You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #2241
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Lies.Inc

I really, really hope this film never ever gets released in an english speaking country.. A French director and french crew making a futuristic movie with Norwegian actors speaking English.. What the hell were they thinking?!?

There are actually quite a few norwegians that can talk english here in Norway, but they apparently managed to hire all the actors they could find that couldn't.. One person spoke near good english in this movie, and she had three lines!

An other thing that really bothered me, was that the person who had written the script, couldn't write english either! Several of the sentences where wrong, and they often used the wrong words etc. If it hadn't had norwegian text I would probably have lost half the dialogue, both because of their horrible pronunciations, and the way the sentences was built up.

I understand that this is a B-movie, but putting it in Oslo with just a few small cd-disks and flashing lights as props doesn't really make it especially futuristic. I also felt that it wasn't especially clear on what message it wanted to convey..

I'm really embarrassed that this movie could be viewed by english speaking ppl.

We laughed us through it..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #2242
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Music & Lyrics

OMFG! The intro movie is so cheessssy pop its just a classic, but after the very funny intro your in for a pretty nice romcom, Drew Barrymore fit this role really well. Its got so much dry humour in this film, you'll laugh out loud every 10 minutes, no lie.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #2243
Party On Dudes

The Sleepover

extremely corny film about some fourteen year old girls who have a sleep over and risk their lives and their status to win a lunch spot in high school. i had to watch a Pedro Almodovar film afterwards (Law of Desire) to wipe out the previous films presence in my brain.

god bless that man, and for anyone who doesn't know who he is, he directed 'Volver' and also has three boxsets aailable to purchase from hmv/virgin/thenet that pretty much span his entire work. one of the best directors ever in my opinion.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #2244
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Oh well, I didn't watch Dune Extended edition today like I was supposed to, but what I did watch was awesome.

Where the Buffalo Roam (1980) starring Bill Murray as Hunter S. Thompson. I really need to read Thompson's books someday, his gonzo-writing seems very interesting.

I also watched The Hobbit (1977) animated movie, I've been meaning to watch that for the past four years, but now today I finally managed to actually go and watch it. Good movie, I like the crazy songs.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #2245

Top Secret! - didn't really make me laugh. Maybe I've seen too many of these sorts of movies, because they tend to reuse jokes.

On another note, could someone tell me if I should see Pan's Labyrinth? I've heard it's somewhat gory, so I've been hesitant to see it. If it's just a few scenes and short, I think I'd be okay with it.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:09 AM   #2246
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I just started my morning with The Punisher - Extended edition.

I'm still thinking it's one of the best comic book movies made to this day.
It's maybe the best Marvel movie so far.

Thomas Jane is perfect for Frank Castle's role.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:07 AM   #2247
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice", the BBC production.

I had a good time laughing at Colin Firth as he steps out of the pond with a wet shirt.

And otherwise, it was pretty nice.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 AM   #2248
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe View Post
Top Secret! - didn't really make me laugh. Maybe I've seen too many of these sorts of movies, because they tend to reuse jokes.

On another note, could someone tell me if I should see Pan's Labyrinth? I've heard it's somewhat gory, so I've been hesitant to see it. If it's just a few scenes and short, I think I'd be okay with it.
Their just a few scenes that dont go on for too long. I think the worse scene that made me cringe was when
Spoiler:
the general beat up this farmer's face with a bear bottle and you see his whole nose being smashed in his face.
But the rest is pretty much fantasy-ish horror.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 03-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #2249
Psychonaut

Ghost Rider

Sadly I went to see Ghost Rider today.

I expected it to suck.

And it pretty much did.

I had some moments if you didn't look too closly at the plotholes. The SFX was pretty decent for the most part. The Ghost Rider and his bike in particular are very well done.

It certainly suffers from "origin story" syndrome in that it spends too long setting up how he became Ghost Rider etc It's a good hour before he makes an appearance and the rest of the film is about him finding his weapons (Coat,chains and shotgun)

It's a big, loud, very stupid comic-book movie and doesn't try to be anything else.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #2250
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Ghost Rider

Sadly I went to see Ghost Rider today.

I expected it to suck.

And it pretty much did.

I had some moments if you didn't look too closly at the plotholes. The SFX was pretty decent for the most part. The Ghost Rider and his bike in particular are very well done.

It certainly suffers from "origin story" syndrome in that it spends too long setting up how he became Ghost Rider etc It's a good hour before he makes an appearance and the rest of the film is about him finding his weapons (Coat,chains and shotgun)

It's a big, loud, very stupid comic-book movie and doesn't try to be anything else.
So its Elektra & Daredevil all over again?

_

Old 03-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #2251
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe View Post
It's absolutely terrible in this regard. I would slap a "watch only if you're 21" on it, if that, but there you go. I cringed and averted my eyes several times. But - I loved it, and I don't think the movie depicts violence for the sake of violence... they're well-placed moments of shocking reality.

I really do love the movie - I literally just saw it today (finally!), and it's quite the masterpiece (with the exception of a few unfortunately blatant plot elements, such as addressing people you see for the first time by their name, and possibly their relation/job). I would say: go watch it with someone you can bury your face into the jacket of without having to explain why.

Dasilva summed the worst scene up pretty well.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #2252

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic View Post
It's absolutely terrible in this regard. I would slap a "watch only if you're 21" on it, if that, but there you go. I cringed and averted my eyes several times. But - I loved it, and I don't think the movie depicts violence for the sake of violence... they're well-placed moments of shocking reality.

I really do love the movie - I literally just saw it today (finally!), and it's quite the masterpiece (with the exception of a few unfortunately blatant plot elements, such as addressing people you see for the first time by their name, and possibly their relation/job). I would say: go watch it with someone you can bury your face into the jacket of without having to explain why.
I happened to see it earlier today, and I agree with your post except for the "terrible" violence part. It wasn't bad at all, at least compared to what I've seen in the past. And it really was a great movie; one of the best to come out in years. It was both beautiful and terrible, and it was a real fairy tale. The escapism and ambiguity of what's real are what set it apart from other movies, as does it's refusal to play it safe. It's a really moving story.

And I'd say go see it alone. That way you don't have to worry about crying.

Last edited by lumi; 03-03-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #2253
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
So its Elektra & Daredevil all over again?
It is the same director that made Daredevil.

Mind you I think Daredevil is underrated.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #2254
Wading down the amazon

Send a message via MSN to makini

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Great movie
Old 03-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #2255
Second Degree Black Belt

I went to see the new "Zodiac" killer movie. I was better then I thought it would be. I would give it a "B". You have to follow the story close b/c of all the characters. Over all it was good.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #2256
gin soaked boy

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow for the second time. Still brilliant.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #2257
The Major Grubert.

Babel
Old 03-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #2258

Snatch - not bad, but Two Smoking Barrels was better. This time around the story wasn't as good, and I think this had too fast a pace.

Solaris (2002) - watched this for a second time. It still remains haunting. The music by Cliff Martinez really helps set a good atmosphere.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #2259
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Wild Hogs - I thought it was hilarious, so did the other three people that went with me.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 AM   #2260
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Went nuts and rented four movies...we were up till almost 4 this morning and I feel pretty groggy but here's what we watched:

1. Aliens...it had been a long time since we'd seen it. Typical James Cameron. Alien isn't my favorite Sci Fi franchise, but I enjoyed it anyway.
2. Ladies In Lavender...kind of a quiet, surprisingly unsentimental film that lacks the usual plot outlines.
3. Memoirs of A Geisha...Very interesting look into the world of Geishas, lovely to look at, kind of sad and disturbing.
4. Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas...had seen this one before. What can I say? Johnny Depp was brilliant, subject matter was hilarious in a very disturbing way.

Zzzzzzzz....so sleeeepy this morning.
We were going to watch Back To Gaya at the theater, but when we got there, the whole complex was shut down because of a power outage. Maybe we'll go back today...order some curry and go watch it. We don't normally watch this many films, but this weekend seems to be devoted to cinema..