You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #2801
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
How was Rescue Dawn?
Rescue Dawn was quite good. It has many of the themes Herzog has always explored, man vs. nature and such. Well worth seeing. For me his best is still Aguirre. Sorry, had to be brief...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #2802
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Road to Perdition
A reasonable movie, but the "Let's state the blindingly obvious" end monologue was terrible.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #2803
Lovable rogue

I just watched Y Tu Mamá También.

I enjoyed it, it was quite an interesting story, funny in places, and I found that the subtitles didn't detract too much. I wasn't fond of the way the narration was handled, it was mildly irritating to me.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #2804

Clerks 2 - when I saw this in theaters, I was laughing until it hurt. Seeing it a second time now, it's not that funny anymore.

Elf - amusing up to a point.

Last edited by lumi; 08-12-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #2805
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Watched:

A Boy And His Dog: Great movie and I loved the ending. I didn't expect that at all.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #2806
Super Moderator

Finding Nemo (again ) on the Disney Channel.

Oh man, I love this movie. ( I blubber like a baby when I watch it.)

Awwww, you made me ink.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #2807
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I too saw Finding Nemo just couple of days ago!

It was amazing, one of the best Pixar movies. So emotional and so much full of colour.

I also finally watched the last Pixar movie that I have not yet seen, A Bug's Life. It was definitely the weakest of all Pixar movies.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #2808
The Major Grubert.

Match Point: Interesting in places, frustrating in more, with a terrible ending. So much for this Woody Allen "thriller" <yawn>.

Ed Wood: while this isn't a favorite of mine from the principles involved, I quite liked it. Landau played a great Lagosi.

Unfortunately, I was following along with IMDb during the film and found that they played loose with history in the screenplay (fer instance, Tor Johnson was in the business for years before he worked for Wood--he wasn't discovered at a wrestling match).
Old 08-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #2809
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I just watched Y Tu Mamá También.

I enjoyed it, it was quite an interesting story, funny in places, and I found that the subtitles didn't detract too much. I wasn't fond of the way the narration was handled, it was mildly irritating to me.
How do you mean, exactly? I thought the narration was essential for the movie.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #2810
delusions of adequacy

Sicko.

I'm not sure why this got a cinematic release anywhere other than the US, and even there hmo horror stories is nothing new. MM himself has covered it before on a smaller budget and with more venom and passion.

So much of this felt like going through the motions, I especially found the 9/11 stuff grotesque (dragging those guys around cuba esp.) I can't be the only one shuddering when Moore tried to put 9/11 and WW2 England on equal footing.

Kudos to the french, english and even ex-pat americans in the film for putting up with Moore at their table or worse, in their homes. He is such a sour puss, nearly every shot he looks ill or unhappy to be making the film. Even when he hi5s the french housecall doctor.

Its worth it if only to see the poor bankrupt parents, suffering multiple heart attacks (dad) and cancer (mom), and having just lost their house and being reduced to moving into their daughter's cramped study. Which she refuses to give over to them completely (they're allowed one dresser between the pair of them and the computer etc must stay in the cramped dingy room that won't fit a double bed)... within minutes of arriving, take with good humor verbal abuse from their son about how their continued existence might finacially burden him and his 5, well educated, healthy adult siblings!

The HMOs hardly seem like villains after seeing that, and you can't help but groan every time Moore asks why/how the US got/deserves its current system when he's filmed the answer in the first 8 minutes.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #2811
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
How do you mean, exactly? I thought the narration was essential for the movie.
It was the implementation mostly that I disliked. The film would suddenly go silent, there would be a pause, then the narrator would say his piece, and the film would continue. Perhaps because I wasn't listening to the speech, and only paying attention to the ambient noises and music, that I noticed their absence more, but I just found it annoying. It seemed to break up the continuity, and I felt it could have been integrated better. Also, some parts of the narration seemed a little lengthy, due to the inclusion of unnecessary information.
Spoiler:
e.g. the part about the car crash that happened two years prior and the dead chickens etc.

It's not that I'm fundamentally against narration or anything, and I agree that a lot of details pertinent to the story were revealed in it, I just felt it could have been done better in this instance.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #2812
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Walk the Line
I'm not sure how fictionalised this was, and I thought that Cash's first wife got a particularly raw deal out of it (particularly since she just disappeared towards the end of the film). That said, 'twas nicely filmed, and the singing was reasonable. Worth watching.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 AM   #2813
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I watched Scoop two days ago.

Interesting movie, I think it's the first Woody Allen movie that I've seen and it was a good one.

Good lead actor and actress choices, maybe Woody took a little too big role for himself, but he was ok. Scarlett Johansson and Hugh Jackman were almost perfect for their roles.

Ian "Lovejoy" McShane was hilarious as the ghost reporter.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #2814
In an evening of July...

Scarface

GTA, the movie. Didn't like it - cocaine, guns and politics are not my kind of thing. Also, I don't see why it deserves a 8.1 rating at imdb.com.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #2815
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Scarface

GTA, the movie. Didn't like it - cocaine, guns and politics are not my kind of thing. Also, I don't see why it deserves a 8.1 rating at imdb.com.
If you look at their top 250 you can see why nobody gives a shit about their top 250 (or their ratings).
Old 08-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #2816
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
It was the implementation mostly that I disliked. The film would suddenly go silent, there would be a pause, then the narrator would say his piece, and the film would continue. Perhaps because I wasn't listening to the speech, and only paying attention to the ambient noises and music, that I noticed their absence more, but I just found it annoying. It seemed to break up the continuity, and I felt it could have been integrated better. Also, some parts of the narration seemed a little lengthy, due to the inclusion of unnecessary information.
Spoiler:
e.g. the part about the car crash that happened two years prior and the dead chickens etc.

It's not that I'm fundamentally against narration or anything, and I agree that a lot of details pertinent to the story were revealed in it, I just felt it could have been done better in this instance.
It's not that though, that I thought the narration was essential. As all narrators do, it represents a god-figure that knows everything about everyone. One of the big themes of the movie was the separation of social strata. Tenoch was wealthy and Julio was middle class, and Luisa seems pretty well off, as well. As they ride around locked away in their car they drive by all sorts of examples of a failing economy, beggars and protesters and poor villages, etc., but aren't really affected by it as they're caught up in their rather childish pursuits of sex (with Luisa and each other). Because the story itself is rather disconnected from all this, we have the narrator, who is disconnected from the story, able to tell us everything going on not only in the lives of the characters but everything else as well, thus making everything equal.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #2817
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Scarface

As Spiwaksie points out, the IMDb ratings aren't perfect. Few people who are NOT into the genre will go up and give their dissenting vote. Did you?

Scarface had everything going for it, even if you don't like the genre. It had direction, screenplay, dialog, talent, action, suspense, photo direction--so many things about this film were done so well.

And you don't have to be into "cocaine, guns and politics" to be affected by the film. The point is that you're being immersed into a world that's alien to you--did that not happen to you, or did you just not like where you were taken?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #2818
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
As Spiwaksie points out, the IMDb ratings aren't perfect. Few people who are NOT into the genre will go up and give their dissenting vote. Did you?

Scarface had everything going for it, even if you don't like the genre. It had direction, screenplay, dialog, talent, action, suspense, photo direction--so many things about this film were done so well.

And you don't have to be into "cocaine, guns and politics" to be affected by the film. The point is that you're being immersed into a world that's alien to you--did that not happen to you, or did you just not like where you were taken?
No, I didn't rate Scarface on imdb - but maybe I should have.

Yes, maybe I didn't like the movie for it's genre, I don't know. I am preoccupied towards gangster films, I guess - I wasn't too amazed by Reservoir Dogs either (Godfather on the other hand I liked). I am not a good film reviewer, I first judge a movie by the my stomach feelings, and for me Scarface only caused boredom and the strong sensation of "been there, seen that", maybe because of GTA, which I didn't like either. I couldn't wait until the movie was over. Direction? Yeah, maybe. Great screenplay? Allright. Talent? Al Pacino, check.

Suspension? Meh. The story development was so obvious I may as well have read the plot in advance. Immersion into an alien world? Well, I felt like I have been taken there and back again too many times. It wasn't alien, and I strongly believe it wasn't a realistic depiction of this particular world either. It doesn't need to be, yes, but this cliche of a movie was too much for me to take.

Also,Scarface may be good from a movie critic perspective, a milestone in it's genre etc. but I'll remember it as a mediocre action movie with Al Pacino.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:40 AM   #2819

Quote:
Also,Scarface may be good from a movie critic perspective, a milestone in it's genre etc. but I'll remember it as a mediocre action movie with Al Pacino.
I've heard people describe it as a badass gangster movie, and you consider it an action movie, but I saw it as a sad drama. It was about the rise and downfall of a man, and the drugs and gangster aspect were more secondary.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #2820
is not wierd

I also think Scarface is overrated.