View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #3969
TimovieMan
Filmfreak

Went to see Tower Heist and In Time.

Tower Heist - 2.5 / 5
The definition of a completely standard heist movie. It has all the right ingredients, yet nothing stands out. It's all well orchestrated but it all lacks punch, making it an average movie.
And Ben Stiller should really stop wearing that much make-up and eye-liner. Who cares if he's starting to show his age? It's not like he's gonna stay 25 forever...

In Time - 2.5 / 5
This one is really easy to summarize: "an hour of awesome followed by a half hour of suck". The film has a great concept (it's Logan's Run but improved), and Andrew Niccol once again has some social commentary to give out. But after an hour the plot becomes far too silly and it all comes apart. Instead of going for a couple of action sequences, he should have gone for a more fleshed out world. Now it's just "wasted potential". I fear Andrew Niccol will never again reach the level of his debut movie Gattaca.
And it didn't help that the lead character was not played by an actor but by Justin Timberlake.
On a technical side, there was a car crash in this that was so cheap it looked like it was done with a Matchbox car. But on the other hand, there was a sequence where Timberlake shoots two guys while he's arm wrestling a third which was filmed in a very cool manner...
I should really be more harsh on this and give it a lower rating, but I can't ignore the awesome potential that In Time had, and I really liked the first hour...
I very much like the ideas that Niccol has. I just don't always like what he does with them...