You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #3961
handsome

World Greatest Dad and Skeletons
Really great gems here. Both funny (Skels in a weird LSD way) and Robin Williams was great in WGD. What more can I say?

Name:  33722seal_of_approval.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  14.8 KB
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #3962
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Oh brilliant. Yesterday the Christian Party in our government found it necessary to kick out an 18 year old boy from Angola who had been here for 9 years already. The discription of Le Havre in the IMDB reminded me of that.
Yeah, for some reason the Christian parties don't really seem to care too much for humane values...

Anyways, no the right topic

Umm... I did see Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask this weekend. Old Woody Allen movie (1972). Started weak (first episode - as it is an episodic movie), but then after that it was pretty good. Not by far the best from Woody Allen, but it did have its moments.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #3963
handsome

Superheroes and In the Loop (again)
Can't get enough of In the Loop, it's just that awesome so 5\5.
Superheroes is a documentary about real-life heroes (the ones that dress in caped costumes). It's funny and inspiring (and a bit creepy here and there). Gotta love Mister Legend and his psychic powers.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #3964
Filmfreak

Went to see 50/50 and Killer Elite.

50/50 - 3.5 / 5
Considering the rather heavy topic of cancer, this is a very light and fun movie. And they're considerate enough never to make fun of cancer itself. It's more of a "just because you have cancer doesn't mean you should lose your sense of humour" type of comedy. Gordon-Levitt is great in this (and he's obviously picking his movies well lately, which could lead to a long and prosperous career), and I have a feeling that a lot of the film was ad-libbed (especially the scenes with Rogen) to hilarious effect. And Anne Kendrick was adorable in her role. All in all, a very pleasant surprise!

Killer Elite - 2 / 5
Very standard action movie with a bit too little action in it. Apart from Statham and Owen, there was very little Elite about the Killers, and the movie also takes itself way too seriously AND it drags on too long. But at least Dominic Purcell gave a memorable performance, and there were a couple of nice touches in it (like using a loaf of bread as a makeshift silencer). The scene where Statham kicks arse while tied to a chair involved some very good stunt work (but you can see most of that in the trailer already - that backflip is especially cool).
In its entirety: the film is mediocre at best.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #3965
handsome

Wild Palms (6hour mini-series)
What a beautifully crafted mindfuck this one was! Even Jim Belushi was awesome in his confused pawn role (him not fully understanding the sci-fi\greek tragedy\soap opera-ish script was a definitive plus). It isn't perfect of course, but that "Flower, Sun and Rain" vibe and all those cameos and references just seriously made me lonelyisland in my pants...

As wikipedia noted: The New York Times called it "terrific" and a "truly wild six-hour mini-series" resembling "nothing so much as an acid freak's fantasy, drenched in paranoia and more pop-culture allusions than a Dennis Miller monologue." It was described as "rich and insinuating as a good theatrical film, albeit harder to follow" and said to "vibrate with an inventiveness that rarely flags."

And look at that sexy cover
Name:  WildPalmsVHS.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  28.9 KB

In search of Steve Ditko with Jonathan Ross
From Alan Moore singing to Ross and Neil Gaiman being all emotional in the end, this was just pure fun.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #3966
Stalker of Britain

Oh man, talking about mini-series...love love love 10th Kingdom. <3
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #3967
handsome

Unsurprisingly my girlfriend loves it too. Chicks dig Wolf, I guess.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #3968
Stalker of Britain

Wolf is amazing, but it's more than that, of course.

The background, both scenery and story, is amazing and detailed, and I could go on and on about it. Have you seen it, then?
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #3969
Filmfreak

Went to see Tower Heist and In Time.

Tower Heist - 2.5 / 5
The definition of a completely standard heist movie. It has all the right ingredients, yet nothing stands out. It's all well orchestrated but it all lacks punch, making it an average movie.
And Ben Stiller should really stop wearing that much make-up and eye-liner. Who cares if he's starting to show his age? It's not like he's gonna stay 25 forever...

In Time - 2.5 / 5
This one is really easy to summarize: "an hour of awesome followed by a half hour of suck". The film has a great concept (it's Logan's Run but improved), and Andrew Niccol once again has some social commentary to give out. But after an hour the plot becomes far too silly and it all comes apart. Instead of going for a couple of action sequences, he should have gone for a more fleshed out world. Now it's just "wasted potential". I fear Andrew Niccol will never again reach the level of his debut movie Gattaca.
And it didn't help that the lead character was not played by an actor but by Justin Timberlake.
On a technical side, there was a car crash in this that was so cheap it looked like it was done with a Matchbox car. But on the other hand, there was a sequence where Timberlake shoots two guys while he's arm wrestling a third which was filmed in a very cool manner...
I should really be more harsh on this and give it a lower rating, but I can't ignore the awesome potential that In Time had, and I really liked the first hour...
I very much like the ideas that Niccol has. I just don't always like what he does with them...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #3970
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Have you seen it, then?
Have I? Suck an elf! the series was my everything when i was about 13y old Then suddenly I just forgot all about it, till a few years ago when I played Ripper and recognized that mug from somewhere.

He's amazing? Well, did you know Wolf was based on me? I'm also a ruggedly handsome and always-hungry-for-some-shepherdesses guy, so, you know... wanna stroke my tail? *wink-wink*
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #3971
Stalker of Britain

Wait, what mug you talking about? I'm glad it was your everything...it's still part of my everything. "How can we be in a matchbox, you idiot!...Where are all the matches?!"

Wait, you're always looking for some sheperdess guy? But yes, I'll stroke your fur, and with it, not against it...Man, I'm such a dork.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #3972
handsome

Scott Cohen's mug\face\that which you (still) have a crush on, of course!

Don't you twist my wo...well, the mass effect guy is kinda cute actualy (ugh!). Yes yes many thanks my dorky princess, and in return I'll sing you a song which "concerns a deadly fever that only strikes on saturdays".
Old 11-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #3973
Stalker of Britain

He was in Ripper? No way! And Christopher Walken?! I gotta play this game...

...I'm your dorky princess? *blushes furiously* Aww, thanks. Lets hope Louie doesn't get wind of this affair. "Night fever, night feevaaar!"
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #3974
handsome

If he does I'll just give him the red-hot shoes treatment so he'll dance for us while I'm giving you the singing ring!

A few more references from 10th K. and we'll break some kind of world record here...huff puff
Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #3975
Stalker of Britain

*sigh* I always wished they had made the sequel. They had even written out a tentative script, and it was going to be Wolf-centered... Well, I'll be wishing on a star. (Oh, there can never be too many references)
Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #3976
handsome

Sequel shmequel!
It ended as a charming fairy tale should, ring inside the ugly fish and all... unless they're still "sleeping" in the mushrooms-ridden swamp and it was all just a dream, so the sequel would be just poor little Wolfy moping around the kingdoms until the Hunter gave him the coup de grâce.

Now THAT would've been an awesome sequel! Wouldn't it Fantasysci5? Wouldn't it? Name:  wlEmoticon-angel.png
Views: 92
Size:  1.0 KB
If so, let's then wish on all the rainbows that we've seen.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #3977
Stalker of Britain

Eh, a fairytale may end happily there, but there's always room for more, especially with how detailed 10th Kingdom and its lore is. If I used the magic bean to wish though, it would probably be a crappy sequel. (Somebody better interrupt this banter, or I'll just keep going against TiAgUh with the references...)
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #3978
handsome

I'll be the party pooper since my half-wit Louie (soon to be a *complete* idiot) is starting to get jealous. It was good while it lasted my dear Virginia (now blow my mind by saying thats actually your real your name ).

--------------
Tarsem's The Fall
Tried waaay to hard to be avant-garde with it's overabundance of wide shots, symmetries, artsy transitions, etc, and it even plays Beethoven's 7th symphony quite a few times -- a bit of style over substance but an overall enjoyable movie.
The The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-inspired tale in itself was especially fun, with young Charles Darwin and his monkey pal stealing the show.
Oh, and if you're not as manly as me, you'll definitely cry with this one.

Last edited by TiAgUh; 12-02-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: you know, typos and stuff
Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #3979
handsome

The Trip and Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story

Loving Coogan and Rob Brydon it wasn't hard to love these movies right away too. Them impressions nearly made me piss myself, especially the Billy Connolly one and the "she was only fifteen years old!"
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #3980
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Tarsem's The Fall
Tried waaay to hard to be avant-garde with it's overabundance of wide shots, symmetries, artsy transitions, etc, and it even plays Beethoven's 7th symphony quite a few times -- a bit of style over substance but an overall enjoyable movie.
The The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-inspired tale in itself was especially fun, with young Charles Darwin and his monkey pal stealing the show.
Oh, and if you're not as manly as me, you'll definitely cry with this one.
I absolutely LOVED The Fall!
I don't really agree with your "style over substance"-remark because to me this is one of the rare "style AND substance" movies.
The little kid in the film is simply adorable, and you have to applaud Tarsem Singh's use of some of the most beautiful locations on the planet. Nearly every shot was breathtaking - especially if you had the chance (like me) to watch this on the big screen. And the use of colour is as impressive as Zhang Yimou's best work. Heck, it even brought an ode to Hollywood stunt men...
And yes, I cried with this one.