You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #3981
handsome

But Zhang Yimou's hard-on for wide brightly-coloured vistas and such is due to his bigger than life myths\stories while The Fall is just cause of that annoying-child's imagination (yes, annoying ).
And I can't get past such tiresome and clichéd reason which made all the prettiness unnecessary to me. Or maybe it's cause I much prefer Gondry's, Park Chan-Wook's or early Greenaway's mise-en-scène *nerdy emoticon*.

Speaking of Z.Yimou and arrows and chinese warriors and whatnot: the other day I was watching The Myth with a friend and there was a scene that reminded me a bit of his style, only raw and way bloodier -- with Jackie Chan!

Have you seen it? It's so f-ing badass! here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXZmpcisDE

(yay 200th page!)
Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #3982
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
But Zhang Yimou's hard-on for wide brightly-coloured vistas and such is due to his bigger than life myths\stories while The Fall is just cause of that annoying-child's imagination (yes, annoying ).
And I can't get past such tiresome and clichéd reason which made all the prettiness unnecessary to me. Or maybe it's cause I much prefer Gondry's, Park Chan-Wook's or early Greenaway's mise-en-scène *nerdy emoticon*.
A matter of taste, probably. I thought the kid was adorable, and the fact that the imagined story was so colourful aided the film and its message, imo. Ditto for the extravagant costumes and the likes.

Although I have to admit that I would agree with your comment had it been about Tarsem's previous film, The Cell. The colourful settings and the costumes had a certain charm about them, but in that film they tended to lean towards "style over substance". Now I just feel like Tarsem was simply 'practicing' with The Cell. But that's because I feel The Fall is a masterpiece.

I'm going to see his new film, Immortals, on Friday, will let you know how that one turns out...

Also: I don't really get your comparison with Gondry, Park and Greenaway. They all have their own signature style but their approach is a far cry from what Tarsem did with The Fall. That's like comparing apples and oranges...

Quote:
Speaking of Z.Yimou and arrows and chinese warriors and whatnot: the other day I was watching The Myth with a friend and there was a scene that reminded me a bit of his style, only raw and way bloodier -- with Jackie Chan!

Have you seen it? It's so f-ing badass! here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXZmpcisDE
Haven't seen it (yet). Looks great, though.

How's Chan's fighting holding up in that film? The last 7-8 years I've seen his stunts decline in quality - mostly because of Chan's age (which is understandable, he's practically pushing 60).
But as long as he doesn't fall back on visual effects (The Tuxedo ), he's still a stunt & martial arts movie God!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #3983
handsome

I was just trying to say that if it's visual fair we're talking about then I'm more into the bizarre(Gondry), symbolism-filled(P.C.W.) or classical\rural(P.Greenaway) works, so maybe that's why Tarsem's works seem so uninteresting to me.

(About Immortals) I've read some reviews saying it's just a 300 wannabe -- a true "style over substance" flick -- so don't get your hopes up cause it's proly gonna end up more like a Gaga music video or something.

Jackie was still in his early 50s when he did The Myth, which in relugar human beings' years is about 35, and the fighting scenes still rocked. It has nothing to do with age but if it's an american movie or not. He himself said that there's no freedom whatsoever shooting a fight scene in an american movie so they often end up sucking (compared to his asian ones).

He'll be 90 and still be jumping onto hovercrafts just for the sake of it, ankles be damned. So don't you imply that Jackie's getting to old for this sht!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #3984
Filmfreak

Immortals - 3 / 5
Surprisingly good film. I'd expected a copy of 300, but with better locations and more outrageous costumes (director Tarsem Singh's trademark). It turned out to be a bit more than simply testosterony. The story was simple yet effective, and the actors were well picked. Rourke had to play his usual role as the villain, I finally found out why they picked Henry Cavill as the next Superman (that typical Man of Steel-look is there, it just isn't that obvious), and Luke Evans (whom I'm really starting to like) is acting far too well for the role he was given. It's also nice to see Stephen Dorff slowly reappearing in major roles. And Freida Pinto is just stunning.
One of Cavill's charges in the tunnel - a shot that should have reminded me of 300 - for some reason made me think of the hallway fight in Oldboy. And I really enjoyed the "divine intervention" fights where they suddenly went from 'normal' action sequences to all-round splatterfests which were actually pretty gore (but Tarsem is capable of adding gore to his films - remember that horse in The Cell?).
Even though it's not a deep film, it is an enjoyable action movie, filled with great visuals and even the 3D (which was added in postproduction - I had no choice at my local cinema -) was surprisingly well done. Always fun when a movie like this is better than I expected.
Doubted between a 3.5 and a 3 out of 5 in my rating, but my rule is "when in doubt, pick the rating closest to 2.5"...

Real Steel - 2 / 5
Standard and clichéd beyond belief: if you've seen the trailer, you've seen the film. Don't bother with this one, because the robot fights aren't good at all (even though they had Sugar Ray Leonard as a consultant), and Hugh Jackman is acting like he's shooting another Lipton Ice Tea commercial. Even the one not-so-standard idea in the entire film was blatantly stolen from Rocky.
Heck, at the end of the final robot boxing match, Jackman's character was calling out to his son Max. While he was shouting "Max! MAAAAX!!!" all I could think of was "Adriaaan! ADRIAAAAAN!!!"...
A complete waste of Anthony Mackie's acting talent, imo. And he was given far too small a role...
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #3985
handsome

Here's something you don't see every day: The new trailer for Takashi Miike's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

The lack of sliced off limbs disturbs me. I still remember the day I saw Visitor Q
Old 12-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #3986
Psychonaut

Saw the new Sherlock Holmes film today.

Loved it.

Very funny, tongue in the cheek bromance movie with decent action and a good villain.

Possibly over uses the slo-mo effect a tad, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #3987
Filmfreak

Quote:
Here's something you don't see every day: The new trailer for Takashi Miike's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

The lack of sliced off limbs disturbs me. I still remember the day I saw Visitor Q
Found out a while ago that this was in production with Miike at the helm. My initial "WTF?" moment was quickly followed by visions of "Ichi the Lawyer".

Still an odd choice, both for him and for the movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Saw the new Sherlock Holmes film today.

... and a good villain. ...
Haven't seen it yet (give me a week, possibly two), but the second I found out they picked Jared Harris for the role of Moriarty, I was greatly intrigued.
A really good choice of actor, imo, and one that could really pull of the necessary "evil yet charming and fiendishly clever".

And from the trailer, it appears that Jude Law (him especially) had loads of fun shooting this...
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #3988
Stalker of Britain

Just saw "Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows", and everyone should know by now how much of a Holmes fan I am. And wow, this blew me away. I love Holmes/Watson romance, I'm not ashamed to say. And man, this movie was FULL of it all over!!! *squee*

Moriarty was an awesome villian, and Mycroft was amazing. I was laughing and a little teary eyed throughout it all. I believe this may have overturned the first movie as my 3rd favorite movie of all time, only below the first two "Lord of the Rings" movies. <3

Only downsides were the overuse of slow motion that made it almost corny, some parts kind of dragged on, and the
Spoiler:
lack of Lestrade. <3
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #3989
Psychonaut

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/

Can't believe we still have a year to wait.

Everyone sing along...

Far over the Misty Mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
The pines were roaring on the heights,
The wind was moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches blazed with light.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #3990
The Quiet One

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Even if the reviews are pants (highly doubtful) I'm still gonna see it! I'll have to give the book a re-read a couple of months before its release - refresh my memory. I think it's a guarantee that will be my 'Movie of the Year'. But the competition will be difficult with this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokKUqLcvD8
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #3991
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I'll have to give the book a re-read a couple of months before its release - refresh my memory.
Isn't that dangerous?

In my own experience, I've destroyed many movies by reading the book just a short while before watching the film. When the film doesn't turn out exactly as how I envisioned it, I tend to unleash an ALL CAPS RAGE at it, something which doesn't happen if it's been several years since I last read the book (and thus had forgotten several details).

You should've heard me go off against The Da Vinci Code...

Now I just wait with the book until after I've seen the movie. Since the book is practically always better, the movie can't ruin it.

But on the other hand, there is one film that managed to hold fast even after I've only just finished the book, and that one film happened to be The Fellowship of the Ring...
Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #3992
The Quiet One

Hmm... Good point. That's actually been the case for me with some movies, such as Let the Right One In. On the other hand, I seem to have no trouble appreciating Peter Jackson's 'Rings' trilogy even though there's a lot changed/missing compared to the books. His movie versions are just as awesome in their own right, in my opinion.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #3993
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Yeah, jsut saw it...Martin Freeman is so cute!! <3 I've heard they added a female character and I was upset about that, but this looks pretty awesome!!! (Not as awesome as the new Sherlock Holmes movie, if I do say so myself...)
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #3994
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

The Adventures of Tintin: I think the rest of the world has already seen this but we're just getting it in North America and it was definitely worth the wait. I'm a lifelong Tintin fan so I may be a little biased but it was exactly the fun and thrilling adventure I wanted it to be with perfect casting and some brilliant action set pieces - that motorcycle chase scene done in one take is probably my favourite moment from any movie I've seen this year. There are some problems, especially with a very unsatisfying ending, but it's so charmingly fun and old-fashioned that it's hard not to like. Had I seen this when I was 10, my head probably would've exploded. 8/10

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol: I was really unsatisfied with the summer blockbusters this year so it's a shame that the best one is being released now in the middle of winter. This is a popcorn movie that delivers exactly the kind of escapist fun you want and although it lacks an interesting story or memorable villain, it's hard not to leave the theater feeling thoroughly entertained. 7.5/10

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #3995
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol: it lacks an interesting story or memorable villain (...)
You're expecting a bit too much for a M.I. movie dude

Towelhead (aka Nothing is Private)
It's about the coming of age of a half-lebanese teenage girl living in a cul-de-sac yada yada yada social commentary\ war against Iraque\ white people are crazy (and|or) mean, middle easterners are crazy strict and black folks are nice\ sexual issues\ and so on.

It was written and directed by the same guy who wrote American Beauty so there's enough awkward and that's-oh-so-wrong moments to keep things from getting too boring -- it's an alrightish movie.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #3996
handsome

The Mystery of Rampo
How I came to find this one is a movie in itself (but) it was def worth it. This is such a brilliantly extravagant gem that I'm already eager to watch it a 2nd time (something I never do unless it's been, like, years). Just awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
In Time - 2.5 / 5
Here's a curious bit:
Haven't seen it (and from the trailer it looks mighty uninteresting) but it's basic premise immediately reminded me of Ellison's great "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman, and voilá! here's what I just found:

[after critics telling him what it was about]
Harlan Ellison sues 'In Time' for it's premise
[after Ellison was able to actually watch it]
Harlan Ellison drops charges against 'In Time'

Now, he doesn't really gives any reason as to why he gave up but it's just pure fun thinking that maybe it's because 'In Time' seemed to suck real hard . I just love this constantly angry ol fellow who thinks great things like how James Cameron is unbelievebly awful at what he does (except T2), just like I do. Harlan you rock
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #3997
Psychonaut

Saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol it was a hell of a lot of fun.

4/5
Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #3998
The Quiet One

Quote:
I just love this constantly angry ol fellow who thinks great things like how James Cameron is unbelievebly awful at what he does (except T2), just like I do. Harlan you rock
What about T1 and Aliens!? Those 2 movies (along with T2) are his finest!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #3999
Filmfreak

Quote:
[B]Here's a curious bit:
Haven't seen it (and from the trailer it looks mighty uninteresting) but it's basic premise immediately reminded me of Ellison's great "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman, and voilá! here's what I just found:

[after critics telling him what it was about]
Harlan Ellison sues 'In Time' for it's premise
[after Ellison was able to actually watch it]
Harlan Ellison drops charges against 'In Time'

Now, he doesn't really gives any reason as to why he gave up but it's just pure fun thinking that maybe it's because 'In Time' seemed to suck real hard . I just love this constantly angry ol fellow who thinks great things like how James Cameron is unbelievebly awful at what he does (except T2), just like I do. Harlan you rock
Harlan Ellison sues everyone who even *thinks* of an idea somewhat resembling anything he has ever written...

Btw, he has in the past successfully sued James Cameron for The Terminator and got a credit (and a bag of money, I reckon) out of it...

Anyhoo...

Hugo - 3.5 / 5
A great little movie, right up Scorsese's alley because he can indulge in his love of films. A nice nod to early cinema, with the great Ben Kingsley as Georges Méliès. 3D-effects were great throughout the film, but I expected no less from Scorsese.
But as I predicted: it's getting awesome reviews everywhere, but it's tanking in the box office...

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - 3 / 5
A fun and brainless ride, needless to say with lots of scenes where Tom Cruise runs. It's a pretty good action flick, although director Brad Bird (of Pixar fame) heavily relies on visual effects. Just make sure to turn your brain off, because the plot holes are legion...
And I don't know how Simon Pegg does it, but that guy is hilarious in EVERYTHING...
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #4000
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
What about T1 and Aliens!? Those 2 movies (along with T2) are his finest!
T1 was extremely similar to Ellison's Demon with a Glass Hand premise so it loses all it's charm. Ridley Scott's Alien was groundbreaking for it's time and still quite a science fiction gem nowadays while Aliens was just mindless action filled with awful over-the-top characters; like Starship Troopers but without the smart-dumb satire which made it fun -- Would you like to know more?

Quote:
Harlan Ellison sues everyone who even *thinks* of an idea somewhat resembling anything he has ever written...
If you had written tons of screenplays which keep getting rejected cause you had a few demands (remember: they're YOUR books) and some dude(s) made a movie(s) close to one of your one-of-a-kind stories, you would also go on a suing rampage.

Sher-A Game of Shadows
Jeez, if this is what SH has become to please new audiences then I don't want anything to do with it.

EDIT:
Quote:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - 3 / 5
A fun and brainless ride, needless to say with lots of scenes where Tom Cruise runs.
Like the fellows from Spill said, it looks like he is karate-chopping the air! Look at him go!

Last edited by TiAgUh; 12-28-2011 at 03:04 PM.