View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #2092
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
How could it be a cheap plot twist if it took Ridley Scott decades to finally admit that Deckard was a replicant.

It can't weaken his moral journey if he, and all his memories, were designed for his purpose.

Note that he wasn't the only replicant to not burn out so early--Rachael was lasting beyond your normal replicant period.
Scott has changed his 'vision' of the story numerous times. I was not aware of that new 'admission' though. I don't recall any confirmation in Dick's original short story. Its still a cheap twist, far better to my mind for Deckard to be the human realising the horrors of his own species and making a moral choice. After ending the life filled replicants, and falling for Sean YoungRacheal. We identify with Deckard, and accept the faults as ours.

The connection of the audience to that realisation is totally different (not as personal) if you make him another replicant being manipulated by the morally corrupt humans. We still identify with him, only now the guilt isn't so close to home. The faults, right down to Deckards behaviour lie on the shoulders of remote individuals (tyrell and the richer colonists) rather than on 'all of us' (including me - Deckard).

When I said burn out, I wasn't referring to lifespan. I mean't it in terms of 'can't take the pressure'. He's a legend amongst his peers for long service and skill, not just for living so long.

Racheal's VK test establishes her as the latest model in production and a custom job for Tyrell (elements of incest since she's modeled on his niece). Gaff's (BSG's Admiral Adama!) quote at the end about her not living long is great because given her unique nature, you just don't know if she has the hardcoded expiration date of the colonies slave replicants like Roy Batty. And it doesn't matter if she does, its more of a life than he has now.

The novel sequel fucks all that poignant ambiguity right up.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 01-21-2007 at 11:35 PM.