You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #3041
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Finding Nemo
I was originally going to watch Monsters Inc, but then I found out that the version in my Pixar collection boxset has been cropped to a 4:3 aspect ratio (way to lie on the box, Disney ), so I left that one for today. Finding Nemo is good fun, and genuinely funny. Great stuff.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #3042
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Emperor's New Groove
Perhaps not as funny as it thinks it is, but still an amusing and entertaining Disney film. Good stuff.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #3043
Backsliding Pagan

Just saw a documentary, "Girls Rock," about a girls rock'n'roll camp in Oregon. It was terrifying and lovely.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #3044
Headbanger

The Last Winter

Interesting movie (since it presents a real environment problem) but not as good as I had hoped. Although it really had its moments (too few of them though).
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #3045
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Watched:

Horrors of War: The combining of the super-natural with WWII. It was alright for a low budget flick. Not as bad as I was lead it to be.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #3046
capsized.

Just popped in cuz I've been wondering if anybody of you has seen the Chipmunks® movie and if so.. well... ALVIN? SIMON? THEODORE?!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #3047
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I loved the show, but I doubt the movie will be any good.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #3048

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Aladdin
Aside from that carpet ride song, which I ceased to be a fan of once it became a song beloved of six-year-old girls at school concerts, this is a great Disney film. And the R1 DVD transfer seemed reasonable. Good stuff.
Having never suffered through a school concert rendition I actually quite like that song. Aladdin is definitely one of my favourite Disney films. My favourite one is probably Beauty & the Beast, though I love Lion King as well.

I recently watched The Little Mermaid for the first time in many years and I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I remember doing before. "Part of your world" is a really nice song. Didn't much enjoy Peter Pan on recent viewing. Some nice animation, but the story was way too sacharine. I suppose that's true of Bambi as well to some extent, but I don't know if it was the genius animation or something else but that one I could comfortably sit through.

I wonder if I'd like Fantasia if I saw it now. I remember as a kid being very disappointed that the whole film wasn't about Mickey doing magic with broomsticks and got very bored.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #3049
Lovable rogue

I just watched Sunshine.

The synopsis made it sound interesting enough, but upon viewing I found it to be derivative, and lacking in plot.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #3050
Lovable rogue

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I just watched this film, and I rather enjoyed it. I seem to recall critics being rather harsh on it upon its release, but I've viewed the first two films, and I found this to be a fitting end to the trilogy.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #3051
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Sleeping Beauty is a lousy movie through and through. The three main characters (Princess Aurora, Prince Philip, Maleficent) are possibly the most boring characters ever to appear in a Disney movie. This might not be such a big problem if the plot were wonderful, but there's almost no plot to speak of! The music might have been nice in the ballet, but when you pair it with such forgettable lyrics it makes it very hard to listen to. The animation for the human characters is all stiff and joyless, to such an extent that it reminds me of rotoscoping. The backgrounds look dead, with ridiculous amounts of people who don't actually move or make any indication that they're more than paint. The character designs are unappealing. The movie has only one entertaining element, and that is a running gag where one fairy likes pink and the other likes blue. I was very disappointed by this movie.

Last edited by MoriartyL; 12-16-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: I said the character designs were "generic", which isn't really true.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #3052
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Ocean's 13

Certainly in style with the rest of the movies. The movie is nothing if not fitting to the first two; the cool guys (Clooney and Pitt) outwit the evil, petty bad guy, with the help or hindrance of the absent-minded and bumbling good guys/bad guys, which comprises... everyone else in the movie. Not as good as the first one, better than the second. At least in the first one, there was action.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #3053
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I saw yesterday La vita e bella for the first time in my life.

Amazing movie, Roberto Benigni is a genious.

Tonight I watched a movie that was very familiar to me in my childhood, Point Break.

I really like Patrick Swayze's old movies. Even if this one is "a little bit" cheesy.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 AM   #3054
Life and times of...

I finally watched Mulholland Drive yesterday.

What a movie! It's just incredibly powerful, and man what an atmosphere all the way through. Of course being directed by David Lynch I'm going to have to watch it again and then probably go find his comments to actually find out half of what's going on (well, what everything means perhaps), but... I just don't really know what to say. I was afraid it would be more like Blue Velvet (which certainly wasn't a bad movie, the very opposite) but it indeed is quite reminiscent of Twin Peaks (it's been said that it has the most resemblance to Twin Peaks of all his other works). Really one of the best movies I've seen. At least recently

You just gotta wonder how Lynch makes up all this.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #3055
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Tonight I watched a movie that was very familiar to me in my childhood, Point Break.

I really like Patrick Swayze's old movies. Even if this one is "a little bit" cheesy.
That one is an old childhood favourite for me too. I haven't seen it in a while though.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #3056
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Brother Bear
Rather mediocre, really. Some nice bits, but too much entirely forgettable stuff.

That said, the Phil Collins songs were much better in this than in Tarzan.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #3057
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Well, since you brought it up:

Brother Bear
Excellent direction in the service of a bad story. The computer graphics let the animators do anything they like, while retaining the charm of the hand-drawn pictures. This is one really pretty movie. But as I said, it's a bad story. So, bad movie.

Home on the Range
Very good movie! Fun, fun, fun. Fun characters, fun plot, fun songs, fun animation. I wish I were ten years younger so I'd have an excuse to watch it over and over.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #3058
Lovable rogue

I watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang today.

For years I've had memories of it being one of my favourite childhood films, and I purchased the collectors edition DVD about three years ago, but never watched it as the time just didn't feel right.

When I watched it today, it was like watching it for the first time as it was so unfamiliar, but I enjoyed it. It was a fun film, even with Dick Van Dyke's out of place American accent, lol.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #3059
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I just watched this film, and I rather enjoyed it. I seem to recall critics being rather harsh on it upon its release, but I've viewed the first two films, and I found this to be a fitting end to the trilogy.
I watched it the other night and... I think I need to watch #2 followed closely by #3. It's been awhile since #2 and I'm not all that clear how Sparrow is not in Davey Jones Locker anymore.

Can anyone clarify?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #3060

It's all answered in the third movie.
Spoiler:
The crew goes to find him, and then bring him back by flipping the ship over.

Last edited by Melanie68; 12-22-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags