View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #3980
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Tarsem's The Fall
Tried waaay to hard to be avant-garde with it's overabundance of wide shots, symmetries, artsy transitions, etc, and it even plays Beethoven's 7th symphony quite a few times -- a bit of style over substance but an overall enjoyable movie.
The The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-inspired tale in itself was especially fun, with young Charles Darwin and his monkey pal stealing the show.
Oh, and if you're not as manly as me, you'll definitely cry with this one.
I absolutely LOVED The Fall!
I don't really agree with your "style over substance"-remark because to me this is one of the rare "style AND substance" movies.
The little kid in the film is simply adorable, and you have to applaud Tarsem Singh's use of some of the most beautiful locations on the planet. Nearly every shot was breathtaking - especially if you had the chance (like me) to watch this on the big screen. And the use of colour is as impressive as Zhang Yimou's best work. Heck, it even brought an ode to Hollywood stunt men...
And yes, I cried with this one.