You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #4041
Filmfreak

John Carter - 2.5 / 5

John Carter turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Granted, I had expected something atrocious, but still...
There's obviously a large amount of lore present behind everything in the movie (although they burn far too fast through most of it) and somehow I was reminded of Star Wars at a lot of points (including the music and a pod race). Either they were looking at Star Wars when writing this, or George Lucas was looking at "A Princess of Mars" for part of his writing...
The pace of the film is a bit uneven, however, and Lynn Collins is doing an all too obvious Xena routine (although I must say she looks good while doing so).
I really wanted to give this three stars, but I'm objective enough to know that it was because John Carter was better than I had expected, not because the film actually deserved it...
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #4042

Great Horror/Thriller/Psychological Thriller
Movie that I rewatched recently : Frozen 4/5

It takes place at a Ski place. Soon after they board a ski slope chair lift... the movie gets pretty intense. I don't want to mention a whole lot as I do not want to spoil it.

I'd say its a must watch for horror fans looking for something different. I don't have any desire to go ski'ing after seeing this. It's a indie movie. Some parts can be hard to watch, well they were for me. I had to pause it in one particular scene and leave the room for some air lol.

I watched it on netflix online, I think it can be a bit harder to find at places like blockbuster ect.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #4043
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlygirl View Post
Great Horror/Thriller/Psychological Thriller
Movie that I rewatched recently : Frozen 4/5

It takes place at a Ski place. Soon after they board a ski slope chair lift... the movie gets pretty intense. I don't want to mention a whole lot as I do not want to spoil it.

I'd say its a must watch for horror fans looking for something different. I don't have any desire to go ski'ing after seeing this. It's a indie movie. Some parts can be hard to watch, well they were for me. I had to pause it in one particular scene and leave the room for some air lol.

I watched it on netflix online, I think it can be a bit harder to find at places like blockbuster ect.
I saw that sometime ago and thought it was very meh...

Saw "In time" a week or so ago, nice enough, could have been a great movie, but they chose the path of more action vs substance. The premisse is outright cruel
Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #4044
Life and times of...

The new Pirates of the Caribbean (whatever the full title is ). Not much to say - not much new to the previous, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Then I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - fantastic! Really funny, full of little details and of course all the gaming references were great. A bit too much action for my tastes, especially near the end, but nevertheless, 4 stars easily.

Hoping to watch Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec tonight
Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #4045

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Hoping to watch Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec tonight
Don't get your hopes up. It's enjoyable it it's own right but nowhere near as good as the comic books.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #4046
Life and times of...

Never read (pretty much any) comic books (didn't even know this was based on one), so it was well enjoyable without any preconceptions about it
Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #4047

Quote:
Never read (pretty much any) comic books
*faints*

But Belgium had a real comic book culture. Brussels is known as the comic book capitol of Europe. I've been there a couple of times. You can buy them at basically any shop. So how've you managed to avoid comic books for all these years?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #4048
Life and times of...

But I don't live in Belgium. I live in the country that is a poor second to Belgium when going abroad

Sorry, it's hard for me to sometimes remember that not everyone is familiar with all things Monty Python - that is, one song in particular

Anyway, I appreciate comic books as an artform, but I've never really gotten into them as a form of entertainment (well, aside from Don Rosa's and Carl Barks' Donald Ducks, but that's not really what this is about, I know).
Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #4049

Quote:
But I don't live in Belgium. I live in the country that is a poor second to Belgium when going abroad

Sorry, it's hard for me to sometimes remember that not everyone is familiar with all things Monty Python - that is, one song in particular
Aaargh! I can't believe I didn't know that one. I love Monthy Python! I've got all epsodes on DVD. How could I've forgotten that song? That's it! Time for another rewatch! (now where did I leave that box set?)

Quote:
Anyway, I appreciate comic books as an artform, but I've never really gotten into them as a form of entertainment (well, aside from Don Rosa's and Carl Barks' Donald Ducks, but that's not really what this is about, I know.)
That I can understand. I don't even know what comic books they've got in Finland.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #4050

I watched 'Pontypool' and 'Mysterious Skin' on Netflix the other day and they were really good films. 'Pontypool' was amazing! One of the most original horror films I've seen in a while and would recommend to anyone wanting to watch a horror that's different from the norm. 'Mysterious Skin' had bits no straight man likes to watch ha ha! But if you can get over it the story shows you how sexual abuse can affect peoples lives very differently.

Pontypool:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226681/

Mysterious Skin:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370986/
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #4051
Filmfreak

Cloclo - 3.5 / 5

This Claude François biopic turned out to be quite an interesting movie. Since it's a biopic chronicling the entire life of Claude François, there's only a minimal storyline, but this movie needs to be seen for Jérémy Renier's star-making performance. To quote that other Claude François movie: "Ce n'est pas un imitateur, c'est une incarnation!". Jérémy Renier IS Claude François in this film. The mannerisms, the attitude and the looks are all there. Heck, Renier even looks SO much like François in this film (especially François in his 30s), that when the footage looked like it was from the '70s, it was hard to tell whether they were using actual archive footage of Claude François, or whether they'd made new footage of Renier and made that appear old.
Renier has been an up-and-comer ever since his debut in the Dardenne brothers' "La Promesse" back in 1996 (at the age of 15!), but now it looks as if he had always been destined to play this role. I was impressed...
The movie is good, the lead performance is amazing...
Old 03-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #4052
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLongy View Post
I watched 'Pontypool' and 'Mysterious Skin' on Netflix the other day and they were really good films. 'Pontypool' was amazing! One of the most original horror films I've seen in a while and would recommend to anyone wanting to watch a horror that's different from the norm. 'Mysterious Skin' had bits no straight man likes to watch ha ha! But if you can get over it the story shows you how sexual abuse can affect peoples lives very differently.

Pontypool:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226681/

Mysterious Skin:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370986/
Glad to see another kindred soul who enjoyed Pontypool. There is not a lot of us. If you _really_ liked the movie, I'd recommend checking out the book, "Pontypool Changes Everything". It's not an easy read, and an even more insane dive into the themes of the movie, but really rewarding in some ways.

Oh, and apparently we can look forward to two sequels, "Pontypool Changes" and "Pontypool Changes Everything". I just love the titles.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #4053

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Glad to see another kindred soul who enjoyed Pontypool. There is not a lot of us. If you _really_ liked the movie, I'd recommend checking out the book, "Pontypool Changes Everything". It's not an easy read, and an even more insane dive into the themes of the movie, but really rewarding in some ways.

Oh, and apparently we can look forward to two sequels, "Pontypool Changes" and "Pontypool Changes Everything". I just love the titles.
I thought it was brilliant and the acting was solid all the way through in my opinion. I watched it not knowing much about it which is what made me love it more because when it turned Zombie flick, I was happy ha ha! I'll definitely take a look into that book!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #4054
Filmfreak

Young Adult - 3.5 / 5

Another quality movie by Jason Reitman. Teaming up with Diablo Cody again (Juno) was a good idea because her dialogues are really good. Charlize Theron is brilliant in this, and the movie itself is very funny. In fact, it kinda reminded me a bit of Clueless, but instead of being naive-funny, this one is more awkward-funny. But it works.
This is the fourth consecutive time I've given 3.5 or more (Thank You For Smoking! was a 4) to a Reitman film. That's a great average, imo. Already looking forward to his next movie.

The Hunger Games - 3 / 5

A pleasant surprise: The Hunger Games is definitely less braindead than the Twilight series. I'm not all that interested in the books, I've been interested in the film for a while now. Despite the fact that everything in this movie is toned down to suit its teen demographic (there's very little to be squeamish about - even if it is about teens killing each other), The Hunger Games are at least able to maintain some of the social criticism in it (the District 11 uprising was the high point of the film, imo). Plus the acting is good: Jennifer Lawrence is the biggest talent in the new generation of actors (Winter's Bone anyone?), Hutcherson is clearly trying to sustain his career, Wes Bentley had a lot of fun, and Woody Harrelson always IS fun to watch.
The biggest downfall of the film, however, is that you can't watch it without comparing it to Battle Royale. And this film simply can't take that comparison - Battle Royale is of far greater quality and blows this one straight out of the water.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #4055
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
The biggest downfall of the film, however, is that you can't watch it without comparing it to Battle Royale. And this film simply can't take that comparison - Battle Royale is of far greater quality and blows this one straight out of the water.
Ah, that's very helpful actually! I will just re-watch Battle Royale then and see something else instead. Thank you, sir!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #4056
Life and times of...

Saw Sideways yesterday. Everybody even here is always talking about it, so I thought I should finally watch it.

Good movie!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #4057
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
Ah, that's very helpful actually! I will just re-watch Battle Royale then and see something else instead. Thank you, sir!
Lol!

Quote:
Saw Sideways yesterday. Everybody even here is always talking about it, so I thought I should finally watch it.

Great movie!
FYP
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #4058
In an evening of July...

Interstate 60

A great, uplifting road trip adventure from the 90ies, a great reminder that it's possible to make such films without heavily relying on CGI or targeting them at kids. Somewhat reminded me of the Back to the Future trilogy.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #4059
Filmfreak

Lock Out - 2.5 / 5
The good:
- it's not as close to "'Escape from New York' in space" as I thought it'd be
- Guy Pearce had a lot of fun playing a character that's so badass that every sentence out of his mouth is a funny snide remark
- a bit less predictable than I'd feared
The bad:
- it's not as close to "'Escape from New York' in space" as I thought it'd be
- Guy Pearce's character is TOO badass - it'd be good if he was serious once in a while, it can't just ALWAYS be puns
- a lot more predictable than I'd hoped
- the first action sequence has horrible HORRIBLE visual effects - the rest is ok, though

Battleship - 3 / 5
Surprisingly good fun, and contrary to what Michael Bay would've done, director Peter Berg keeps the editing frenzy under control so you can actually SEE what's going on.
Granted, the film is highly predictable, and turning your brain off is a prerequisite, but it was some good old-fashioned fun reminiscent of "'Independence Day' at sea".
Unfortunately, Liam Neeson has far too small of a role, and the charisma-less Taylor Kitsch far too big of a role, but you can't really fault an action movie that features multiple AC/DC songs on its soundtrack.

Speaking of the Battleship soundtrack: composer Steve Jablonsky (who also did the Transformers movies) made an EXACT copy of his Transformers: Dark of the Moon soundtrack, which in turn was a mix between the soundtracks of the first two Transformers films and Daft Punk's Tron Legacy.
But then again, that Tron Legacy soundtrack was so insanely cool that I don't mind that everybody and their dog are copying it.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #4060
Psychonaut

Avengers Assemble

Fantastic. I loved it.

Whedon really knows how to juggle an emsemble cast.

It is chocked full of fan moments, great action sequences and it's laugh out loud hilarious at times (The X-Men franchise could learn a thing or two). There are a couple of moments with the Hulk that everybody in stitches.

Everyone gets their moment to shine and the time between characters seems more or less perfect. RDJr lights up every scene he is in, but doesn't overshadow everyone else. Maria Hill even gets a couple of moments and there is one teary moment that will get you.

The after the credits scene is gladly only a couple of minutes into the credits and it.....HELL YEAH when's that movie coming.