Recent movies seen - Page 104 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #2061
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

After Crank was done, did you see the scene after the credits? Spoilers, below...

Spoiler:
It shows a little video game character-version of Chev running around, implying that either: a.) he's just in a video game (which refers back to his "cover" as a game designer), or that b.) someone took what happened to him and made a game out of it at the end, lol. I like the first idea, personally, given how outlandish the movie was.

I liked him in this and both Transporter films, hope he keeps doing this crazy action movies!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #2062
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I saw "At Night in the Museum" (Is that the English title?) not too long ago.

Very funny, very enjoyable. I liked the idea.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #2063
Aj_
Beyond Belief

The Illusionist, another gorgeous film from 2006.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #2064
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
I saw "At Night in the Museum" (Is that the English title?) not too long ago.

Very funny, very enjoyable. I liked the idea.

-
The English title is "Night at the Museum" (pretty much the same). You liked it? I understand it got critically panned over here... (not that I've seen it; it's not really my type of film, and as much as the idea of a living museum is appealing to the little kid in me, I don't think Ben Stiller is the right guy at all for such a children's-movie role. He brings to mind too many vulgar images to me.)
Old 01-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #2065
Friendly Server Admin

Steve Coogan had a small part in Night at the Museum, for any Alan Partridge fans
Old 01-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #2066
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
The English title is "Night at the Museum" (pretty much the same). You liked it? I understand it got critically panned over here... (not that I've seen it; it's not really my type of film, and as much as the idea of a living museum is appealing to the little kid in me, I don't think Ben Stiller is the right guy at all for such a children's-movie role. He brings to mind too many vulgar images to me.)

Yeah, I don't like Ben Stiller too much myself. But it was enjoyable. I laughed. And it was basically a good movie, though nothing ground breaking.

Still, every time I saw "Museum of Natural History", I thought 'What the hell is Ancient Egpyt, Attila the hun and all that stuff doing in a museum of *NATURAL* History?!'.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #2067
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
The Illusionist, another gorgeous film from 2006.
I just saw this. What a fantastically gorgeous film.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #2068
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I just saw this. What a fantastically gorgeous film.
I saw it in the theater a while ago. It was a great film.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #2069
Super Moderator

I finally watched Blade Runner-The Director's Cut.

It's one I'll definitely need to watch again. Visually very stunning and a great story but I did get confused on more than one occasion.

Spoiler:
I never figured out whose apartment Deckard searched and where he picked up the photographs and the snake scale?

Spoiler:
What significance was the snake scale and the performer (Zhora?) that he shot. It seemed she wasn't a replicant because she bled. Also, he had blown up one of the photos showing a woman with a snake tattoo that Zhora also had. I'm not sure how that fit into the whole story.

Spoiler:
So if the snake performer wasn't a replicant because she bled, why did Pris and Roy also bleed?

It had kind of a slow pace at the beginning but wasn't boring and it definitely picked up the pace later.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #2070
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I finally watched Blade Runner-The Director's Cut.
The guy (replicant) getting VK'ed at the start who shot Holden had the photos and the scales in his apartment. Deckard tracked the scale to the dancer (high quality replicant snake). How many skinjobs there are is still debated as its different both times its mentioned in the film. The way she took the bullets and plateglass windows in her stride, and her loving Leon (the guy at the start) make me think she was a skinjob.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #2071
Elegantly copy+pasted

Spoiler:
It was Leon Kowalski's apartment that he searched (the heavyset replicant who fails the Voigt-Kampff test at the beginning of the film and gets shot by Rachael). Deckard got the address, I believe, from Kowalski's job application to the Tyrell corporation.

Zhora was a replicant. Replicants bleed just like "real" people. The woman in the photo is supposed to be Zhora, but it's not clear because they used a different actress, in a wig headscarf. (To make it even worse, the picture he prints out does not match the image on the monitor. Very poor attention to continuity.)

I forget how the photo of Zhora is supposed to fit into the investigation. Does Deckard use it along with the snake scale to locate and identify her? (Ah! A look at a transcript shows that he notices the sparkling scales on a dress next to Zhora in the photo, which makes him realize why he found a scale in the tub earlier.) The whole investigation is somewhat haphazard. Harrison Ford has always said that his biggest challenge in that movie was trying to give some direction to a detective who never really does any detection.
The script is confusing, partly because the story kept changing during filming and even later. The shooting script was cobbled together out of several different drafts, along with bits that were pretty much improvised. Many of the different versions are available at http://www.brmovie.com/Downloads/Docs/BR_Scripts.htm

Last edited by After a brisk nap; 01-21-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:33 AM   #2072
Elegantly copy+pasted

Talking of Blade Runner, I just watched Children of Men earlier tonight. There are some clear influences, such as the animals roaming around in the city. No SF movie can completely escape the shadow of Blade Runner, of course.

It's a great movie. Not quite the transcendental masterpiece some critics have hailed it as, but a high-quality, serious science fiction film (and, for a cynic like myself, satisfyingly paranoid). The theme of erosion of civil liberties and the internment of illegal immigrants is a lot more timely than the implausible epidemic of infertility that supposedly renders us all sterile within the next couple of years.

Children of Men would make an interesting double-bill with Pan's Labyrinth, the last film I watched in a cinema theatre. Cuaron and Del Toro are buddies, and film makers with similar esthetics. Both their films are well written and well acted, and blend realism with a fantastic genre (science fiction and fairy tale, respectively). Both movies cover the hauntingly beautiful as well as horrifying violence. I think Pan's Labyrinth might actually be a masterpiece, though.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:43 AM   #2073
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

More talk about Blade Runner, isn't the Final Cut supposed to come out in the upcoming months?

The talks said that it should first come out in the theaters and then on dvd, but has that changed?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:47 AM   #2074
Psychonaut

Last I heard it was on target for a 25th Anniversary release (which is in 2007)
Old 01-21-2007, 12:50 AM   #2075
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Movies seen recently...Attack From Space, Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe, and the Incredible Shrinking Man. Guess we're in an old Sci-Fi frame of mind at our house lately...
Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 AM   #2076
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Snakes On A Plane
Enjoyed it quite much, Samuel L Jackson is always fun to watch. But credit to the guys that played the roles as bodyguards, they were really funny!

Der Untergang
Shocking movie, in a good way I guess, excellent acting done by Bruno Ganz.
This movie had some pretty gruesome scenes, like those in Schindlers List. Overally a great movie, and you will learn history as well, about Hitlers last days in Berlin.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #2077
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe
The 1980 Flash Gordan movie has, to my mind the best theme song ever. Little wonder given who sings it

Listen: Flash!... Ahhhh.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #2078
Psychonaut

Sci-Fi in the US is bringing Flash Gordan back as a TV series.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #2079
Super Moderator

Thanks Crunchy and Nap.

Spoiler:
For some reason, I heard skin job and forgot that meant replicant. Deckard had this look on his face that made me think he had accidentally killed a human so that just made me confused with the other two.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #2080
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw 3 horror films last night on cable, only 1 of which I'd seen before. The Devil's Backbone, May, and House of 1000 Corpses. 'twas a freaky night of viewing. I'd seen May before, but it was awhile ago...Angela Bettis is great at playing these awkward, shy outcast types. Ironic, too that she wasn in the Carrie TV-remake after May, as Carrie was pretty much the precursor of the outcast-young-female-gets-revenge genre.