You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #3761
handsome

Sunshine
Cliched as hell but still fun

Sideways
Hilarious movie with great performances by Giamatti and T.Haden Church

Joint Security Area (JSA)
The core story and most of the acting was perfect (especially both protagonists from Sympathy for Mr. Vegeance and the main one) but the english parts and the blonde guy that plays a swiss investigador ugh are simply awful ! Buuut they don't ruin the movie, just annoying.
Can't wait for Thirst! (April 1st in theaters here), im really curious what Park Chan Wook will do with that theme.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #3762

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
I saw Hurt Locker during the weekend. A very average movie, can't see what's all the fuss about. As war movies go, I am still impressed with Generation Kill (although it is a series, not a movie technically
KasiaD, here is a short description on why I thought The Hurt Locker was great:

Jeremy Renner defusing bombs while in the middle of a war zone! Enough said.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #3763

Hehe I cannot but agree that Jeremy is not bad
Anyway,

I saw Aliens the other day - best movie with marines ever
Old 03-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #3764

Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #3765
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
I saw Hurt Locker during the weekend. A very average movie, can't see what's all the fuss about. As war movies go, I am still impressed with Generation Kill (although it is a series, not a movie technically
I thought it was crap, perhaps the most overrated movie ever. I posted this in September about it:

The Hurt Locker
I was really looking forward to this, particularly because of it's glowing reviews and alleged 'realism'. The film is shot in a very gritty, grainy and quickly cut docu-film style making events feel that little more tangible and 'real'. Despite this and the films modern setting the film careers into ridiculous implausibility on a number of occasions shattering any empathy for the protagonists' situation and taking any tension with it. Ultimately this film is absurd nonsense masquerading as reality and by the looks of things it's even fooling the critics.

EDIT: It seems that members of the military are really pissed with this film for similar reasons to the above.

-----

Watched Little Miss Sunshine last week and thought it was brilliant. The young girl was adorable and I absolutely loved the ending.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #3766
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Silent Hill - It wasn't bad, but I've never actually played any of the games so I don't really know how it compares.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #3767
Random

Today I watched Y Tu Mama Tambien - 2001.

Probably it will not flatter every kind of viewers. In my opnion, it's an excellent movie, much more deeper than it seems. Brilliant performance by Maribel Verdu.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #3768
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Today I watched Y Tu Mama Tambien - 2001.

Probably it will not flatter every kind of viewers. In my opnion, it's an excellent movie, much more deeper than it seems. Brilliant performance by Maribel Verdu.
What a film! I thought it was a fantastic existential road trip. It's sad and damn funny in equal measures.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #3769
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
Ultimately this film is absurd nonsense masquerading as reality(...)
Isn't its purpose to entertain?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #3770
Random

Quote:
What a film! I thought it was a fantastic existential road trip. It's sad and damn funny in equal measures.
Yeah, I must agree with you. What do you think about the ending? I thought it was brilliant.
Spoiler:
I could swear that Luisa's sadness had something to do with her husband. When Tenoch said that she had cancer, at the end of the movie, everything made sense to me. I realised how important that trip was to her.

Have you ever seen The Motorcycle Diaries (Diarios de Motocicleta)? It has a similar plot, also with Gael Garcia. It's about the road trip Che (Guevara) did when he was young, before being a revolutionary. Highly recommended!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 03-04-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #3771
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Isn't its purpose to entertain?
I'm not getting into the purposes of film, but The Hurt Locker was too preposterous to be given the realistic treatment. I went in expecting some insight into the life of a bomb disposal squad in Iraq and instead came out chewing on some pumped up, macho, fantasy BS. You could say that's my fault for not viewing it on its own merits but even as a Hollywood flick, William James was such an arsehole that wanting a bomb to blow up in his cowboy face somewhat undermined the tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Yeah, I must agree with you. What do you think about the ending? I thought it was brilliant.
Spoiler:
I could swear that Luisa's sadness had something to do with her husband. When Tenoch said that she had cancer, at the end of the movie, everything made sense to me. I realised how important that trip was to her.

Have you ever seen The Motorcycle Diaries (Diarios de Motocicleta)? It has a similar plot, also with Gael Garcia. It's about the road trip Che (Guevara) did when he was young, before being a revolutionary. Highly recommended!
AHH! Thanks for that, I knew Gael Garcia played Che in something, I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was though. I kept saying the film 'Che' much to my girlfriend disagreeing. Of course that was Benicio Del Toro. I haven't seen it no, but shall put it on the pile!

Regarding Y Tu Mama Tambien:

Spoiler:
The film was steeped in tragedy the moment you realised her affliction. It was also sad to see Tenoch and Julio drift apart after that trip. I think there was a theme of opportunism running through it as well which I suppose is a staple existential device. Both Luisa and the boys seemed to be making the most of their situations for entirely different reasons. It's very sad film really despite its humour.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #3772
handsome

Quote:
I went in expecting some insight into the life of a bomb disposal squad in Iraq and instead came out chewing on some pumped up, macho, fantasy BS.
So you're just mad with their 'marketing'. You should know better than totally trusting them tsk tsk
___

*something something* Raining Meatballs

Watch it with a girl cause she loooo0o0oves those pixar movies and stuff and i.. actually.. quite.. liked.. it, at least for the 1st half (which made us laugh many times), the rest was just tiring and we weren't paying too much attention to it ..

oh, and Mr. T is awesome.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #3773
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Alice in Wonderland
I'm obviously someone afraid of progress or somesuch, because I found the 3D relatively pointless (and at times actually distracting), but I thought that the actual film was enjoyable enough - if perhaps not quite as crazy as I would have liked.

In the Loop
Me likes.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #3774
kamikaze hummingbirds

In the Loop is very good, I agree. But then again it's Armando Iannucci, of course it's going to be brilliant.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #3775
Citizen of Bizarro World

oh yes! "you didn't pull your dick out and start plucking it shouting 'we need banjo'" --most I've ever laughed at a movie.

Bad Lieutenant
Nick Cage's fantastic in this. The movie's surprisingly funny and entertaining, despite the slow plodding style and subject matter (junkie cop).

Men who stare at goats
Excellent casting choice of Ewan McGregor as a journalist turned padawan while investigating U.S.A's hilarious "Jedi Warrior" psychic soldier innitiative. Clooney and Bridges kick most ass as the gurus, though.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #3776
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
*something something* Raining Meatballs.
It's "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" I think.Louie and I watched tha because it was on our school's movie channel, and there was nothing else to do. It was pretty cute and original. Not a favorite or "Finding Nemo" worthy, but fun to watch.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #3777
Citizen of Bizarro World

Capitalism: A love story

Moore really nails these bastards. I'm glad he ended the movie on a hopeful note with the election of Obama, but I'm afraid hope is just fairytale thinking at this point.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #3778
The Quiet One

Alice in Wonderland

... Bleh. This film disappointed me. To be fair, I've not been impressed with Tim Burton's latest movies at all. His last 'recent' film I really liked was Corpse Bride.

I was really looking forward to Alice, but sadly, it's one of those 'mainstream' films that I'm, quite frankly, sick of and it's not one I need to see again. This movie is a perfect example of style over substance - loads and loads of CGI. I miss Burton's dark and gothic look, which was sprinkled about here and there in Alice, but not like in his older movies. I also miss the hand-made miniatures, stop-motion animation and 'Burton-esque' humour from the past. This movie just felt artificial. And while it did have the occasional humorous scene, it just felt so typical and common. It's always the same in movies today.

I lost count how many times my mind wandered off. The story and the characters didn't do much for me and neither did Danny Elfman's score.

It's because of mainstream films that I've turned my attention to foreign films/shows lately from the likes of Sweden, Spain, Japan etc. The one movie that has got my interest is Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which I can't wait to check out soon. I reckon I'll enjoy that a lot more than this CGI-fest.

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #3779
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Old Dogs - 3/5 - Not bad, didn't seem to want to stick to the stuff that could have been funny though.

Next of Kin - 4/5 - I'm a sucker for vigilante movies, and this one didn't do to bad. Just wish the final fight scene would have been longer...
Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #3780
Life and times of...

Quote:
I thought it was crap
Quote:
perhaps the most overrated movie ever.
Yeah. Obviously the visuals are amazing, but other than that it's a very predictable and uninteresting movie. Kinda like Titanic, first there's a whole bunch of needless drama, then everything blows up. For a long time.
Quote:
Watched Little Miss Sunshine last week and thought it was brilliant. The young girl was adorable and I absolutely loved the ending.
What about Little Miss Squirtgun? (well, some think it's funny, some don't... I find it OK )

Last edited by UPtimist; 03-16-2010 at 08:39 AM.