You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #4001
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
T1 was extremely similar to Ellison's Demon with a Glass Hand premise so it loses all it's charm. Ridley Scott's Alien was groundbreaking for it's time and still quite a science fiction gem nowadays while Aliens was just mindless action filled with awful over-the-top characters; like Starship Troopers but without the smart-dumb satire which made it fun -- Would you like to know more?
Well to each his own, but I think T1 and Aliens are classic sci-fi movies, and I'm not alone in thinking so. I haven't seen Demon with a Glass Hand, so I can't comment...

I agree that Alien is the best for horror, but the second one is just such an entertaining action movie. Also, I find the over-the-top characters funny; particularly Hudson. I find Starship Troopers, on the other-hand, to be ridiculously over-the-top and cheesy. C'est la vie...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #4002
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Well to each his own, but I think T1 and Aliens are classic sci-fi movies, and I'm not alone in thinking so. I haven't seen Demon with a Glass Hand, so I can't comment...

I agree that Alien is the best for horror, but the second one is just such an entertaining action movie. Also, I find the over-the-top characters funny; particularly Hudson. I find Starship Troopers, on the other-hand, to be ridiculously over-the-top and cheesy. C'est la vie...
Heh, and here I am loving both Aliens and Starship Troopers...

Starship Troopers knew very well that it was ridiculously over-the-top and cheesy and embraced that. That makes it hilarious in my book.

If bad movies know that they are bad, they tend to become good...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #4003
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I find Starship Troopers, on the other-hand, to be ridiculously over-the-top and cheesy. C'est la vie...
Well, there you go; it celebrates the military-huzzah-mindset so cheesy-ly that it systematically mocks it, frenchie.
And come on, weren't the brain-sucking parts like total bliss to you too?
Name:  brainbug_1474491i.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  43.4 KB

Kwaidan
An old fourfold movie about japanese folk ghost-tales.
The 1st one is about a samurai driven mad by his love choices, the 2nd about a snow woman-vampire-thing (wiki says she's known as "Yuki Onna") and his beloved, the 3rd one tells the story of the battle of Dan-no-ura and the 4th is about, well, I had given up by then. Pretty boring overall but with some funky imagery like eye-ridden skies and stuff. But yeah, it's nothing special.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #4004
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
And come on, weren't the brain-sucking parts like total bliss to you too?
Attachment 3045
Well okay, I'll give you that...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #4005
Filmfreak

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 2.5 / 5
Not bad per se, but they're trying too hard to be clever while basically being just an action movie. Most of it already feels repetitive when compared to the first Downey Jr. Holmes film. But at least they look like they had fun shooting it, and Jared Harris made a rather convincing Moriarty.

I hope no more sequels follow.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #4006
Stalker of Britain

I'm kinda with you, TimovieMan. I thought the plot was completely stupid, but I enjoyed the boys and their bromance. I was in love with all of the Holmes/Watson jokes and Moriarty the first time, but when I saw it for a 2nd time, I was less than impressed.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #4007
handsome

Goya's Ghost
From the title I was expecting a more art-centric movie to appease my inner connoisseur *french prentetious laugh* but the tidbits here and there were more than enough. It's main theme per se is the powerhungry(mad) establishments of the time and, although having some highly unlikely twists (her father's reaction at the dinner table), with the suspension of disbelief full on, it ended up being an entertaining as hell movie.
Hmm.. now that I think of it, the 1st half of the movie was set around the French Rev. so the unexpected reaction, even tho in Spain, was not so unthinkable of that zeitgeist (?) but I digress.

How the daughter looks like is a bit, hum, cheesy and the main "villain" is no Salieri (more along the lines of Cuckoo's nurse) but, all and all, it gets my seal of approval. Oh, and Natalie Portman gets turned into a lizard.

Strange Days
Haven't seen this one in a (long) while; hasn't aged well at all. Bleh.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #4008
Filmfreak

The Darkest Hour - 2 / 5
A movie that reminded me of Skyline: a low-budget visual effects showcase with not-overly-known stars, a plot that's mediocre at best, and questionable creature design. It's not that bad, but for Emile Hirsch it's still a far cry from Into the Wild. If he's ever going to have a decent career, he should avoid movies like this...
And will someone tell the screenwriters that it's ok to have
Spoiler:
aliens that are electromagnetic waves instead of always being creatures that use electromagnetic waves as cloaking devices. Why does intelligent alien life always have to have living tissue? And while we're at it, tell those screenwriters that it's NOT ok to destroy an alien by simply throwing a piece of its shield into it where you'd otherwise need either a bazooka or at the very least entire clips of bullets...
And wouldn't these types of aliens be VERY sensitive to an EMP pulse? As in: it could potentially wipe them out in seconds?

Also: Max Minghella is already being typecast. Here (as a backstory) he plays a young man that's made a social networking site for travelling youngsters, but gets backstabbed by his Swedish companion. In The Social Network he played... well, well, well...

J. Edgar - 2.5 / 5
In its entirety J. Edgar is a good biopic film. The story is actually quite good, acting performances are great (although DiCaprio is trying a bit too hard to get an Oscar nod), and even director Clint "The Legend" Eastwood's low-key music is great. Then why am I so harsh in my rating? Because mediocre make-up effects bring the entire film down.
There are several scenes where DiCaprio (as the old J. Edgar) wears convincing make-up, but there are plenty of scenes where it's an obvious near-immovable mask. The same goes for Armie Hammer's make-up. As the old Mr. Tolson, his make-up looks consistently bad. They only did a good job on Naomi Watts' ageing make-up.
Which brings me to the following point: since they basically "skip" the entire '40s and '50s in J. Edgar Hoover's life, wouldn't it have been better to just use different actors? There's a 30-year age gap between all the scenes in the film, so why not just go with an older actor instead of going for unrealistic make-up? I'm sure Jon Voight could do a convincing J. Edgar even without needing lots of adjustments to make him look like J. Edgar (because he already does, imo)...
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #4009
Lazy Bee

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - slow paced, brilliant film about British agents during the cold war. I read a review that said if the film would have had scents as well as images and sound it would smell like wet tweed and cigarette smoke. That's spot on.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #4010
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - slow paced, brilliant film about British agents during the cold war. I read a review that said if the film would have had scents as well as images and sound it would smell like wet tweed and cigarette smoke. That's spot on.
Is there a lot of backroom scheming in it? Because it's based on a novel by John Le Carré and sinister goings-on in dark backrooms are paramount in his novels...

Lol @ scents added to movies. John Waters tried that once with his "odorama". Never quite caught on...
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #4011
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Is there a lot of backroom scheming in it? Because it's based on a novel by John Le Carré and sinister goings-on in dark backrooms are paramount in his novels...
It's not by far as much scheming as in his novels (I've read a few, not this one though) but still some.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #4012
handsome

Prospero's Books
It's Greenaway being his pretentious lovable self as always.
I remember him quoting Cecil B. DeMille about something like how if you hear the music in a film then the former failed miserably; Simply astonishing how he can match every single note of Nyman's hipnotic minimalistic score with some of the most epic fauvistic food-for-thought visuals so marvelously tha-*head explodes*
Yeah, I liked this one, a lot.

Spotting poor Marsyas hidden in the chiaroscuro in that memorable opening scene (100 freaking mythological and historical characters!) made me walk on air -- only thing missing was Tiziano.

Vicent (1987)
Speaking of fauvism (abrupt segue): 90min. of actor John Hurt reading Van Gogh's letters to Theo (and Gauguin) while showing beautiful fitting imagery (e.g. landscapes, his paintings, etc.). Sublime.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #4013

I've just seen on DVD:

Cars 2- not very good.

Made in Dagenham about the ladies' strike for better way or rather equal pay for the same work as the men. A really really good movie

Green Lantern - as first I was very reluctant about this movie, but I became pleasant surprised.

Transformers 3 - a so so movie with a so so clearly US positive ending.

X: Men: The Beginning - a very good movie in my opinion. I was also weary of this movie, but I got pleasantly surprised, too

And then a fantastic new interpretation of the nutcracker in which Uncle Albert (Einstein that is) plays a rather pivotal role.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #4014
handsome

Topsy-Turvy
Funny, quirky and highly quotable -- like any of Mike Leigh's movies for that matter --, but I couldn't help but feel that Jim Broadbent already played similar roles elsewhere . The lack of a gloomy vibe (although having a handful of ever-silently suffering characters) unlike Naked or his more recent Another Year was quite refreshing.

Magnolia (again)
I'd convinced myself that it couldn't be as bad as I had remembered it to be when a friend invited me to watch it (her favorite movie) at her place. Lesson excruciatingly learned!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #4015
MoP
Comfortably Numb

On New Years Eve my girlfriend and I went to see "Margin Call". It's a bit simplistic ("wait, what, is this figure right? omg it's financial crisis time") but overall we really liked it, the 2 hours or so went by in a flash. I can safely recommend this one, If You don't mind dialogues instead of explosions.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #4016
handsome

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
A musical miniseries with typical Joss Whendion unfunny clichés, including a dark twist and the ever so annoying Nathan Fillion. I always liked the pre-Barney Neil Patrick Harris so I was hoping something, hum, at least good.
This pic pretty much summarizes the plot if spidey was being serious:
Name:  Daredevil_8_Panel.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  89.4 KB
I guess I just wanted to show Daredevil scoring.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #4017
handsome

Nightwatching and Rembrandt's J'accouse

Both from Greenaway; the first being a full-length movie about Rembrandt's fall, and Greenaway's version of what the famous mysterious paiting "The Night Watch" or "The Shooting Company of Frans Banning Cocq" is all about, and the latter being an 1h25min-long documentary dissecting\explaining even more the painting\Greenaway's views in a sorta like making-of... sorta.

Martin Freeman plays a wonderful Rembrandt which goes along beautifully with the pompous symbolism-filled imagery we're used from Greenaway (love it!) and, even tho it's not M.Nyman or Wim Mertens this time, the soundtrack still has some striking tunes -- wish I knew who plays the violin one . But what the movie captured perfectly was Rembrandt's relationship with Saskia -- I've always loved his studies of her and what they ment --, even though she should've looked a bit more uninteresting-like and Hendrickje, well, she's supposed to be plump. But nitpicking aside, the movie was awesome, especially if you're an art lover like moi.

I just wished the documentary was bit longer cause I was loving hearing Greenaway's reasons like as to why those weren't dwarfs a la Velázquez's Las Meninas (which I always thought they were) or talking about stuff that few know like the liaison between the story behind Andries de Graeff's portrait and the central figure of the painting, Frans Banning Cock.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #4018
Filmfreak

Let Me In – 3 / 5

It's 95% identical to Let the Right One In - if you don't count the English translation and use of different actors -, yet it's 100% inferior. And I don't even really get why that is...
They had the perfect cast. The second I found out about this remake and before I knew who they'd cast, I'd said Chloë Grace Moretz (based on Kick-Ass) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (based on The Road) would be perfect – the right age, the right *feel* and enough talent. Imagine my surprise when I read they'd both been cast, with Elias Koteas and Richard Jenkins in it as well. I've rarely been so intrigued by the casting choices for a remake. This actually looked promising.
Now that I've seen it, I don't know how they could make this both so close to the original yet so far from it in terms of quality. Not that it's bad – you can’t really go wrong with the original book and movie script – it's just inferior. It's like director Matt Reeves has totally missed the dark undertone and the actual point of the movie. Although, to be honest, I should've seen that coming when they changed the original title to "Let Me In". That simply misses the double layer of the original title in favour of an actual quote. It misses the part of 'Let the Right One In' that leaves a bad taste in your mouth during the ending credits.
For lack of a better comparison: it's like renaming Bin-jip (literally "Empty House") to 3-Iron. Yes, the title has something to do with the movie, but it also misses the point entirely. I prefer when titles go more for meaning and less for the "most frequently appearing object or quote". And titles are important!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #4019
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Let Me In – 3 / 5

It's 95% identical to Let the Right One In - if you don't count the English translation and use of different actors -, yet it's 100% inferior. And I don't even really get why that is...
They had the perfect cast. The second I found out about this remake and before I knew who they'd cast, I'd said Chloë Grace Moretz (based on Kick-Ass) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (based on The Road) would be perfect – the right age, the right *feel* and enough talent. Imagine my surprise when I read they'd both been cast, with Elias Koteas and Richard Jenkins in it as well. I've rarely been so intrigued by the casting choices for a remake. This actually looked promising.
Now that I've seen it, I don't know how they could make this both so close to the original yet so far from it in terms of quality. Not that it's bad – you can’t really go wrong with the original book and movie script – it's just inferior. It's like director Matt Reeves has totally missed the dark undertone and the actual point of the movie. Although, to be honest, I should've seen that coming when they changed the original title to "Let Me In". That simply misses the double layer of the original title in favour of an actual quote. It misses the part of 'Let the Right One In' that leaves a bad taste in your mouth during the ending credits.
For lack of a better comparison: it's like renaming Bin-jip (literally "Empty House") to 3-Iron. Yes, the title has something to do with the movie, but it also misses the point entirely. I prefer when titles go more for meaning and less for the "most frequently appearing object or quote". And titles are important!
Couldn't agree more. Though I'd probably give it a lower rating myself. Me and my sister both thought it was inferior in every way and totally unnecessary. The only two things I liked was how the movie started - HÃ¥kan's capture, before jumping back in time - and that the bullies were portrayed as more aggressive/violent. But the chemistry between the two leads did nothing for me and it lacked that haunting charm. The CGI was godawful too...

Definitely don't need to see it again...

Quote:
The second I found out about this remake and before I knew who they'd cast, I'd said Chloë Grace Moretz (based on Kick-Ass) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (based on The Road) would be perfect – the right age, the right *feel* and enough talent. Imagine my surprise when I read they'd both been cast, with Elias Koteas and Richard Jenkins in it as well.
Wow! That was quite an impressive guess...

One Hour Photo

Me and my family had only got round to watching this the other week despite having it on DVD for ages.

Robin Williams stars, in one of his more serious roles, as a shy, socially inept, lonely (bit like me ) photo technician/developer called Seymour "Sy" Parrish who works at a local supermarket. Problem is, he has an unhealthy obsession with a particular family - the Yorkins - whom he develops photos for. Using the negatives, he makes copies of their photos for himself so he can share their happiness and memories, he fantasizes about being a part of the family, and tries to get closer to them.

Eventually, Sy discovers that his ideal family aren't quite as perfect as he thought, causing him to go over the edge.

I rather enjoyed this one. And Sy comes off as both creepy and sympathetic.

4/5

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 02-01-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #4020
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
One Hour Photo

I rather enjoyed this one. And Sy comes off as both creepy and sympathetic.

4/5
Fully agree. Robin Williams did a superb job in this role. I had hoped that with this role, his role in Insomnia and in Death to Smoochy he would've gotten his career back on track. Alas it wasn't meant to be...

Last edited by TimovieMan; 02-02-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: typo