You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #3581

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
And i'm not a big fan of vampire movies so... thats impressive.
Or maybe that's the reason why you liked it
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #3582
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
What I didn't like about the movie was the lack of any reflection upon the ultimate nature of vampirism, the clash between humanity and bestiality, the struggle of soul longing for peace or forgiveness. I'm a swayed Anne Rice fan, after all , and a Vampire: The Masquerade player to boot.

If you liked American Beauty and Six Feet Under, as I did, you'd love True Blood!
That Lindqvist (who wrote Let the Right One In) was greatly inspired by Anne Rice is pretty obvious. The main difference is that Lindqvist mixes true realism with traditional horror elements where Rice do the opposite and writes extremely pompous about the traditional legend. Both are favourites of mine though.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #3583
The Quiet One

Quote:
I'm currently watching Let the Right One In, which in Italian goes under the title of Lasciami Entrare (= let me in)...

... OK, now I finished it. I'm underwhelmed and quite disappointed. While the film is not bad, I found that it lacked any real substance. I found an 'exterior' movie, who did something quite good (the representation of the beast inside the vampire, via sound effects mainly; the cinematography; the last shot which is simply genial), and something terrible (the writing; the pace; a direction that was undecided between gritty realism and magical surrealism).

All in all, I'd say 6 out 10, or maybe even 5.5
Shame you didn't enjoy it that much. I understand that this isn't a movie that everyone will appreciate/like. Personally, I absolutely love Let the Right One In. It's become one of my favourite films. I even went so far as to get a tattoo of Eli. As Roper Klacks said, the film is a breath of fresh air, especially compared to how stale the vampire genre is. I'm sick of all these mainstream/Hollywood vampire flicks, so this was just what I needed. Of course it did help that I read the novel first.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #3584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I'm sick of all these mainstream/Hollywood vampire flicks, so this was just what I needed. Of course it did help that I read the novel first.
Don't get me wrong. It had something interesting to it, and I'd choose it over the awful Twilight without the slightest doubt, but I'd choose Interview with the Vampire over Let the Right One In with even less doubt. Or Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula or, when it comes to TV, True Blood. I guess I like my vampires melancholic, decadent and tormented, like Louis
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #3585
The Quiet One

Quote:
I'd choose it over the awful Twilight without the slightest doubt
Well, that's certainly good to know at least.

Quote:
but I'd choose Interview with the Vampire over Let the Right One In with even less doubt. Or Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula or, when it comes to TV, True Blood. I guess I like my vampires melancholic, decadent and tormented, like Louis
See I'm completely the opposite there. Now, I like Interview with the Vampire and Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula just fine, but LTROI wins my vote if I had a choice over which one to watch. LTROI moved me more than those movies and haunted my mind for days, weeks and even months. Just couldn't stop thinking about it. The two child actors, especially Lina Leandersson who played Eli, were fantastic imo. Haunting and mesmerizing. To me, the acting in those 2 movies (except Gary Oldman of course) feels a bit wooden/campy. And although I did/do feel sorry for Louis, the characters in IWTV don't really grab me. They came off as a bit melodramatic.

Still, I can understand it if you like your vampires melancholic, decadent and tormented.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #3586
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
Moon was only on for 4 days at our cinema
Yeah why is that? It doesn't look like it's coming to German cinemas either, there is no DVD release, heck, there isn't even a screener or a camrip on any of the warezsites (I admit I looked). Is it super low budget and indie, or what's the deal here?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #3587

The Devil's Tomb starring Cuba Gooding Jr.

story was ok, acting was ok, ending was crappy.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #3588
Dungeon Master

Count me in as disappointed by Let the Right One In. The most overrated film of the last season for me. I didn't like the odd shifts in tone Andrea mentioned, and also how little was explained about what was actually going on. For example, apart from beatifully playing one, usually-neglected, part of vampire lore -- I mean, of course, the fact that they have to be invited -- the creators didn't really seem to care about what rules apply to these creatures in their story. Which in turn makes it hard to decide whether to fear Eli or to sympathise with her. (I don't mind the fact that the viewer has to make up his own mind. I am complaining that there wasn't nearly enough information to base either decision on.) On the plus side, I agree that both child actors were more than capable, if not exactly exceptional.

More recently I've seen Public Enemies, and boy what a letdown that was. So many talents wasted on a script where you could switch any two characters and nobody would notice, because none had any depth at all. I would give the creators the benefit of the doubt that their shallowness was part of a greater plan - namely demythologizing the gangsters and their era (rather than either villains or anti-heroes, they are presented as "normal" people who just happen to rob banks)... except random historical inaccuracies and succumbing to some of the most conventional conventions (a very movie-like love scene, a character correctly predicting he is going to die the same night, the melodramatic ending) seem completely at odds with that plan. There are three different screenwriters credited, which is not uncommon, but I can't help but wonder if there were a very conventional and a very subversive version of the story at different points in time, and the final screeplay ended up as (rather incohesive) melange of the two.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 AM   #3589
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Or maybe that's the reason why you liked it
I see what you did there

Quote:
As Roper Klacks said, the film is a breath of fresh air, especially compared to how stale the vampire genre is.
Hey I said that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Yeah why is that? It doesn't look like it's coming to German cinemas either, there is no DVD release, heck, there isn't even a screener or a camrip on any of the warezsites (I admit I looked). Is it super low budget and indie, or what's the deal here?
It's because very few are going to watch it. There were only 5 people in when we went to see it and let me tell you you could hear a pin drop in there such are the types of people who go to see indie films. Meanwhile...

In The Final Destination screen people are having their evening banquet, texting and talking with their partners...

Moon is an indie film that's relatively modest in its production compared to other sci-fi offerings. There's no obligatory excess so what is there is very well considered and relevant to the overall experience. It's a little gem.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #3590
The Quiet One

Quote:
Hey I said that
So you did. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #3591

DISTRICT 9

I saw District 9 last week at a neighborhood theater, and it was fantastic! It was one of the most original Science-Fiction movies I had ever seen. It was action-packed, pretty creepy, and very realistic. The aliens on the screen looked so real, you'd probably be surprised that they were all CG. The lead actor, Sharlton Copley, who I had never heard of before, plays a character that starts off as a gee-whiz kind of jerk, and then grows believably throughout the film because of nice character development.

Without spoiling anything, I will say that the movie starts off as sort of a Mockumentary (where they show it in documentary style, but it wasn't real) type film, and then turns into an intense action-thriller.

I definitely recommend it to anybody who enjoys Science-Fiction films. After that, I went to go see The Time Traveller's Wife. I watched it only because Rachel McAdams was in it. I thought it was mediocre, but cute at the same time. I liked the decent chemistry between her and Eric Bana. Only go see it if you like Romance films.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #3592
In an evening of July...

Yeah, I just saw District 9 as well. It was pretty good for today's sci-fi cinema, I'm glad it's doing well.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #3593
tsa
Playing character

I was bored and feeling down yesterday so I went to see a movie on my own. I hadn't done that since Jurassic Park, 150 years ago. I could choose between Millennium and Everlasting Moments. I eventually went to the latter. I didn't like it very much. That probably had something to do with my state of mind, but also a lot with the story and the way it was filmed. The colors were weird. They reflected the life of the protagonist in an artsy but annoying way: when life was bad for her, the movie had almost no colors and everything was in a sort of off-colour sepiar. The better the circumstances, the more color there would be. Artsy done but it annoyed me, because the settings were really beautiful and the lack of color destroyed a lot of the watching pleasure for me. Story-wise there wasn't much pleasure to be had either. From IMDB: "In a time of social change and unrest, war and poverty, a young working class woman, Maria, wins a camera in a lottery. The decision to keep it alters her whole life." In the movie, Maria turned out to be a natural talent with the camera. The story is set just before and during WWI, and life was tough on the family, with a father who was addicted to alcohol and sex, and the family growing bigger every year. For some reason the woman didn't leave her husband, although she had every reason to, for he had a way of destroying all the little pleasantries she had with her children by hitting them and her for no good reason when he was drunk. He also had a girlfriend, and he raped his wife once, which led to yet another child. But in the end, it was the father who made everything well. Just after he got back from prison(!) he borrowed a lot of money to start a new life. All the colors came back and I was glad to be allowed to finally go home.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #3594
I think with my heart

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard good things about that. As a fan of Alan Ball (I adore Six Feet Under and American Beauty) I'm very curious about it. I found Let the Right One In a breath of fresh air and an intriguing take on the (rather staid) vampire legend. I heard the book explained a lot more of the elements the film only hinted at.

Guys, I am totally with you. I am hooked to True Blood, I can't believe it's the second season's finale on Sunday.

I watched the entire SFU series in 2 weeks and DEXTER (because Michael C. Hall was in SFU and I felt empty after SFU was over; and everyone on IMDB keeps bringing up Dexter).

I wanted to see "Let the Right One in", everyone marvelled about, I'll tell you what I thought.

I will also start to watch "Generation Kill", also with Alexander Skarsgard (Eric on True Blood), so far I have a hard time understanding the Military language, but it makes it authentic, according to some military people on the IMDB board.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #3595
the midnight rambler

Generation Kill was mentioned by many of the military people who were disappointed with The Hurt Locker so I'm very curious about that too. The Hurt Locker just felt like a bad imitation, a cheap substitute for the reality.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #3596
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by martineargent View Post
HI buddy
I have seen this topic in many forums.Any way The movie I saw last is "The Taking Of Pelham 123".It is nice movie.
Actor:John travelta ,Washington denzapa
The trailer looked interesting, but when I did a bit of research on the movie, I found out it's another ruddy remake. So I checked out the original instead. Classic. I did the same thing with The Wicker Man and I'm so glad I did as the remake sucks.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #3597
Headbanger

Quote:
The trailer looked interesting, but when I did a bit of research on the movie, I found out it's another ruddy remake. So I checked out the original instead. Classic. I did the same thing with The Wicker Man and I'm so glad I did as the remake sucks.
The Wicker Man is a great movie and the remake is incredibly bad indeed. The same goes for The Pathfinder. Some times you wonder what the filmmakers were thinking about.

Apparently the director of the original Wicker Man is making a new movie in the same vein. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #3598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
The Wicker Man is a great movie and the remake is incredibly bad indeed.
Glad that I skipped it then. The original was indeed great.

Anyway, last movie seen: David Cronenberg's A History of Violence... David, you're always a wonderful director, but I miss the flesh, blood and insects - the amazing dirty aesthetics - from your first movies!

Old 09-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #3599
The Quiet One

Quote:
Yep. The original is eerie and atmospheric and because it's set in Scotland it has a unique quality. All of that, however, is completely sucked out of it in the remake.

You could always watch it just to laugh at how bad Nicolas Cage's acting is.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #3600
Headbanger

Quote:

Anyway, last movie seen: David Cronenberg's A History of Violence... David, you're always a wonderful director, but I miss the flesh, blood and insects - the amazing dirty aesthetics - from your first movies!
I love both his old and new movies. Also check out his latest (Eastern Promises) if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid
Yep. The original is eerie and atmospheric and because it's set in Scotland it has a unique quality. All of that, however, is completely sucked out of it in the remake.

You could always watch it just to laugh at how bad Nicolas Cage's acting is.
A group of heathen farmers worshiping the act of reproducing were replaced with feministic bee planters. Enough said.