View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #3982
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
But Zhang Yimou's hard-on for wide brightly-coloured vistas and such is due to his bigger than life myths\stories while The Fall is just cause of that annoying-child's imagination (yes, annoying ).
And I can't get past such tiresome and clichéd reason which made all the prettiness unnecessary to me. Or maybe it's cause I much prefer Gondry's, Park Chan-Wook's or early Greenaway's mise-en-scène *nerdy emoticon*.
A matter of taste, probably. I thought the kid was adorable, and the fact that the imagined story was so colourful aided the film and its message, imo. Ditto for the extravagant costumes and the likes.

Although I have to admit that I would agree with your comment had it been about Tarsem's previous film, The Cell. The colourful settings and the costumes had a certain charm about them, but in that film they tended to lean towards "style over substance". Now I just feel like Tarsem was simply 'practicing' with The Cell. But that's because I feel The Fall is a masterpiece.

I'm going to see his new film, Immortals, on Friday, will let you know how that one turns out...

Also: I don't really get your comparison with Gondry, Park and Greenaway. They all have their own signature style but their approach is a far cry from what Tarsem did with The Fall. That's like comparing apples and oranges...

Quote:
Speaking of Z.Yimou and arrows and chinese warriors and whatnot: the other day I was watching The Myth with a friend and there was a scene that reminded me a bit of his style, only raw and way bloodier -- with Jackie Chan!

Have you seen it? It's so f-ing badass! here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXZmpcisDE
Haven't seen it (yet). Looks great, though.

How's Chan's fighting holding up in that film? The last 7-8 years I've seen his stunts decline in quality - mostly because of Chan's age (which is understandable, he's practically pushing 60).
But as long as he doesn't fall back on visual effects (The Tuxedo ), he's still a stunt & martial arts movie God!