You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #4021
Filmfreak

The Descendants - 4.5 / 5

It's the most likely candidate for a Best Picture and Best Actor Oscar in a few weeks, and now that I've seen it, I can understand why. Alexander Payne, a director who kept improving over the years (Election was good, About Schmidt was very good, Sideways was brilliant), basically does another Sideways here: the feel of the film is very alike, and even though it's about completely different topics, it's a film that'll easily move you. It'll make you laugh and it can make you cry (without being too sappy). Couple that with a few great performances (this is Clooney at his best and the two young girls who play his daughters do a brilliant job as well) and a very Hawaiian soundtrack (expect a lot of ukeleles and singing in Hawaiian), and you have the best new film I've seen in over a year.

My favourite quote from the movie came in Clooney's voice-over:
"Somehow it feels natural to find a daughter of mine on a different island. My family seems exactly like an archipelago - all part of the same geographic expression but still islands - separate and alone, always drifting slowly apart."
Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #4022
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
One Hour Photo
Wow, control yourself Gazzoid! You've just told 90% of the entire plot there. Unleeess that's on the back cover, which would be a pretty fucked up thing.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #4023
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Wow, control yourself Gazzoid! You've just told 90% of the entire plot there. Unleeess that's on the back cover, which would be a pretty fucked up thing.
Meh, he was pretty vague and didn't mention anything that wasn't in the trailer. Besides, the film is more about Robin Williams' character study than about the actual plot...
If you're both scared of and sympathetic towards Robin Williams' "Sy the Photo Guy" then director Mark Romanek has succeeded.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #4024
handsome

Vague? He told everything but the last minutes. And the final twist is crucial to our judgement of the main character.

But here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Wow, control yourself Gazzoid! You've just told 90% of the entire plot there. Unleeess that's in the trailer, which would be a pretty fucked up thing.
Better, mom?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #4025
The Quiet One

Ah quit nitpicking...

At least my plot summary isn't as spoiler-ish as Rotten Tomatoes' or the IMDb's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Besides, the film is more about Robin Williams' character study than about the actual plot...
Exactly.

Quote:
If you're both scared of and sympathetic towards Robin Williams' "Sy the Photo Guy" then director Mark Romanek has succeeded.
Well, I wouldn't say I was 'scared' - I'm a lot tougher than that - but his actions would be considered 'creepy'.

Deja Vu

Now here's an action thriller film that I've had no interest in watching whatsoever. The things I've read about it seemed to suggest it's a typical Hollywood action/thriller, but my family kept insisting I watch it as they said it was very good and had a good story. Yeah right...

I decided to watch it to shut them up, and - big-surprise! - I found it very 'meh'. The time-travel story isn't anything new - it's been done countless times - along with trying to prevent someone's death or preventing an accident from taking place. I found the first half boring and the whole time travel/space explanation sounded completely bollocks to me. The second half seemed to be somewhat more interesting, which has a more faster and action oriented pace, but overall I found the film to be very average.

Not a film I need to see again...

2/5
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #4026

I've just seen the movie/film The Kids are Allright. Unfortunately, I wasn't allright after watching this movie. The movie is a tour de force of prejudices in lesbian relationsship (one is clearly the man and the other is clearly the women). And while the whole identity thing with the children are allright, it doesn't really go anywhere with it.
However, it does not come to me - as a Dane - as big shock that even homosexual relationsship can have precisely the same problems as their heterosexual counterparts.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #4027
Filmfreak

Went to see the Belgian movie "Tot Altijd" (which translates as "Until Forever"), about the life of Mario Verstraete, the man who had an aggressive form of multiple sclerosis and was one of Belgium's front-runners in the fight to get euthanasia legalised. He consequently was the first to exercise his right at euthanasia after it'd been legalised in 2002.

While a good and very well acted film (both leads do a very good job), the film is a bit disjointed. The first half is just a collection of thinly interwoven scenes to "let us get to know the main characters" and the second half - while emotional at times - tries a bit too hard to get the tear ducts overflowing...

Good, but flawed. I'd give it 3 / 5.
That's the same as I gave director Nic Balthazar's debut Ben X. That one was also "good but flawed".
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #4028
Psychonaut

Man on a ledge

Sam Worthington plays a cop thrown in jail for stealing a diamond. Desperate to prove he is innocent he escapes from jail and stands of a ledge of a New York Hotel threatening suicide.

Sounds lame and of course there is more to this than just the Ledge. It's all an elaborate plot and diversion.

Movie was ok, but it was painfully obvious who the real bad guys were from the beginning of the film.

2.5/5

The Muppets

Hilarious walk down nostalgia lane with a movie that is spot on about the fate of the Muppets in modern kids minds.

A plot to destroy the Muppet theater has Kermit get the band back together for one more show to raise money, prove that they are not yesterdays news and stop the bad guy.

Some really funny songs, lots of Muppet references and all the old favourite characters make for one very funny movie that is constantly playing with the audience.

I was in 80's heaven.

Mahna mahna (do doo be do-do)

4/5
Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #4029
Filmfreak

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - 3 / 5

Lightweight horror comedy about two lovable hillbillies who get mistaken for chainsaw-wielding serial killers by some college kids on a camping trip. While it's not an overly special film, it is quite funny, and the various ways in which the college kids manage to accidentally kill themselves make for a few good laughs.
I'd expected a larger role for Alan Tudyk, though. He's Tucker from the title, but it's Dale that gets the most screen time. While that doesn't hurt the film, it's a bit of a shame for me, because Alan Tudyk is one of those comedy actors whose very presence alone will make me chuckle. Personally, I think he's hilarious, but underused in this film.
All in all: a fun no-brainer with several laughs and blood splatters, a combination I like...
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #4030
Filmfreak

Safe House - 2.5 / 5

Decent yet predictable action movie where Washington does another 'Training Day'. Best moment is when Denzel shaves the goatee off and trims the afro. Turns him into a completely different person...

The Muppets - 3 / 5

The Muppets plays the nostalgia card, and does that well. The downside is that they only play the nostalgia card. It was great to see the gang again, and the movie is pretty funny, but it's so '70s and '80s that it'll probably fail to make The Muppets hot again. Oh well, at least I had fun.
Even with far too little Waldorf and Statler...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #4031
Game Creator Hobbyist

I bought Finding Neverland on DVD yesterday to watch on the three hour long ferry ride to my parents', and re-watched it with my family today. I had tears rolling down my face during both viewings. Recommended.

(It was also the first time I'd seen Johnny Depp play a "normal" character.)
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #4032
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Just saw "Drive" the other day, fun enough I guess, it's really a homage to the 80's action/drama type flick, down to the pacing.

3 out of 5
Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #4033

I've just watched the movie HOP. Although, it has the label of a family movie, I liked it a lot. Do we do what we ourselves want or do we help or family or friends?

In the same vein is the movie Marmaduke...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #4034
Life and times of...

Just finished (Untitled). Wonderful satirical movie about the art world. And the people. You know, not like a "ha, ha, look at those people" type of movie, but a rather personal view, down-to-earth...

I can't really say what I mean in English, but nevertheless, it was very funny, well written and well directed. Even insightful, though nothing world-changing. Definitely a 4-star movie in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #4035
Filmfreak

The Artist - 3.5 / 5
The Artist turned out to be a pretty good movie. It's fun, it's entertaining, it has a few poignant scenes, good acting, it has a not-so-inaccurate portrayal of the demise of some of the biggest silent era stars, and it's an homage to silent films in general. BUT...
As an homage to silent films, it lacks a little depth. In that regard, Hugo did a lot better portraying the impact silent films had. And as a critique on how the silent era stars were treated when 'talkies' took over, it doesn't have the enormous sting that Billy Wilder's Sunset Blvd. had (maybe because it tries to be an homage at the same time).
But despite these shortcomings (and a thin story), it gets a lot of things right. The entire film *feels* right (costumes, art direction, cinematography, music, etc. all hit the nail on the head), Dujardin channels some 20s and 30s stars like Douglas Fairbanks, Clark Gable and Errol Flynn (although the mustache and hair help), Bérénice Bejo is incredibly endearing and disarming, there's a lot less overacting than I had feared (it only happens when it has to), and it manages to entertain and captivate in a way reminiscent of Singin' in the Rain (though it's not nearly as great)...
In an age where everything gets more and more digital and spectacular, it's nice to see a film that at least *tries* to do something different. It may not have succeeded completely, and it may have simply attempted something that was the norm 90 years ago (so it's definitely not new), at the very least they ended up with something entertaining...
I see it mainly as a (mostly) silent mix between Sunset Blvd. and Singin' in the Rain. It just doesn't fully reach all the heights of both those movies...
Oh, but that dog was brilliant!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #4036
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Just saw "The immortals" the other day.

Do yourself a favor and skip this one
Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #4037
Stalker of Britain

Louie and I were bored, so we started watching "Candyman".

I started off thinking it was going to be scary, and hiding under Louie...then in the middle of the movie, I was like , then by the end I was cracking up with laughter...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #4038

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvio View Post
Just saw "The immortals" the other day.

Do yourself a favor and skip this one
Do yourself a real favor and read the comic books! (not that I found the movie all that bad)

Edit: Oops just found out I'm talking about a different movie altogether.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/
Don't be scared by the rating it's actually quite good though obviously not as good as the comic book series
Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #4039
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/
Don't be scared by the rating it's actually quite good though obviously not as good as the comic book series
I didn't like that one at all. I don't even think I finished watching it. (I see it in my history over at movie-renting site Voddler, and that I rated it one star which is the lowest possible, but I don't remember anything of it.)
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #4040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I didn't like that one at all. I don't even think I finished watching it. (I see it in my history over at movie-renting site Voddler, and that I rated it one star which is the lowest possible, but I don't remember anything of it.)
Well maybe I'm biassed because I read the comicbooks first. As I said they're a lot better than the film. Come to think of it. They were also turned into an AG (Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals)