You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #3821
Stalker of Britain

I watched the new "Sherlock Holmes" movie on Easter...three times. Seriously.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #3822
Lazy Bee

Yesterday I went to see Valentine's day with a dear friend of mine who desperately needed to watch something romantic. I can honestly say I never would have seen this movie otherwise.
It was (almost) OK. Kind of charming and it gave me a few laughs and there were a lot of famous actors.
But the story....... Really cheesy and very predictable.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #3823
handsome

Serenity and Mother (Madeo): both nothing special although the very first and last scene of Mother was beautiful, i need that song
Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #3824
The Quiet One

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Apart from two things ruining the movie: being lied to by the manager of my cinema who told me it was subtitled and in its original Swedish language, only to find out much too late that it was dubbed, and fumbling in the dark as I was trying to put the stud/bar back into my lip piercing, which typically decided to fall out... I enjoyed the movie.

It's pretty faithful to the novel and is an entertaining murder mystery thriller. Ideal for someone who enjoys thrillers such as The Silence of the Lambs. The bloody violence is probably on par with that movie, but it does contain some graphic sexual violence. The main protagonists make an interesting and unlikely couple/detective pair. And the goth computer hacker (the girl with the dragon tattoo, of course) - Lisbeth Salander - is the most mysterious and interesting of the pair.

Apart from the violence, the running time may put some people off as it clocks in at 2 and half hours. That running time does fly by, however, as you'll most likely be following the story closely to even notice. And to me a lot of content, although some of it is understandable, and character depth is missing from the novel. As a result I felt that there were a few plot holes and unanswered questions.

Either way, this was one of the more enjoyable, mature and intelligent movies I've seen this year. And will probably be the last, too.

On a side note, I was the only young and single person who went to see the movie. The rest consisted of eight middle/older-aged couples, which I found a bit funny. I'm such an old man. I wasn't surprised that not many people in my crappy town went to see it to be honest.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #3825

I've just finished watching Moon. Thoroughly unnerving from start to finish. Good times.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #3826
Random

Rio, 40 graus (Rio 40 Degrees) - 1954

Interesting movie, but it's very sad to know that the the social problems of my country still exactly the same as 55 years ago. What a shame...

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #3827
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

I watched "Shutter Island" last week. Great movie, Dicaprio was superb!
I also went to the cinemas and watched "The fantastic Mr. Fox". The visuals were original and really nice, and the voiceovers were great!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #3828
Stalker of Britain

I'm rewatching a beloved film, although I find it hard to classify it as a film or tv show. I'm going with movie. 10th Kingdom has always been a favorite of mine, and I always pull it out once a year around this time.

Anyone seen it?
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #3829
Psychonaut

I loved that series.

Maybe i'll go watch the DVD again.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #3830
Stalker of Britain

I loved it, too. From the lovable Wolf to the three trolls, it's a favorite. I'm glad to see someone else has seen it.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #3831
kamikaze hummingbirds

I saw it when it was first on in the UK.
Can't remember much of it though, except for Jimmy Nail was a troll and it reminded me of 'The Longest Journey' a bit (or vice versa, or converging, or whatever).
Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #3832
Stalker of Britain

Jimmy Nail was a goblin, not a troll. Sorry, couldn't resist. But yes, it's awesome. You should watch it again, Hammy.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #3833
The Major Grubert.

Alice in Wonderland, last night, in 3D (my first 3D experience). I loved the film and managed to duck at every tea cup thrown my way.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #3834
handsome

Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes and Broken Flowers. Love his work.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #3835

Oooo, didn't know this thread was here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I've just finished watching Moon. Thoroughly unnerving from start to finish. Good times.
Amazing film! Would recommend it to anyone. No idea why Sam Rockwell didn't get more mention for his performance, but that's the Oscars glitz and glamour for you -_-
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Agreed! Although I just recently watched Limits of Control and erm... not sure I'd recommend this one to too many people. But the above two, most certainly yes!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #3836
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Amazing film! Would recommend it to anyone. No idea why Sam Rockwell didn't get more mention for his performance, but that's the Oscars glitz and glamour for you -_-
yeah but didn't you found his performance a bit uneven? i mean he was outstanding as one of them thats for sure, but still
___

Code 46
Nothing more groovy than having Tim Robbins say portuguese stuff
Old 04-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #3837
Lazy Bee

I just watched Disturbia with my daughter.

Did not like it at all.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #3838
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I just watched Disturbia with my daughter.

Did not like it at all.
Hehe, me neither. I watched it last week.

Yesterday I watched Mary and Max. It's a clay animation movie based on a true story about a chubby, lonely 8 years old girl who lives in the suburbs of Melbourne, and a 44 years old Jewish man, who is severely obese, suffers from Asperger's syndrome, and lives an isolated life in New York City.

Awesome movie. Very sad... but brilliant. It looks like a children's tale, but definitely not for kids!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 04-25-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #3839
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

On your recommendation (and because you mentioned Asperger's Syndrome) I watched Mary and Max. I did find it incredibly offensive, but because it was so dramatic, original and well-animated I have to admit that (on its own terms) it is an excellent movie.

But please understand that this is not what Asperger's Syndrome is like, and that this movie is made by someone who does not understand Asperger's Syndrome. It is not a disability, it is not something you "suffer from", it doesn't mean that we're as downright stupid and ignorant as this character is, and it certainly doesn't mean we can't feel emotions. [sigh] I kind of wish normal people would quit telling stories about us. They're always so condescending.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #3840
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
My favorite director, I'd say

Ghost Dog is my favorite...