You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 AM   #1981
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I saw Blood Diamond last week, myself. Excellent movie. Leo kept changing his accent, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
South African accents often go somewhat askew when acted by non Sarf Efferikans. From the trailer he didn't sound too bad though. I will go see it this weekend perhaps.
I thought his character was Australian at first then he said he was from Rhodesia (Zimbabwe).
Old 12-31-2006, 08:50 AM   #1982
Kung Fu Code Poet

The English accent of recent generation descendants of British origin here is similar to that of similar peeps from Zimbabwe, Botswana, Swaziland and Namibia. Now I really am eager to hear his interpretation.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #1983
Super Moderator

So this movie kind of counts: As I was flying from Chicago to Sacramento, they showed Little Miss Sunshine on the plane. Granted, it was censored (they took out the language but I don't know if they cut anything). It was a fantastic movie - Olivia was such a sweet character. I liked them all! What a quirky bunch (especially Grandpa!). Others have already raved about this movie and I do need to rewatch it properly (i.e. uncensored).
Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #1984
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Djimon Hounsou*

* Was he the guy in Lost or the guy who was in the slave ship movie - Amstad/Amistad (?)
I am sure you had found it out by now, but the latter (and then the latter again: Amistad ). An awfully underrated movie, too, if you ask me. Far from Spielberg's best, but not such a waste of time as some crtitics led me to believe.

He wasn't on Lost - not in either of the first two seasons, anyway.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #1985

Spartacus (2004) (TV)
Really good movie imo. 3h and wasn't boring. And Rhona Mitra was really beautiful...
7/10

Spider-man 2 (2004)
Nice movie, but thare was this strange mixture of children movie and deep-spidey-emotional-movie.Nice ending. And Dr.Octupus was pretty cool nemesis.
6.5/10

Janghwa, Hongryeon (2003)
("A Tale of Two Sisters")
Very very good movie. One of the best asian horror movies i have ever seen. Great suspense and scares. (Best part was standing on bed and stepping on bed..). w0007. Liked a lot. Something good from Korea.
I think i would suggest to watch it, if you like horror movies. (At the end its hard to get what happened, but if you paid attention you'll figure it out)
9/10

Jackass: The Movie (2002)
Seen too many times.Show is better then movie.
6/10

Drawn Together
(2004) [TV-Series 2004-????]
Season 2.
It just gets better and better, Captain Girl and Live Action Cow episodes became my favourites.
Nice.
9/10
Old 01-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #1986
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Lethal Weapon 3 and Lethal Weapon 4
Fun so long as all you're after is more of the same. The last one in particular felt like the pitch had been something like "Let's just wheel them all out again!".

Million Dollar Baby
I found this one much better than I was expecting (I'm generally bored by any sport-related film). It dragged in places, and large chunks of it were extremely predictable, but my overall impression was a positive one.

Mission: Impossible III M:I:III
Well... it's better than the second one, I suppose, but there's a big difference between a confusing yet complete plot (the original M:I) and one in which bits are left out (this one). What did Ethan get up to inside the big tower block? What was with not explaining the weapon(?) thing? It felt like several major scenes had just been cut for no reason. That and the film suffers from that blight of American TV of the moment - dialogue that's mumbled and thus utterly unintelligible without subtitles. Still, it was enjoyable, and I don't feel that the time spent watching it was actually wasted.

The Interpreter
Alright. Nothing special, but vaguely competent. A slightly unconvincing accent from Nicole Kidman, and parts of it were rather too obvious, but reasonably fun.

March of the Penguins
Stunning footage, preachy narration. I spent the film longing for David Attenborough.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
March of the Penguins
Stunning footage, preachy narration. I spent the film longing for David Attenborough.
Really great film and documentary as well.
I loved it.
+M.Freeman was so perfect.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #1988
DAVE

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371257/ <- Stay

Just rent it and don't read the synopsis, please. I loved it.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 AM   #1989
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371257/ <- Stay

Just rent it and don't read the synopsis, please. I loved it.
Saw this 2-3 times on HBO in the last month or so, and really enjoyed it. Definitely the type of film that benefits from multiple viewings.

Also, saw Black Christmas yesterday. It was refreshing, in a way, to see a horror film that wasn't just another PG-13 japanese horror remake. The person I dragged with me hated it, but I found myself just enjoying it for what it was--an over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek, gory B-Movie. Can't wait to see the original now, and compare them!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #1990
Psychonaut

D.O.A

Based on the over endowed video game of the same name.

Dreadful if fun movie however as eyecandy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xm_WmRuoc

HUBBA HUBBA

Last edited by Lucien21; 01-02-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #1991
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
D.O.A

Based on the over endowed video game of the same name.

Dreadful if fun movie however as eyecandy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xm_WmRuoc

HUBBA HUBBA
I seriously want to watch this movie, it looks pure fun.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #1992
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

The 40 Year Old Virgin-
The most accurate depiction of how guys really talk to each other at work that I've ever seen!
Also, a surprising sensitive treatment of a subject that could have easily devolved into typical teen-movie schlock.
I even saw a character in this movie who reminded me very strongly of myself, so how could I help but like it?

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #1993
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
I seriously want to watch [ doa ], it looks pure fun.
Its pretty terrible stuff. At least it knows its cheesy and makes no attempt at seriousness. I don't think its a fan pleaser with all the girls out of character/ all friends. And miscast. What little fighting is good and Christie and Hitomi Helena [ doa fans will get that 'joke' ] are easy on the eyes.

I just saw Pan's Labyrinth. Emotionally stirring film, beautifuly made. Reminiscent of TLJ if thats a good indication AGers should see it.

Also saw the Queen - pretty dull stuff, and Black Dahlia - confusing for the easily distracted [ me ] and full of noir cliches. OH and Kenny - the most depressing comedy I've seen. Laugh while you cry territory, worth seeing up until the cliche turn of luck.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 01-02-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #1994
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Da Vinci Code (Extended Edition)
It could be because the version I was watching had another 26 minutes in it, but this one dragged a little. Still, as a film adaptation of a flawed-but-vaguely-enjoyable novel it did pretty well, I think. Sir Ian is as great as always.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #1995
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
I seriously want to watch this movie, it looks pure fun.
Just remembered something about D.O.A.

When the thief was trying to break into the vault he had to solve a slider puzzle to gain entry.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #1996
Psychonaut

Eragon

Worst film of 2007.

Horrendous acting, dreadsul script, a Knock off from Star Wars and Lotr and even had loads of riding through the forest scenes.

Hated it.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #1997

...So I watched 3 movies in a row today.
1 great,1 good and 1 bad.
Perfect.

Taxi Driver (1976)
Best/coolest role which R.DeNiro has ever played, imo.
Are you talkin' with me?!
8/10

Necronomicon(1994)
Classic bad horror movie. Im happy that I finally watched this.
3/10

Slither (2006)
After watching Necromicon, it was good to see something normal. Wasn't scary or something like this imo.
humor was great, couple good jokes from Nathan Fillion.I liked how he was still cool in the middle of this "horror".
I feared the worst but turned up good, again.
6.5/10
Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #1998
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Well, apparently, I'm not posting here, but I'm not sure who else to bother with this - there's only so many times you can repeat your opinion to the person who saw the movie with you (BoyToy), and it's not yet out of my system, so:

Departed

Oh, wow. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that reached my inner limit of sexistic and homophobic remarks. Not to mention it completely underlined the sexistic ones by making the only women in the movie either sluts, stupid despite PhD, or smoking despite clearly killing themselves with it - and the guys allegedly super smart, able to figure out everything, especially the psychologist.

I'm not a feminist - I spend a lot of my time ranting about the flaws of women as a whole, such as gossiping, and the ability to emotionally dissect someone without remorse - but this hit an inner limit where even I thought, "Oh my god". It may have to do with that it was mainly portraying women as stupid - I've never criticised the intelligence of women, and I find it unfathomable that someone would.

That aside, I found little redeeming this movie - it was well made, but none of the characters convinced me. I'm not sure if that's a flaw in the acting or a flaw in the script, but I'm thinking it was probably latter, since the actors in the movie can all act and be convincing, providing their characters allow for it. Here, no such luck.

Spoiler:
The only character I found believable, the head of police, was killed fairly early on, too, which spontaneously eradicated all interest I had left at that point.

The end was bizarrely predictable, despite trying desperately not to be.

Spoiler:
As they were going down with the elevator, I instantly thought, "Well, one or both of them are going to get shot when they reach the bottom". Big surprise! One of them did. In same instant, it introduced a new rat, which hadn't at all been mentioned before that point, which seemed a bit reaching, so I was somewhat glad when that guy had his skull done in, too, because it meant I wouldn't have to deal with the deus ex machina anymore.

I was somewhat appeased by that in the end, almost everyone was dead, except for the bigmouth who quickly became my favourite character after the death of my previous favourite... that's how unbelievable the other characters were, I simply couldn't attach with them enough, so instead, I attached to the one guy I'm sure everyone loved to hate. To have him come out as the 'winner' in the end was unsatisfying, but better than all other possible solutions at the point he planted that bullet.

So, in summary, I find this movie is probably a good, if too long, popcorn movie, providing you're not offended by the homophobe and sexist jokes. Personally, I was offended (in a pitying sort of way), and that means I was unable to enjoy it.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 01-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #1999
OUATIJ Creator

I didn't think The Departed was as bad as you did pinkgothic, but I definitely agree that it's overrated beyond belief. This is NOT a Scorsese masterpiece damn it. It's not half the movie that Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, or Goodfellas was. Even Infernal Affairs, the original movie that it was based on, was better.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #2000
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
I didn't think The Departed was as bad as you did pinkgothic, but I definitely agree that it's overrated beyond belief. This is NOT a Scorsese masterpiece damn it. It's not half the movie that Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, or Goodfellas was.
Not to mention Raging Bull.

But seriously, the saddest thing is that currently I am practically sure Scorsese will get his Pity Oscar for this, decent at best, film.