You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #2081
Elegantly copy+pasted

I got The Devil's Backbone through Netflix after watching Pan's Labyrinth, and I'll be watching it... right now!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #2082
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Deckard had this look on his face that made me think he had accidentally killed a human so that just made me confused with the other two.
They're as close to human as possible for some very sad reasons (see Tyrell's conversations). Bladerunners tend to burn out in short order (those with morals anyway) retiring 'humans' by accident is not unusual, but Deckard supposedly never has. He is something of a legend for his longevity and skill in the job which reaches its end during the story.

I always felt he came to the conclusion retiring replicants is equal too or worse than murder. I dislike speculation that Deckard himself is a replicant by way of explaing his gifts at the job, I feel it weakens his moral journey for the sake of a cheap 'oh!' plot twist.

Avoid the 'sequel' novel 'Bladerunner 2' at all costs.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #2083
Super Moderator

Seeing the movie (and comments) makes me want to read Philip K. Dick's novel (I promise not to read the 'sequel' ).
Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #2084
is not wierd

Both the book and movie are pretty awesome. I'm axiously awaiting the "real" director's cut of the movie.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #2085
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
I always felt he came to the conclusion retiring replicants is equal too or worse than murder. I dislike speculation that Deckard himself is a replicant by way of explaing his gifts at the job, I feel it weakens his moral journey for the sake of a cheap 'oh!' plot twist.
How could it be a cheap plot twist if it took Ridley Scott decades to finally admit that Deckard was a replicant.

It can't weaken his moral journey if he, and all his memories, were designed for his purpose.

Note that he wasn't the only replicant to not burn out so early--Rachael was lasting beyond your normal replicant period.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #2086
The Major Grubert.

I watched La Dolce Vita last night for the first time and have now confrimed myself as a non-Fellini fan. (Not the first Fellini I've seen.)

His screenplays simply don't flow well and his tendencies to change scenes on a whim during direction/shooting only exascerbated the confusion of the material, which unfortunately just doesn't hold up today.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #2087
merely human

I dunno, Speck. I had watched 8 1/2 some years ago and I had a blast. < shrugs >

If you think Fellini is torturous, try surviving a few of Godard's films.

Anyway, last night...

Coma
Dressed to Kill
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #2088
is not wierd

Why didn't you like it? La Dolce Vita is one of his more accessible flicks.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #2089
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
I got The Devil's Backbone through Netflix after watching Pan's Labyrinth, and I'll be watching it... right now!
oh how i miss Netflix..no such thing in South Africa...I am pea green.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #2090
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

The Illusionist

Liked it, great performance by Edward Norton, and the end was great!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #2091
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Sci-Fi in the US is bringing Flash Gordan back as a TV series.
Really? I didn't know that...I'm getting quite fond of Buster Crabbe as Flash! He's such a perfect golden boy. To conclude every episode, Flash falls off a cliff or gets blown up, followed by "The End"..which of course keeps one coming back for more. I hadn't realized what an influence these old Flash Gordon movie serials were on Star Wars. If anyone is interested you can get these and lots of other old public domain entertainments free at http:////www.archive.org I highly recommend "Attack From Space" if you're looking for a good giggle.
We're watching chapter 5, "The Death Ray" tonight.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #2092
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
How could it be a cheap plot twist if it took Ridley Scott decades to finally admit that Deckard was a replicant.

It can't weaken his moral journey if he, and all his memories, were designed for his purpose.

Note that he wasn't the only replicant to not burn out so early--Rachael was lasting beyond your normal replicant period.
Scott has changed his 'vision' of the story numerous times. I was not aware of that new 'admission' though. I don't recall any confirmation in Dick's original short story. Its still a cheap twist, far better to my mind for Deckard to be the human realising the horrors of his own species and making a moral choice. After ending the life filled replicants, and falling for Sean YoungRacheal. We identify with Deckard, and accept the faults as ours.

The connection of the audience to that realisation is totally different (not as personal) if you make him another replicant being manipulated by the morally corrupt humans. We still identify with him, only now the guilt isn't so close to home. The faults, right down to Deckards behaviour lie on the shoulders of remote individuals (tyrell and the richer colonists) rather than on 'all of us' (including me - Deckard).

When I said burn out, I wasn't referring to lifespan. I mean't it in terms of 'can't take the pressure'. He's a legend amongst his peers for long service and skill, not just for living so long.

Racheal's VK test establishes her as the latest model in production and a custom job for Tyrell (elements of incest since she's modeled on his niece). Gaff's (BSG's Admiral Adama!) quote at the end about her not living long is great because given her unique nature, you just don't know if she has the hardcoded expiration date of the colonies slave replicants like Roy Batty. And it doesn't matter if she does, its more of a life than he has now.

The novel sequel fucks all that poignant ambiguity right up.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 01-21-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #2093
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Why didn't you like it? La Dolce Vita is one of his more accessible flicks.
Because it meanders without reward.

Oh I can see how it was fantastic at the time, but it's tired now. The movie star and beatnik stereotypes have been over done so many times now. I would give more measure for it not holding up (I love a lot of other dated films) ... if only it paid off!

8 1/2? I think it's been well documented that even Fellini didn't know how that film was going to end, even as he was filming the end. Sorry, that's just too much investment for a lack of well designed epilogue/closure.

Was he an artist? Yes. I've just had my fill of his works.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #2094
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Scott has changed his 'vision' of the story numerous times. I was not aware of that new 'admission' though.
See here, though it doesn't give cites to any interviews where Scott admits this (but I remember reading them at the time, a few years ago).

You're right to point out that this is just his vision of the story, which he didn't originate. But indications at the above site suggest that he had these thoughts during filming (glow in the eyes, unicorn origami).
Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #2095
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Watched...

Big
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
and
The Punisher (2004)

with my girlfriend.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #2096
Kung Fu Code Poet

Watching more cheesy old sci-fi movies with SnorkleCat later this evening. You know, we had a plumber in the last town we lived who called himself 'Flush Gordon'.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #2097
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
See here, though it doesn't give cites to any interviews where Scott admits this (but I remember reading them at the time, a few years ago).
The problem isn't to get him to admit it, the problem is to get him to shut up about it. As Wikipedia says "Ridley Scott is adamant that Deckard is a replicant." No idea where you got the idea that it took him decades to own up to it (he may have adopted an enigmatic silence in some interviews, but it was always his stated intention, as documented in Future Noir).

I agree with Crunchy (and Hampton Fancher, who originated the idea in the first place) that it would have been better to leave the idea that Deckard might also be a replicant as a metaphor, or at least ambiguous. In the director's cut it's pretty definitive, even if you have to pay close attention to notice it.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:32 AM   #2098
is not wierd

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a director about his own work. Just stick to the original cut (if that ever comes out on DVD) and never acknowledge the idea that he might be a replicant.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #2099

The Phantom Of The Opera (2004)

Wow Damn....
Old 01-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #2100

Send a message via AIM to guyver1 Send a message via Yahoo to guyver1
Default I watched crank again

but this time with my new women it was extra good this time cause she was next to me watching it we also watched texas chainsaw massacre the beginning it was okay I didn't really care that much for it.