You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3941
tsa
Playing character

I just saw Tron. A ridiculous movie with some lengthy and boring scenes in it. But it was fun nonetheless.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #3942
Psychonaut

Paul

OK so the movie is named after me. However I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm a pot smoking, crude and very funny grey alien looking for my way home.

However that is exactly what the titular character from this movie is.

From the actor who brought you Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, this is Simon Pegg and Nick Frosts homage to the the comic book and nerd fanbase that have supported them over the years.

It starts slowly at Comic-Con, where the pair start their geek road trip of America, and proceeds throught he backwaters of midwest America's UFO hotspots. The movie only really hits high gear after a road accident the pick up an unusual hitchhiker. Paul the grey alien, who smokes weed, drinks and is rude crude and most importantly funny as hell. (Damn who though Seth Rogan could be funny)

Full of fun and nerdy refences to comics and sci-fi movies (From Invincible t-shirts and spawn comics to the Cantina theme in a biker bar to the obvious Alien joke and a hilarious voice cameo from ........ I ain't telling) this movie lives or dies on how much you like Seth Rogan and the performance of the CGI alien.

I loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHUQtnJsyQ
Old 02-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #3943
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

True Grit

Really good. As always, the Coen brothers have made a brilliant movie.
Jeff Bridges probably played his best role since "The Big Lebowski"!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #3944

The Black Swan

Has, by far, the best erotic lesbian scene in a ballet-themed movie ever.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #3945
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Paul

OK so the movie is named after me. However I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm a pot smoking, crude and very funny grey alien looking for my way home.

However that is exactly what the titular character from this movie is.

From the actor who brought you Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, this is Simon Pegg and Nick Frosts homage to the the comic book and nerd fanbase that have supported them over the years.

It starts slowly at Comic-Con, where the pair start their geek road trip of America, and proceeds throught he backwaters of midwest America's UFO hotspots. The movie only really hits high gear after a road accident the pick up an unusual hitchhiker. Paul the grey alien, who smokes weed, drinks and is rude crude and most importantly funny as hell. (Damn who though Seth Rogan could be funny)

Full of fun and nerdy refences to comics and sci-fi movies (From Invincible t-shirts and spawn comics to the Cantina theme in a biker bar to the obvious Alien joke and a hilarious voice cameo from ........ I ain't telling) this movie lives or dies on how much you like Seth Rogan and the performance of the CGI alien.

I loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHUQtnJsyQ
Paul doesn't open in North America until next month and while I'd love to see it now, I like that it's opening in the UK first, it's like Nick and Simon are sticking to their roots.

Your review has gotten me really excited for it! Can't wait.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #3946
Psychonaut

A trailer for a new RomCom with Amy Adam and Jason Segel (Forgetting Sarah Marshall).

Green With Envy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CloKbXtD28

Just watch out for the twist in the trailer.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #3947
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurken View Post
The Black Swan

Has, by far, the best erotic lesbian scene in a ballet-themed movie ever.
That's one specific "award" category!!

I thought it was completely Meh... It really doesn't go anywhere.

I saw Thor with a buddy of mine last weekend, just more of a means to hang out (we got totally trashed in the theatre); And not even that saved that pile of crap
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #3948
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Source Code:

One of the best sci-fi thrillers in recent years, interesting colour washing and intelligent sci-fi plot, with customary tech babble.
Liked the balance between personal relations and personal discovery/uncovering the sci-fi plot. Jake Gyllenhaal had a great performance, and I liked the twist of "making your own happy ending".

Recommended!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #3949
Life and times of...

How does it rate compared to Inception?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #3950
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
How does it rate compared to Inception?
I have unfortunately not seen Inception yet, so I can't compare the two. I would guess they're quite equal on depth and intelligence.

If you ever saw the director's previous film; Moon, it's like a more action-filled version of that one, with a more upbeat ending..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #3951
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Saw the new X-Men movie. I loved it. But I have a crush on the actor who played the young Magneto. Hubba, hubba.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #3952
handsome

Stay and Aronofsky's The Fountain
Both suffer from the predictable get-over-with-it-already plot (especially Stay) and I found myselft not caring for any of the protagonists just like Inception.
I guess Park Chan-wook, Peter Schaffer and Charlie Kaufman ruined me.

Contagion
Meh, a been there done that film. Just glad I didn't payed for the tickets (that's what girls are for ). They loved it, unsurprisingly.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #3953
Filmfreak

Ooh, a thread right up my alley (my name doesn't contain 'movieman' for nothing)!

Went to see The Ides of March and The Adventures of Tintin.

The Ides of March is an intelligent and dark political thriller that strikes a bit too close to home for comfort. Gloomy view on politics, but I really think it's the reality. A very good film if not a bit depressing...
And the cast is great. It's always a pleasure to see Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti at work (Giamatti is particularly evil in this one), and Ryan Gosling proves once again why he's the best actor of his generation (and I've been saying that ever since 'The Believer' in 2002!).
3.5 / 5

The Adventures of Tintin has its moments and really captures the atmosphere of the comics (and I'm Belgian, so I'm adamant about this). Everything looks great and the motion capturing is brilliant (when the characters talk, their tongues even move realistically!). There are a couple of action sequences that went overboard however, which kind of abstracted from the story. And I had hoped for a bit more Raiders of the Lost Ark type of adventure in the clue-following, but Spielberg and Jackson opted for more action, apparently. Technically great, but unfortunately style over substance...
At least Andy Serkis was awesome in it!
2.5 / 5

Last edited by TimovieMan; 10-29-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Expanded my Ides of March comment a bit.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #3954
handsome

Yeah, you know, I resurrected this thread just for you.

Also The Adventures of TinTin with my kid cousin.
He loved it since there's no such thing as action fatigue in his vocabulary. I've never read the comics but I loved the cartoon show when I was a wee lad (the intro music ). Anyway, I almost fell asleep especially when TinTin was speaking, I don't remember him being such a dull character. Milo (Snowy?) stole the show I guess.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #3955
tsa
Playing character

Yesterday Maruca and I saw TinTin too. The only think I didn't like is that it was in 3D but the story was interesting and the jokes were very funny and the animation was very very good!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #3956
Life and times of...

Oh, I forgot to say! I saw Le Havre by Aki Kaurismäki a week ago. A Brilliant, beautiful movie. A definite must-watch if it's ever somewhere were you can see it. They just don't make movies like this anymore.

It was also the first time in movies for a long time, and if you count the time before that, a much longer time
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #3957
Filmfreak

@ UPtimist: thanks for recommending that, I'll definitely check it out if I get the chance!
I love Kaurismäki's Man Without a Past, and I even have the Leningrad Cowboys trilogy on DVD...
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #3958
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Oh, I forgot to say! I saw Le Havre by Aki Kaurismäki a week ago. A Brilliant, beautiful movie. A definite must-watch if it's ever somewhere were you can see it. They just don't make movies like this anymore.

It was also the first time in movies for a long time, and if you count the time before that, a much longer time
Oh brilliant. Yesterday the Christian Party in our government found it necessary to kick out an 18 year old boy from Angola who had been here for 9 years already. The discription of Le Havre in the IMDB reminded me of that.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #3959
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Oh brilliant. Yesterday the Christian Party in our government found it necessary to kick out an 18 year old boy from Angola who had been here for 9 years already. The discription of Le Havre in the IMDB reminded me of that.
That got wide coverage here too. People in Belgium are as shocked as most Dutch people are (well, except those from the Christian Party) about the Mauro-case...
Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #3960
Filmfreak

Just went to see Drive. Loved it!

Drive - 4 / 5
Not your typical action movie: Nicolas Winding Refn took a rather unusual approach to this. Dialogues were kept to a minimum (but what was present was sharp and sparking), tempo was low, the music was unsettling most of the time, the film itself was subtle at times yet very 'in your face' at others...
Instead of delivering an action movie, Winding Refn created something I can only describe as 'poetic'.
Add an incredible cast (Gosling and Mulligan are the top talents in their age group, Albert Brooks was actually scary instead of being his usual neurotic self, and Perlman just had to have his impressive mouth and chin present), and you have a surprisingly good film, one of the best this year!

I like Winding Refn's style. I'm definitely adding Valhalla Rising and the Pusher-trilogy to my list of movies to watch...