You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #1841
Psychonaut

Stranger than Fiction

Once again a funny man tries a straight movie in a Kaufman-esque story that blurs reality and fiction. Jim Carrey has successfully done it more than once in Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine and now it's the turn of WIll Ferrell.

Will's character Harold Crick is an IRS auditor who is as boring as his job. Has a strict routine to his day, no real friends and no life.

Then one day he starts to hear an English woman narrating his life as he says it's "About me. Accurately... and with a better vocabulary." When the voice says he is going to die. Harolds life and routine is thrown asunder.

Kay Effiel (Emma Thomson) is a writer of Tradgedies who has writers block and can't seem to kill off the character in her first novel in 10 years.

Harold Crick is that character.

A good movie about the nature of reality.

I enjoyed it although I did have a couple of problems. I didn't completely get the romance part. I know why he would fall for the rebellious baker character, but I didn't quite buy that she falls for him.

I also wasn't sure about the ending. It was a good ending, but maybe it should have stuck with the original ending. The self sacrificing in the name of art ending.

But overall I really enjoyed it and hope Will Ferrell does more of this stuff and less Bewitched.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #1842
Citizen of Bizarro World

Scoop was great.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #1843
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Stranger than Fiction

I also wasn't sure about the ending. It was a good ending, but maybe it should have stuck with the original ending. The self sacrificing in the name of art ending.
Was this a book or play originally?

Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #1844
Citizen of Bizarro World

The movie has alternate endings, both of which were shown in the theatrical release.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #1845
Super Moderator

Ah! Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #1846
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Saw The Fountain and liked it quite a bit. All the critics' reviews are the same, and I guess I just feel like everyone needs to give this one a chance with an open mind. Aronofsky is not a director to blow off.

Not to say that this one isn't without its flaws. It's not always an enjoyable movie since the tone is pretty singular throughout. But it's one worth seeing just because I don't think anyone quite has their finger on this film. We'll see what people think of it 15-20 years down the line.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #1847
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw Turistas yesterday. It was okay, but much of it came off as a ripoff of Hostel. Also, the ending is rather anticlimactic...it just...ends. It was okay, though. Certainly not the WORST horror film I've seen in a theatre this year. *cough* Pulse *cough*
Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #1848

Black Books
First and Second season.
10/10 English comedy.
Best sitcom what i have ever seen.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #1849
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Blazing Saddles

I am not a Mel Brooks fan. I think that The Producers (the film, not the musical) is one of the least funny "comedies" that I've ever had the (dis-)pleasure to sit through - a criminal waste of a really clever central idea - and I got sick enough of Spaceballs to give up watching before the end.

That said, I quite like Blazing Saddles. It's not nearly as funny as it so obviously thinks that it is, but there's enough stuff that hits for it to be a satisfying 90 minutes. Mel Brooks' best, then. Aside from the musical version of The Producers (I don't know about the film version of the musical, mind you).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #1850
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Borat

I liked the movie, really funny! I can´t understand how he can pull of those things and not start laughing himself!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #1851
Citizen of Bizarro World

I think I'd rather cry if
Spoiler:
I had a fat nekkid dude spread his ass over my face.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #1852
OUATIJ Creator

Apocalypto

Still trying to gather my thoughts about it. I have mixed feelings at this point. It was very entertaining, and had some great moments. I could definitely watch it again. However, I wanted an accurate portrayal of the Mayan civilization, and Gibson doesn't provide that.

The Mayans in this film do not appear to care about anything but bloodshed and speaking in tongues to the gods as they gyrate around. These do not appear to be the Mayans that could have built such grand cities or come up with such an accurate calendar. Also, these Mayans appear to be shocked about an eclipse at one point, but the real Mayans would have known an eclipse was coming. Additionally, the ending of the film lets us know that we are viewing the year 1517, long after the classic Mayan civilization had already fallen.

There are far too many liberties taken with history in this movie to see it as anything other than a work of complete fiction. Looking at it like that, however, it's a nicely crafted piece of work. Having watched ROME Season 1 on DVD again recently, I suppose I was expecting something equally great on the big screen about another ancient civilization. Unfortunately, Apocalypto won't replace ROME, but it's worth seeing.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 12-10-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #1853

Send a message via AIM to guyver1 Send a message via Yahoo to guyver1

I just saw the movie Miami Vice good movie watched it yesterday it kindof reminded me of swat which is also a good movie
Old 12-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #1854
The Impostor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Apocalypto
There are far too many liberties taken with history in this movie to see it as anything other than a work of complete fiction.
And here was me thinking the genius behind Braveheart and the theory that the Jews instigated every single war since the dawn of time was the go-to guy for historical accuracy.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #1855
is not wierd

You forgot The Patriot.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #1856
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump View Post
And here was me thinking the genius behind Braveheart and the theory that the Jews instigated every single war since the dawn of time was the go-to guy for historical accuracy.
Now, now... Many celebrities have made mistakes, and some are even worth despising, but does this mean we should criticize their work without giving it a chance first? I mean, Woody Allen still makes the occasional good film, and he married his stepdaughter. Roman Polanski makes wonderful films like The Pianist, but he sexually molested a child. I try not to judge the creator so much as the work itself, and I can respect an artist for his work even if he has done questionable (or even downright harmful) things. Of course, you can do as you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
You forgot The Patriot.
That wasn't Gibson. The "genius" behind The Patriot was Roland Emmerich, director of such classics as Universal Soldier, ID4: Independence Day, and the 1998 Hollywood version of Godzilla.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 12-08-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #1857
is not wierd

I know he wasn't the director...but he still participated in the movie. At least Heath Ledger has the excuse of being an upstart in America and needing any work he could get.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #1858
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I know he wasn't the director...but he still participated in the movie. At least Heath Ledger has the excuse of being an upstart in America and needing any work he could get.
Yeah, you're not kidding. Ha ha. That movie was such a joke. The only things I got slight enjoyment out of in the movie were Tom Wilkinson (one of my favorite actors) as Cornwallis, and the fact that it made the French into saviors of the day. Many Americans despise the French, so I like to see the looks on their faces when a recent film reminds them that if it wasn't for the French, we wouldn't have the country we have today. Which, ironically, probably makes the French wish they had never lifted a finger in the first place.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #1859
is not wierd

I thought everyone loved America and we're the best and everybody should be like us.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #1860
The Impostor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Now, now... Many celebrities have made mistakes, and some are even worth despising, but does this mean we should criticize their work without giving it a chance first?
Actually, I was simply pointing out that he hasn't got the greatest track record when it comes to historical accuracy, and I wasn't judging the film in the least. (Originally I just mentioned Braveheart.) But this is certainly an interesting issue. Personally, I would judge Apocalypto on its own merit if I were to see it (I won't, though), and I have no problem watching Woody Allen or Polanski films, but when you get to someone like Gary Glitter, it all becomes a little murkier. Well, Gary Glitter would be rubbish even if he didn't punch severely below his weight, but you get my point. An interesting example to use (well, borrow, as other people have pointed this out) is Marvin Gaye, whose song, "What's Going On?", addressed the world's problems with a strong social conscience. You may even hear it on the radio one day and, touched by its message, ask yourself, "Yeah, what is going on?". Then, of course, you learn that he ritually beat his wife around the time the song was recorded, and thus wonder what authority a wife-beater has of asking what's wrong with the world. Perhaps his dad took the notion of "poetic justice" a bit too far, but it's still a legitimate question even now.

Someone like Phil Spector would be easier to stomach in a situation like this, as he never (as far as I know) expressed the ills of murder in his work and was only a behind-the-scenes songwriter (you could ignore the production and focus on the performance if it was really bugging you), but it will still make people uncomfortable when approaching his work. In such extreme cases (and even in non-extreme ones), it's hard to get rid of that back-of-the-head tainting. Then again, I guess now we know that Pete Townshend really does know what it's like to be the bad man.