You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #781
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I just watched SAW there and was suprised by how much story there was in it.

Has anyone seen the second? is it as good? And does it have anyone from this one?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I just watched SAW there and was suprised by how much story there was in it.

Has anyone seen the second? is it as good? And does it have anyone from this one?
SAW II is nowhere near as creepy/'atmospheric' as the first one, in that sense it definately falls into the "milk that cow" category. It does have a few twists and turns, but they're nowhere near as surprising/interesting as the first film. I got the feeling it was made with the masochistic horror film fanboy in mind, all "ewww" and no suspense. Also, I'm pretty sure there's going to be a third one, since it features thesame open ending as the first.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #783
gin soaked boy

Just finished watching Last Night, and my god, what a terrific movie! It's about the last night before the end of the world and the ways different people deal with the imminent apocalypse. A beautiful, intimate little film, quite funny at times and very quotable ("I wanted to die a man with three cars." ).

Yesterday I finally saw Lightning Bug. I have no idea why I often see it listed as a horror movie when it's obviously a pure drama. Granted, it's a homage to people who make horror movies possible and some characters are real monsters, but I'd never call it that. Anyway, it's not as great as I hoped it would be, but still way above average (I'd give it 7, maybe 8 out of 10) and it's obvious the director Robert Hall, a make-up artist himself, put a lot of heart into it.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #784

Just saw The War Within. Pretty good movie! It's comparable to Paradise Now (which I've yet to see) as far as the theme goes, though it's about terrorism in New York instead of Tel Aviv. The first ten seconds of the film really grabbed me by the balls and glued me to my seat. The protagonist is grabbed off the streets of Paris by (presumably) the CIA and transported to one of those secret prisons, where he's tortured and interrogated for 3 years about his brother, who was killed in a peaceful protest in Pakistan. After his release he is smuggled to the US with intent to take part in a terrorist bombing. The interesting thing is he's a moderate muslim before the prison, and comes out an extremist, I think that's where it differs with Paradise Now. I'm even more curious about Paradise Now after seeing this.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #785
gin soaked boy

Watched two films today, I'm Not Scared and Demonlover.

I'm Not Scared is not that bad, but it's very slow, even boring, and becomes quite predictable after you find out who the kid under the ground is. Some fine child actors and absolutely stunning cinematography make it worth watching, though.

Demonlover is one of those movies that try so hard to be about many different things, but end up being about nothing in particular. Pretentious as it is, it wants to be clever, but fails; it wants to be shocking, but fails; it wants to be confusing, but... Well, it succeeds in that one, but it's not exactly a good thing, is it?

After watching Demonlover, I feel like I've chewed on a completely tasteless piece of food for almost two hours. I'd say it's an artsy piece of crap with no saving graces whatsoever, but then there's this scene in which Chloe Sevigny plays Bungie's Oni naked.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #786
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
SAW II is nowhere near as creepy/'atmospheric' as the first one, in that sense it definately falls into the "milk that cow" category. It does have a few twists and turns, but they're nowhere near as surprising/interesting as the first film. I got the feeling it was made with the masochistic horror film fanboy in mind, all "ewww" and no suspense. Also, I'm pretty sure there's going to be a third one, since it features thesame open ending as the first.
I just found out James Wan didnt direct the second but it looks like Leigh Wannell still wrote both.

But apparently they are both getting together again to make a movie called Silence ...I cant help but think of SH2 when I read about that
Old 02-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I just found out James Wan didnt direct the second but it looks like Leigh Wannell still wrote both.

But apparently they are both getting together again to make a movie called Silence ...I cant help but think of SH2 when I read about that
No he didn't, a shame too, even though I didn't think anyone could save that screenplay. Leigh Wannell should definately stick to writing, too, as his acting is, well, not that good. Looking forward to Silence though;

Quote:
The film tells the story of Jamie Ashen, a man who has had the finger pointed at him by those that feel he had to something to do with his wife's murder. Ashen knows the truth - his wife received a strange ventriloquist's dummy and it's what caused her death. Ashen returns to the scene of the crime, the town of Raven's Fair, and encounters Mary Shaw, a wronged and abused ventriloquist who now supposedly haunts the town, cutting out her victims' tongues and stealing their voices in vengeance for her own loveless past.Swept up in destructive supernatural forces beyond his control, Jamie is determined to get to the heart of the matter - whatever the cost.
Title sounds like Silent Hill but the premise doesn't, luckily. Ventriloquist horror, sounds promising
Old 02-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #788

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I just watched Crash. If you haven't seen it yet, it is an unbelievably good movie. Best Picture of the Year material without a doubt. Seriously, go out and rent it now. I'm just speechless.

FILM SYNOPSIS

The lives of a diverse group of people living in Los Angeles connect and clash over the course of two days. As a series of events unfolds that will heighten already-existing racial and cultural tensions, individuals are brought face to face with complexities that their prejudices have prevented them from seeing.

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_...ash/large.html
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #789
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Why is that?

In fact, I found In the Mood for Love far better than Days of Being Wild (which was also really good, mind you), plus 2046 is a kind of answer to In the Mood for Love.
A little late I guess, but anyway. In the Mood for Love seems to me like the least unique of Wong's films (though, running neck and neck with As Tears Go By) and the only one really that can be accussed of indulging exoticism or Orientalism. It's also a lot more accessible and straightforward then either 2046 or days of Being Wild. I found 2046 to be far more of an answer to Days of Being Wild; the structure, the voiceover, the playboy gambler, the focus on several characters, the return of Carina Lau's character, reuses of music from Days of Being Wild and other things I can't quite remember right now all point to Days of Being Wild for me. In truth, 2046 has a lot to do with both movies, but to me seems alot more at home beside Days of Being Wild. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Days of Being Wild because it was the first Wong feature I saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I just watched Crash.
On Crash, I remember the trailer being one of the most repulsive I've seen in recent memory, and that synsopsis makes me gag. Important films dealing with issues are a plague, and we all need to do our part to wipe them out.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #790

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
On Crash, I remember the trailer being one of the most repulsive I've seen in recent memory, and that synsopsis makes me gag. Important films dealing with issues are a plague, and we all need to do our part to wipe them out.
The synopsis doesn't sound very good, but you really have to give it a chance. I thought the movie was extremely well made. It doesn't necessary deal with the issues, it mainly tells you that they are there. It's not afraid to show the truth in the world.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #791

Quote:
On Crash, I remember the trailer being one of the most repulsive I've seen in recent memory, and that synsopsis makes me gag.
You're basing your entire judgement of this film solely on the trailer? Seriously, when have trailers EVER been a good indication of a movie? The synopsis may sound a bit uninteresting, but the film itself it pretty damn good! Here's a somewhat better 'synopsis'; Racism-themed Magnolia on steroids
Quote:
Important films dealing with issues are a plague, and we all need to do our part to wipe them out.
I realise you're being sarcastic here, but just in case you aren't, shame on you sir! Films aren't just about pure escapism or entertainment, some feed people's concious and subconcious minds with food for thought. Recent example: Brokeback Mountain or Paradise Now/The War Within. While Brokeback might just be a love story for some, it serves as an eye-opener for others. Paradise Now and The War Within give us a glimpse into a controversial subject, and might just change our perception of it.

Crash succeeds extremely well in showing how prejudice is still very much alive in today's society, and how it controls people's interactions without them even realising it. Go see it, you won't regret it, if you do, I'll pay you your ticket back, promise
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #792
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I'm off to see Big Mommas House 2 in a few hours.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #793
Psychonaut

Watched "The Corpse Bride" the other day.

Not as satisfying as "Nightmare before Xmas" or "Wallace and Gromit", but still a fantastic stop motion movie from Tim Burton.

Loved the contrast of the grey and boring Land of the Living with the bright and fun Land of the Dead.

Worth Watching.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #794
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
I'm off to see Big Mommas House 2 in a few hours.
ROFLMAO

You are
Old 02-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #795
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #796
Epinionated.

I saw Walk The Line, Red Eye, Wedding Crashers and Hitch on the plane over from Japan.

Walk The Line - reasonable biopic, Jouqain Phoenix is a real talent, not much power in the story unfortunately so it feels like a retread of about a billion other off-the-rails singer stories. Very hard to like Cash as a youngster after watching it.

Red Eye - Strange choice of movie for a flight, I know, but it was OK. Cillian Murphy is the only real reason to watch it, unless you're a red blooded male, in which case Rachel McAdam's adds double the fun. Not enough tension in a movie all about tension... which is odd. Thankfully Mr Murphy pulls off a convincing psycho so it rolls along gently. (Gently not being a great thing in a thriller)

Wedding Crashers - Hilarious.

Hitch - suprisingly funnier and kinda Nora Ephron-y. Witty script, some good comic performances, reasonable but cheesy morales, Rachel McAdams. Better than it should be.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #797
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Watched "The Corpse Bride" the other day.

Not as satisfying as "Nightmare before Xmas" or "Wallace and Gromit", but still a fantastic stop motion movie from Tim Burton.

Loved the contrast of the grey and boring Land of the Living with the bright and fun Land of the Dead.

Worth Watching.
I really want to see it. For the freshman vet student's lab intro the other day, they got to see a clip of the Corpse Bride where the skeleton's eye fell into the guy's soup which prompted the question - 'What muscles need to be cut for that to happen?' They had done that the previous lab. We vets need to get out more.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #798
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I really want to see it. For the freshman vet student's lab intro the other day, they got to see a clip of the Corpse Bride where the skeleton's eye fell into the guy's soup which prompted the question - 'What muscles need to be cut for that to happen?' They had done that the previous lab. We vets need to get out more.

LOL.

I hope someone pointed out that the skeleton in question had no muscles
Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #799
Super Moderator

True They did ask if they could just watch the movie and forget going to the lab to dissect.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #800

Saw Brokeback Mountain for the second time last night. I watched it alone and there wasn't a lot of people at the theater watching it. The movie now ranks near the top of my all time favorite list. Was even better the second time. It already is a huge success and likely to win the Best Pic at the Oscars but I still wish more people would watch it. What agreat emotional movie.