You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #2781
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Sixth Sense
I'm not quite sure how I've managed to go this long without seeing any film by M Night Shyamalan. Interesting film, and a nice twist (even if my brother guessed it half way through the film).

Pan's Labyrinth
Ooh. Funky. I particularly like the evil Captain, and the story was a good'un. Shame about the slightly mixed special effects; some were really good, but others looked obviously stuck on. A very good film, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #2782
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Batman Forever

From Hell
Nice to see that I had exactly the same lazy evening in front of the TV as you did :~~~
Old 08-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #2783
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Heh .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #2784
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Watched:

Fahrenheit 451: It was pretty good.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #2785
The Major Grubert.

Hmmm, yeah. Haven't seen that in awhile. That reminds me, how's the remake coming?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360556/

Tom Hanks? As much as I love him, noooooooo! Not a good casting.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:08 AM   #2786

I just saw the movie 'music and lyrics'. I enjoyed it a lot, although it got horrible reviews here in Denmark when it was up in the theaters (or cinemas).
I liked it a lot. It it is a fine romantic comedy with great timing, witty dialogue, and Drew Berrymore shows in this one that she can act.

I also saw the movie 'the last kiss'. It was OK, but I didn't understand the ending.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:17 AM   #2787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Hmmm, yeah. Haven't seen that in awhile. That reminds me, how's the remake coming?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360556/

Tom Hanks? As much as I love him, noooooooo! Not a good casting.
Tom Hanks completely destroyed the War of the Worlds for me. It wasn't about an invasion from space, it was about a family father trying to get his family in safety before the invasion was successfull.

My bet is that the political themes of Ray Bradbury's books will be turned down, and the love interests in the book, if any, will be turned up quite a bit.
I'm sorry to be so harsh about ol' Tom, but I don't see him as the perfect man fighting for freedom...
Old 08-10-2007, 06:01 AM   #2788
Super Moderator

Tom Cruise was in War of the Worlds.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #2789
is not wierd

I saw Sunshine last night and wrote a review but lost the entire thing in a copy-pasting debacle. Fuck! I'll rewrite it in a few days, I guess.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #2790
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I saw Sunshine last night and wrote a review but lost the entire thing in a copy-pasting debacle. Fuck! I'll rewrite it in a few days, I guess.
Can you give us a short version for now? Like, oh I dunno, "I liked it" or "It was ok" or "I hated it" or "It was bloody f***ing brilliant!" You know, something to give us an idea. Because I'm thinking of going to see it, but two nights ago it was between that or Herzog's Rescue Dawn. Had to go with Herzog in that competition.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #2791
is not wierd

Lucky you I'm so bored at work today I decided to just rewrite it. But since there are possibly spoilers in the longer review, I'll just say that I like it but the last act is a meltdown.

Brief Review of 'Sunshine'
Possible spoilers.

The plot of Danny Boyle’s latest mostly revolves around (no pun intended) the consequences of one big giant decision made early in the movie by its centric character, Capa. He and seven others are in the space craft ICARUS II (and what do we call this? That's right, foreshadowing), strapped to the back of a solar bomb the size of Manhattan. The goal: launch it directly into the Sun, which is dying awfully early after being hit by a Q-ball, to kickstart it back into life and save the Earth from freezing over. I don’t know much about science, so I’ll avoid discourse on how plausible this premise is, but it does present an interesting dynamic. The Sun is both a thing of immense and unfathomable beauty, but it also represents everything dangerous about this mission. So while the characters on board are fascinated, intrigued by the star they have to save, they must also stay the hell away from it or suffer dire consequences. Anyways, so despite this fairly simple goal and already starting the movie with the right plan and the right technology, everything still manages to go wrong simply because of one decision (which is really the story more than the goal of saving Earth): board the mysteriously abandoned space craft (incidentally, the first ICARUS) sending distress signals or not? The dilemma here is that by altering their course slightly they would be detouring from the all-important mission at hand which has already been planned to perfection and executed flawlessly so long as they stick to that plan, but for the chance of possibly recovering a second payload. Of course they go for it, and from there on everything that happens is a consequence of that decision, resulting in decisions that further deviate from the original plan, and of course many sacrifices. All the while losing crewmembers to heroism, disgruntledness, the environment, and motor-powered knives that probably stab just as effectively as regular non-vibrating knives. In any event, it’s interesting seeing this part play out, as the theme seems to be that human judgment is always flawed. Plus, as with any Danny Boyle movie, we’re treated to some amazingly creative visuals and sets, intriguing music, and a tense atmosphere caused only by the big fucking star they’re headed to and their own imperfect technology.

Then in the third act this nosedives into a wholly different genre altogether. Flipping from the man vs. environment sci-fi tale of the first two thirds to a man vs. God-loving-psychopath horror movie, the atmosphere is basically crushed. Reminded me quite a bit of the last act of Danny Boyle’s own 28 Days Later, actually, in how awkwardly it transitions tone. I maybe the like the idea of it thematically, but somewhere along the way they failed to make it work. Had the afore-mentioned psychopath been fleshed out in the slightest, perhaps it would have felt a little better. Strangely, it’s both an affirmation of, and inversion of 2001: A Space Odyssey’s final themes, arguably the movie ‘Sunshine’ takes most of its inspiration from. Whereas in 2001 technology, or rather man’s pursuit of it, is the evil, in this technology is the savior and God, or rather man’s pursuit of it, the evil. In the end humans bring about their own downfall by tampering with things they probably shouldn’t and erroneous judgment.

But neverthless, this last act doesn’t sit well with the rest of the movie, where the Sun is both the enemy and the savior at the same time. The atmosphere is lost, and while it is tense, this tension is very different, in some ways cheaper. This doesn’t bring the whole movie down, though, thankfully, and I still love the simple sci-fi story of decisions and consequences enough, along with Danny Boyle’s incredible visuals and sounds.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #2792
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Can you give us a short version for now? Like, oh I dunno, "I liked it" or "It was ok" or "I hated it" or "It was bloody f***ing brilliant!" You know, something to give us an idea. Because I'm thinking of going to see it, but two nights ago it was between that or Herzog's Rescue Dawn. Had to go with Herzog in that competition.
How was Rescue Dawn?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #2793
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
I just saw the movie 'music and lyrics'.
I just watched that film tonight on Sky Box Office, I was a little distracted whilst watching it, but I found it to be quite enjoyable.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #2794
Elegantly copy+pasted

If you want to watch 2001, Solaris, Alien, Silent Running, Hypercube, Zardoz, and Event Horizon, but only have about two hours to spare, you can't go wrong with Sunshine. It is distractingly full of homages to classic and not-so-classic space movies.

It's also a film that is probably improved by spoilers. Like Fight Club, the plot takes a turn that may seem jarring. You just have to make your peace with it, and if you're expecting it it doesn't seem so bad.

Rescue Dawn is alright. Do you want to watch a whole movie about Christian Bale being really determined to survive the POW camps and jungles of Laos? If so, you will enjoy it.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #2795

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
If you want to watch 2001, Solaris, Alien, Silent Running, Hypercube, Zardoz, and Event Horizon, but only have about two hours to spare, you can't go wrong with Sunshine. It is distractingly full of homages to classic and not-so-classic space movies.
2001 and Solaris are two of my favorite movies, so I now I'm interested in seeing this.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #2796
The Major Grubert.

Match Point, by Woddy Allen. I totally don't understand the IMDb rating, because to me, this this is a total failure. Yes, the body of the film had excellent dialog and editing--Woody Allen style--but in the end, what a bore!

"Thriller"? Not. "Hitchcockian"? Um, no.

I give it 4 of 10
Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #2797
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hmmmmm, I watched yesterday to very interesting movies.

First our group watched The Mating Habits of an Earthbound Human.

Then the next movie crowned our night, the unbelievably awesome and hilarious YouTube legend movie Undefeatable starring Don Niam as Stingray and also Cynthia Rothrock and John Miller.

It simply has everything you could want in a movie. A curly mullet, horridly hilarious lines, so called actors hire straight from some local gym, SLOW MOTION martial arts with awesome close ups.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 08-10-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #2798
Friendly Server Admin

Stardust

Differed from the book a bit, but I think most of the cuts/changes were things that probably would have weighted down the movie a bit. Overall, I liked it a lot. I went in with sort of medium expectations, and it definitely surprised me. There's a surprising amount of humor from some of the supporting characters (Robert De Niro and Ricky Gervais, among others ) but not so much that it ruins the timing or pace.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #2799
is not wierd

Quote:
Match Point, by Woddy Allen. I totally don't understand the IMDb rating, because to me, this this is a total failure. Yes, the body of the film had excellent dialog and editing--Woody Allen style--but in the end, what a bore!

I give it 4 of 10
I don't know who would have said it's Hitchcockian but I think it's a very successful neo-noir thriller.

Oh, and yea. brisk nap's brief-brief review of Sunshine is about right. It's a sci-fi movie trying to emulate serious sci-fi movies and for the most works but takes a turn for the worse in the latter fourth or so. Gets a little too Event Horizon for its own good, although I admire what it was trying to do with the final act.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #2800

Quote:

I give it 4 of 10
Recently I posted my review about this, but unsure what to think at the time. I wouldn't say the ending was a bore, but it could have been handled better. I think overall it was a good movie.