they primarily involve hiking through modern man-made environments, and fighting mostly humans, as opposed to animals or monsters. Gameplay-wise, I would think that 6 would be the least Tomb-Raiderish game, due to its severely changed control scheme and reliance on stealth. I didn't like 3 because there was WAY too much backtracking in the levels (especially Nevada); I think they wanted to artificially extend the gameplay hours. I didn't like TR 4 and 5 (and stopped playing them both VERY early) because I didn't think the graphics were good enough for what they wanted to do with the games. I had a VERY hard time finding paths through the levels, because I simply couldn't tell where I was supposed to run, grab, etc. The early levels were so brutal that I didn't even want to take on the later ones. I still have never played 6, but I have heard it's the worst of the franchise by far. I can honestly say that Legend is my third favorite game of the franchise, but I have not played Anniversary or Underworld yet.

Ico would be one of the few games that would make me buy a PS2, if I ever intended to do such a thing. That game looks amazing.

Last edited by booB; 08-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #1520
Adventure Dude =]

Not many games right now that are out, so I'm back to World of Warcraft. Just having fun and goofing around on it. =]

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2