You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #2041
Psychonaut

The Last King of Scotland

It's the 70's and a young cocky, niave and newly qualified Doctor heads to Uganda to help the poor and have some fun and adventure along the way.

He arrives just as a coup takes place.

Starts off working in a poor medical clinic, but after he meets the charasmatic new president of Uganda after an accident he gets the offer to be his new personal physician.

Problem is the new president is Idi Amin, despot dictator and mass murderer of 300,000 Ugandans.

It's an excellent film which is part documentary about Amin and part made up thriller about the Doctor. It seems to sit well together by some outstanding acting performances.

Forest Whitaker in particular is blindingly good as Amin, in turns charming and extremely likeable and at time barking mad and psychotic.

Well worth seeing and an Oscar for Mr Whitaker please.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #2042
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Welcome aboard.
OK, but Wild at Heart isn't really a bandwagon film. It's a wildly polarizing film is what it is. Sure it won the palme d'Or that year, but critics seemed to roundly pan this film, Ebert in the lead with accusations of racism, cowardly violence, and misogynism. Frankly, I didn't see it at all. You'd have to be offended from the very start to feel that way about the movie (I guess it's easy enough since the movie opens with a brutal murder). Anyway, additionally, I know a lot of Lynch fans too that think it's minor Lynch, even a misstep for him.

Bottom line though: I thought it was great and I'm glad you think it's great too.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #2043
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Children of Men

Saw it with my lady friend.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #2044

Send a message via AIM to guyver1 Send a message via Yahoo to guyver1
Default I just watched crank

it was good,and maybe this week I was going to go see that one primevil that looks scary i was going to ask my friend ryan to see if he wanted to go this weekend and since we are on the subject of movies do you guys think i should go see smokin aces cause i really can't tell if I want to see it or not I never had this problem before so you guys tell me what I should do cause I can't make up my mind.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #2045
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

The Professional
Old 01-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #2046
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw Children of Men this past week. Interesting film, definitely a grim one, though. The kind of film that generates discussion when it ends.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #2047

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
The Professional
Do you know which version you saw? The original version released in America had parts cut out that make the movie better.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #2048
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe View Post
Do you know which version you saw? The original version released in America had parts cut out that make the movie better.
Probably saw the original American version, what parts were cut out and I'll tell you for sure. I've been looking for this movie for a while and bought it the first chance I got.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #2049

One cut scene had Mathilda playing Russian Roulette, and it also wouldn't have shown her joining Leon on some of his hits.

The version I have says it's the uncut international version with 24 minutes more footage, making it 133 min long.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #2050
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe View Post
One cut scene had Mathilda playing Russian Roulette, and it also wouldn't have shown her joining Leon on some of his hits.

The version I have says it's the uncut international version with 24 minutes more footage, making it 133 min long.
Damn it, I hate when I find out that a movie has an uncut edition. I guess I'll go look for that one now, and then give the one I have now to my friend.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #2051
merely human

Just finished it.

Damn, Meryl Streep simply must receive an Oscar nomination.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #2052
The Major Grubert.

Last night, I saw an early Anthony Hopkins film that I've been looking for quite some time, something I saw when I was a teen. It's a poor print of an old made for TV drama/murder/suspense, but it's good to see it after so many years and quite worth the effort:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089239/

Speck
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM   #2053
Blatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Last night, I saw an early Anthony Hopkins film that I've been looking for quite some time, something I saw when I was a teen.
Looks good, Speck! Uh, you were a teen in 1985, or was there an original version made earlier than '85?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #2054
DAVE

I just finished watching The Insider, by Michael Mann. At 2h30 this movie keeps you going, you won't feel bored because of this powerful story and even more powerful acting.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #2055
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Looks good, Speck! Uh, you were a teen in 1985, or was there an original version made earlier than '85?
Wow, you're right. I was 29 in '85. Huh.

Speaking of how time changes your memory, I watched Carnal Knowledge just last night, first time since I first saw it (and I was a teen when it came out, but I can't remember when I saw it--see? More senior moments). Anyway, there were several scenes that I remembered way differently than what I saw last night.

(Note: the Guilty Conscious print on the DVD was really poor, like it was made from an old video tape reel.)
Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #2056

Saw "Alpha Dog" - a great movie!

Old 01-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #2057
The Punisher

Primeval - Never letting my friend talk me into going to see another movie again...from now on we either agree or I pick.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #2058
Psychonaut

Goonies was on the TV.

Fantastic.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #2059
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I watched Grudge 2 and Crank today. Very interesting movies.

I didn't like Grudge 2 that much, the original Americanized version was better, perhaps because of SMG.
Crank was totally awesome and unreal action movie. Jason Statham is the new cheap action hero #1 of our times.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #2060
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Goonies was on the TV.

Fantastic.
This is going to make me lose any street cred I may have had, but I've never seen this movie.

I'm not sure why. I should probably rememdy that at some point in my life.

Glad you had fun reveling in 80's memories (this and Metallica ).