You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #3781
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
To be fair, I've not been impressed with Tim Burton's latest movies at all.
His movies are just waaay too overated especially the Burton-Depp ones, only his Ed Wood truly rocks.

what do YOU know? haven't you heard of suspension of disbelief??! - i just love that part <3
Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #3782
Stalker of Britain

2012-Disappointing. The thing that set this apart from other disaster movies is that it didn't take itself seriously from the very beginning. Other disaster movies, like "The Knowing", took itself way too seriously to have a supernatural "alien" ending. I felt jipped at the end of that movie, but here, I took it for what it was, and enjoyed it. The only reason aliens attacking Earth work in movies is like "Independence Day" (IMHO), since it's realistic what would really happen. Eh. I prefer disaster movies that aren't the whole world, but just a small place, like "Tremors" or "Titanic", of course.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 03-16-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #3783
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
2012-Disappointing. It didn't take itself seriously from the very beginning, which made it more enjoyable than somethig like "The Knowing", where it took itself serious, which got ruined when it was aliens. The only good alien attacking earth movie is "Independence Day", in my humble opinion, of course. I enjoyed this movie instead of feeling jipped since it was set up to be rediculious. Eh.
It was aliens in "The Knowing"? That doesn't follow the book at all!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #3784
Stalker of Britain

I believe that was the name of it. The one with Nicolas Cage? Eh, I'm sorry if I ruined it for you, but really there's nothing to ruin-don't see it. It took itself so seriously, and would have made a good movie, if the ending wasn't so fantastic and unbelievable. At least with "Independence Day" that had aliens, I felt it was handled well and realistically.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #3785
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I believe that was the name of it. The one with Nicolas Cage? Eh, I'm sorry if I ruined it for you, but really there's nothing to ruin-don't see it. It took itself so seriously, and would have made a good movie, if the ending wasn't so fantastic and unbelievable. At least with "Independence Day" that had aliens, I felt it was handled well and realistically.
Shit I was thinking of "The Happening"...
Old 03-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #3786
Stalker of Britain

Oops! Sorry about that. lol Yes, that was a horrible movie, but it was so bad it was funny. The houseplant part nearly killed me of laughter. There's a movie that tries to take itself seriously, and fails miserably. It was worth it, though.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #3787

I'm a huge M. Night Shyamalan fan boy. I mean The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and particularly Signs rank as some of my favourite movies of all time. Then I saw The Happening... it made me sad.

M. Night, what happened?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #3788
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I'm a huge M. Night Shyamalan fan boy. I mean The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and particularly Signs rank as some of my favourite movies of all time. Then I saw The Happening... it made me sad.

M. Night, what happened?
I love Unbreakable, Bruce Willis "vaguely" confirmed a sequel recently and said it should start shooting sometime next year. That was the only part I disliked was the whole super hero build up, and then only one really super heroic deed.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #3789

I've heard what we saw was only the first half of the original script. He just decided to cut it mid way. It works well as an origin story I think. I hope the sequel holds up.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #3790
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I've heard what we saw was only the first half of the original script. He just decided to cut it mid way. It works well as an origin story I think. I hope the sequel holds up.
Not as solid of a confirmation as I remembered, but here's the link... ComingSoon
Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 AM   #3791
The Quiet One

I'm no M. Night Shyamalan fan. The only movie of his that I think is great is The Sixth Sense.

I was disappointed with Signs, I hated The Village - was bored out of my mind at the cinema - and Unbreakable was average. I have no interest in any of his latest films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
His movies are just waaay too overated especially the Burton-Depp ones, only his Ed Wood truly rocks.

what do YOU know? haven't you heard of suspension of disbelief??! - i just love that part <3
I grew up watching his older movies though, and I just love the fairytale-gothicness to them.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #3792
kamikaze hummingbirds

Mulholland Drive

Certainly strange; but very fascinating and quite immersive. I have to be up early in the morning so can't give a massive review, but I personally think I have a relatively good understanding of what happened, contrary to the reports of some that it is impenetrably nonsensical (though certain parts make no sense to me at this moment).

Also, Naomi Watts is hot.

Overall, I'm glad I've seen it.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #3793
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
I love Unbreakable, Bruce Willis "vaguely" confirmed a sequel recently and said it should start shooting sometime next year. That was the only part I disliked was the whole super hero build up, and then only one really super heroic deed.
It's been a really long time, but if I remember correctly that was exactly why I liked it - it didn't become a superhero movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Mulholland Drive

Certainly strange; but very fascinating and quite immersive. I have to be up early in the morning so can't give a massive review, but I personally think I have a relatively good understanding of what happened, contrary to the reports of some that it is impenetrably nonsensical (though certain parts make no sense to me at this moment).

Also, Naomi Watts is hot.

Overall, I'm glad I've seen it.
No go see it again, and maybe a third time too! Some of the parts may become clearer (and if it's really good, some parts may become obscure again )...

Ah, what a movie
Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #3794
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
No go see it again, and maybe a third time too! Some of the parts may become clearer (and if it's really good, some parts may become obscure again )...

Ah, what a movie
Must agree, this one really deserves a second or more viewing to understand more of it.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #3795
Psychonaut

Alice in Wonderland

It was ok and that was a dissapointment.

Tim Burton and Alice is a match made in heaven, but it lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on. Not enough Burton and too much Disney I would supect.

There were touches of him in there (Crossing the moat of heads), but there was also some really annoying parts, like Ann Hathaways floaty performance as the White Queen.

Johnny Depp was also a mis-step. His performance was suitably over the top, but that was a very hit and miss Scottish Accent.

Everything about the film was mediocre and I expected excellence. Not as bad as Planet of the Apes, but it was no Edward Scissorhands.

*Sigh*

From Paris with Love

From the people that brought you Taxi and Transporter.

Jeeez has John Travolta been putting on the beef. It was bad enough in the not all that funny "Old Dogs" with Robin Williams, but in this we are suppossed to believe he is a hot shot secret agent.

If this farce was supposed to be funny it would have hit all the right marks, but unfotunatly I think it was supposed to be serious.

At least in Transporter I could believe that the main star is capable of these feats.

LOL
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #3796
Psychonaut

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

It was more fun than I expected. Decent effects and a reasonable script. I enjoyed it. (Rumours say that the young lead may be the new Spiderman)

Crazy Heart

A cookie cutter biopic that strangely isn't a biopic. It is basically "The Wrestler", but with a country singer instead of a wrestler.

The only saving grace is a superb turn by Jeff Bridges as the Alcoholic burned out singer. He literally saves this movie.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #3797
Life and times of...

On a side-note, why are young(er) actors nowadays so... just so bland? I mean, completely uncharismatic, gray, just flat. Sure there are exceptions, like the girl who played Juno and a couple others, mainly more towards comedy, but then for each of them there's a bunch of the Passionate (shirtless) Wolf-boys, the Prison break -fellows, Transformer kids... All those people, actors completely because of their (mainly annoying to me, but apparently appealing to some) looks?

I mean, you can see it in their eyes. There's not really anything there.

Bradd Pitt probably got so famous because of his looks, but he's also a charismatic and simply good actor. When has that lost its importance?

That is all.

BTW, saw Lemony Snickett a while back. Amazing work from Jim Carrey, all those roles... Also, really gorgeous end-credits. The movie was quite good, but it had so much more potential.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #3798

I have just seen (on DVD) the movies
'9' and Julia & Julie. 9 is a movie, produced by Tim Burton. I found this movie to be very moving and emotional, quite original and unique.

Julia and Julie is a very good movie, I find. Meryl Streep deserved an Oscar for her role as Julia Child; I find. She played it very convincingly...
Old 03-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #3799
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
On a side-note, why are young(er) actors nowadays so... just so bland? I mean, completely uncharismatic, gray, just flat. Sure there are exceptions, like the girl who played Juno and a couple others, mainly more towards comedy, but then for each of them there's a bunch of the Passionate (shirtless) Wolf-boys, the Prison break -fellows, Transformer kids... All those people, actors completely because of their (mainly annoying to me, but apparently appealing to some) looks?

I mean, you can see it in their eyes. There's not really anything there.

Bradd Pitt probably got so famous because of his looks, but he's also a charismatic and simply good actor. When has that lost its importance?

That is all.

BTW, saw Lemony Snickett a while back. Amazing work from Jim Carrey, all those roles... Also, really gorgeous end-credits. The movie was quite good, but it had so much more potential.
People will lap up whatever they're given, whatever they're told to like. The easier to digest, the better. It's the same way with music, games, culture, everyday life - people are undiscerning and go for the quick fix because they have grown up and become saturated with that stuff and don't know any better.

Last edited by haptsonir; 03-20-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #3800
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Mulholland Drive

Certainly strange;
Certainly Lynch
__

Well I've been rewatching some of my old favorites like 24HourPartyPeople, Coffee and Cigarettes, Lynch's Crumb, The almighty Lebowski, et cetera, since i've found some old vhs' and dvd's lying around my dad's garage. Still awesome movies
__

Also watched some new ones:

I'm a cyborg but thats OK
A weird one from Park Chan Wook. I quite liked it, not as much as his revenge trilogy or JSA, but still it was nice.

Lars and The Real Girl
A funny wtf movie

Up
Jesus! what can i say about this one.. it was boring as f*ck ! even the girl who was watching it with me (and she loves animated movies, especially Pixar ones) thought it was unfunny and lame. Talking about overrated