Recent movies seen - Page 106 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #2101
DAVE

Saw Heat once again yesterday, awesomest movie.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #2102
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Pan's Labyrinth last night. I was disappointed, since I wanted the fantasy element of the story to be fleshed out a little more, and I definitely wanted less focus on the civil war brutality. I suppose you could argue that you needed the sadistic patriarchal figure and the gore to create tension and to balance out the girl's fantasy world, but I had a hard time getting into the story as a result. I think the political strand of the story, the freedom fighters and the politics of that, was completely lost on me. Plus, I hated the ending.

I liked the sequence with the eye-hand guy though. Just wish there had been more of that.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #2103
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Smokin' Aces
Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #2104
The Major Grubert.

And?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #2105
Elegantly copy+pasted

Yeah, seriously. What's the point of just posting that you've seen the movie, without any comment?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #2106
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Yeah, seriously. What's the point of just posting that you've seen the movie, without any comment?
Because, the threads called "Recent movies seen". Not "Recent movies seen and what you thought about them".

I did really like the movie though.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #2107
Elegantly copy+pasted

Yeah, but just naming the title is completely useless information to anyone else. I know there's a movie called Smokin' Aces. Presumably someone has seen it. So your post does not constitute communication. It's like you're not even interested in talking about it.

Sure, we could have a thread that was just a list of movies with no conversation about them, but it would be boring as hell. We could have a thread about... how many cars we've seen today, too. I mean, if we're just stating random facts without any intention of interacting, it doesn't matter if they're interesting or not, right?
[/rant]

Anyway, I would actually like to know what you think about the movies you see. How was Jason Bateman in it? The trailer made it seem like he has gained a lot of weight since AD.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #2108
Psychonaut

Smokin' Aces

"Narc" was a pretty decent film so I went into this with high hopes.

Funny in bits and has a couple of decent action gunfights, but it just looked like everything but the kitchen sink was thrown onto the screen with far too many characters and cameos to count making this film an almighty mess. I was hoping for a huge all guns blazing finale with all the hitmen and women descending and shooting it out with each other and the cops, but unfortunately was disappointed.

Good luck trying to tie all those loose ends up.

Bummer.

p.s for Brisk Jason Bateman was one of the highlights. His drunk Lawyer character was pretty funny. Shame he's only in it for a couple of minutes.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #2109
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I was really looking forward to Smokin Aces, but if its another mediocore action film I'll go for Dream Girls.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #2110

The Blue Lagoon (1980) - there were good and bad parts to this movie. It's hard to rate it much, because I saw this as a kid and nostalgia kept creeping in.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #2111

Send a message via AIM to guyver1 Send a message via Yahoo to guyver1
Default saw smokin aces and epic movie

yeap saw them both with my friend ryan both great movies but I think smokin aces won between the two in my opinion cause my friend ryan gave me some key points I should have viewed but over all i say you guys should go see them.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 AM   #2112

Just watched The Andromeda Strain on TV last night. Again.

I wouldn't call it my favourite movie, but it's definitely my most-watched. I must have seen it 20 or 30 times by now. Probably averaging once a year since it came out. Have also read the book at least the same number of times. There's something comforting about sinking into a story you know backwards and inside-out, especially when it's such a good story. It's turned into a sort of icon in my life.

And, do you know, I'm still seeing things in it I've never noticed before. I'm focusing more on the craft of writing now, and picked up all sorts of little tips last night.

Last edited by Davies; 01-30-2007 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Correcting typo
Old 01-30-2007, 05:16 AM   #2113
capsized.

Around the time of the Holocaust memorial day (27th of January ever year), there were some films on the subject shown on TV again. On channels without any craptastic commercials interfering, no less. I watched "La vita e bella" probably for the hundreth time, missed the "Train Of Life", which I had already seen too. But, more than four years after my failed plans to see it in the cinema, just as long after having finished reading Szpilman's unbelievable story and after having missed the movie's first three or so broadcastings, Polanski's "The Pianist".

T'was about time.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #2114
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
Just watched The Andromeda Strain on TV last night. Again.
Wow, I haven't seen that since it came out, but it left quite an impression on me. I've thought of it often since, but haven't watched it again for fear that I'd discover it to be cheesy and not the interesting sci-fi I remember from when I was a kid. Can you say Colossus: The Forbin Project

I watched Juggernaut (1974) last night for the first time. A younger Anthony Hopkins and Richard Harris, Ian Holms and Omar Sharif. I know it was popular at the time, but I never got around to it.

It still holds up, but was not as gripping as I had hoped. It might have been then.

Speck
Old 01-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #2115
merely human

Gonna watch Brian de Palma's The Fury very soon (came in today from Netflix).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #2116
The Major Grubert.

Netflix ROCKS!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #2117
merely human

Well, with the exception of the fine independent places in various cities across the country (Facets Multimedia in Chicago comes to mind), Netflix boasts the biggest selection of 'other' titles and genres. Blockbusters and similar mainstream chains are pathetic in that department (I never go there for fear of being associated with those who do ). I mean, I can (and have) rent Tampopo and High and Low one week, then Natalie and The Lodger the next week.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #2118
Aj_
Beyond Belief

The Virgin Suicides, very cool story, interesting style, soundtrack by Air, couldn't ask for much more.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #2119
The Major Grubert.

The Virgin Suicides is on my queue... somewhere. I have hundreds of films on the stack.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #2120
merely human

Wish I were in the mood to read the novel before seeing the movie, but I love Sofia Coppola's direction so I'll put the movie on queue. I already have Marie Antoinette lined up, and I own Lost in Translation.