You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 02:09 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That reminds me of a joke I played on one of my travel companions, and it backfired. On a trip there years ago when I was in art school several of us were walking in Paris during the evening, and Carole was complaining about the insane amount of dog merde on the pavements. I pretended to spot one as she was about to squish it and suddenly grabbed her and yelled, "DON'T STEP THERE!" She ended up screaming out loud in a startle right into my ear. The scream was heard for blocks, and my ear was buzzing for an hour after that.

On a side note, there's been some effort in this departement lately...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #82
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Sweet.
Doesn't show the best side of Paris, though...
Well, Altman's Dr. T and the Women doesn't show the best side of Dallas either. It's not all rich, big haired snobs. Well...mostly not. Heh. And the accents are WAY out of hand, it made me wonder if Altman had ever actually been to the city before shooting the movie...

And yes I've seen Pret a Porter, heh. My favorite Altman film is probably Nashville, followed closely by Short Cuts.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Well, Altman's Dr. T and the Women doesn't show the best side of Dallas either. It's not all rich, big haired snobs. Well...mostly not. Heh. And the accents are WAY out of hand, it made me wonder if Altman had ever actually been to the city before shooting the movie...

And yes I've seen Pret a Porter, heh. My favorite Altman film is probably Nashville, followed closely by Short Cuts.
I haven't seen many of his movies (Gosford Park, Dr T, Pret Ă* porter, The Player), and The Player is my favorite, followed by Pret Ă* Porter.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #84
OB

Quote:
And Sin City is one of the really good big budget american movies I've seen in the past few years
If you wanna call $40 million big budget these days.

BTW, a bit of news about Sin City 2 emerged today.

Quote:
Robert Rodriguez, the famed Austin filmmaker behind the "El Mariachi" and "Spy Kids" flicks along with this year's "Sin City", talked about that movie's upcoming DVD release and spoke with both Latino Review and IESB about his plans.

As we already know, Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino are writing a double feature exploitation film, called "Grind House" - "Basically they will be an hour apiece, and in between each film they will have fake trailers and a "Drive-In feel" and that Rodriguez will start shooting as soon as he is done writing it. The film will be shot in Austin in the Fall".

In regards to the "Sin City" sequel, the story "A Dame to Kill For" along with an original story seem to be what'll be done in the film. Finally, he confirmed there's no further "Spy Kids" film plans as the kids are now too big. Marv (Mickey Rourke), Gail (Rosario Dawson), Dwight (Clive Owen), Goldie/Wendy (Jamie King) and Shellie (Brittany Murphy) will all return. Shooting begins in January.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050803h.php
Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #85
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I haven't seen many of his movies (Gosford Park, Dr T, Pret Ă* porter, The Player), and The Player is my favorite, followed by Pret Ă* Porter.
Wow Ninth, if you like his work at all you should see Nashville and Short Cuts for certain. They are quite excellent.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #86

Quote:
Wow Ninth, if you like his work at all you should see Nashville and Short Cuts for certain. They are quite excellent.
Yeah, I've heard about Short Cuts a lot, but I just never got the opportunity to watch it (besides, I strongly dislike seeing movies on a TV).
Nashville, though, I've never heard about. *commits to memory*
Old 08-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #87
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I finally rented and watched Spider-Man 2 just now. WTF is my problem that I'm such a softie??? I was probably a fricking girl in a past life - eiw.

Don't beat yourself up about it!
I cried like a baby at the end of "Saving Private Ryan"

I was really embarrassed about it at first, but during a drunken conversation with my brother a few years ago, it emerged that he too, had cried at the end of this movie

Strangely, neither my gf at the time or his gf had felt the need to express their emotions so loudly
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #88
OB

I just shed a couple tears at the very end of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Does that make me a softy? It was the cat part......I promise.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #89
merely human

Quote:
Strangely, neither my gf at the time or his gf had felt the need to express their emotions so loudly
Wot the hell kind of girls do you and your bro go with that don't get all mushy now and then? If I were a girl I'd swoon at your feet to see you shed even a single tear. Hell, I'd swoon at you anyhow!

< swoons >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
I just shed a couple tears at the very end of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Does that make me a softy? It was the cat part......I promise.
I'm surprised girls don't chase after you for that. Or have you yet to tell me they did?

I got all mushy there, too. But not just for the cat, I got all choked up when Lula May finally admitted her groundlessness in herself. How existential of her!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #90
OB

It might have had something to do with that, too. The end of Roman Holiday was fairly softy inducing, as well. I guess I'm just a sap.

Girls? What are those?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #91
merely human

Quote:
Girls? What are those?
They look like us boys, but they [usually] have longer hair, got a pair of weird squishy globs hanging off their chests, and have strange plumbing that somehow acts all funny once a month.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #92
OB

Oh yeah...I think I was married to one once. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #93
Schoolgirl From Hell

Since I got back from Russia last month, I've only managed to catch Batman Begins in the GSC Cinema. It was really good and I really enjoyed it since I'm a Batman fan since I was a kid, and Nolan had managed to capture the right essence for a Batman movie and none of those silly campy stuff. Other than that, I watched Spanglish which I thought was really good and Thai horror Shutter for the umpteenth time with my sister, both on DVDs. Last I heard, Hollywood is doing a remake on Shutter. I guess they're really running out of ideas on making a good horror, if they're stealing ideas from us Asians . Hungry Ghost Festival is fast approaching, which means there'll be more Asian horror fest hitting the local cinemas and more long-haired female ghost flitting about and old Chinese grandmothers forbidding children playing hide and seek in the evenings.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 08-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #94
OB

The last movies I've seen in theaters and DVD:

Heights - great little indie film with Glenn Close and James Marsden(among others)...huge twist ending I didn't see coming

site: http://www.sonyclassics.com/heights/

Me and You and Everyone We Know - another indie...quirky romantic comedy. Pretty intense sex talk from minors(5-16 year olds) which was kind of uncomfortable, although that's probably the point

trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/indepe...oneweknow.html

The Island - Bay's best work. I loved it...too bad it's a flop

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Burton back in Scissorhands territory. Elfman's score is also great and it's good to hear him do an early 90s quality score for a change

Fantastic 4 - not too bad actually. Better than it deserved to be but no Batman Begins or even The Incredibles

The Devil's Rejects - brilliant, sadistic 70s grindhouse homage. A thousand times better than it's prequel, House of 1000 Corpses. Actually, it isn't really a sequel, and is simply another story using characters from the first one, so no need to see the other, stylish but flawed, first film

The Skeleton Key - haven't seen it but I've seen the trailer so many times I'm going to go ahead and say I did

Dark Water - looks nice and great acting but not a very good horror film. Great atmosphere, though

War of the Worlds - one of my favorites of the year and Spielberg's best movie ever

Mr. & Mrs. Smith - funny as hell and a fun little romp

Batman Begins - saw it 5 times...my favorite movie of the year so far

Sin City - saw it 4 times....brilliant

Crash - deals with racial themes and stereotypes. Beautiful little film

The Interpreter - stellar little thriller

Episode III - best of the Star Wars prequels...I liked it as much as Empire

DVD: 21 Grams, Raging Bull, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, A Letter to Three Wives, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Roman Holiday, Requiem for a Dream

Last edited by Orange Brat; 08-04-2005 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 PM   #95
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
War of the Worlds - one of my favorites of the year and Spielberg's best movie ever
I think perhaps even Spielberg would cringe if he knew there were people who thought his best work was War of the Worlds...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 AM   #96
Banned User

Quote:
I think perhaps even Spielberg would cringe if he knew there were people who thought his best work was War of the Worlds...
Exactly. I mean, I enjoyed it, but at the end of the movie I had so many questions that it kind of ruined it for me.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 AM   #97
OB

OK, maybe not his best movie ever, but I enjoyed it much more than a lot of people. I liked the vibe of it...esp. the first half hour or so. The storm, the first tripod emerging, that cool merrygoround minivan scene. I liked the way it was all shot and the look of it. It was like Cruise was just another person in the crowd(particularly the tripod emerging part) and not particularly important to the scene. Hard to explain, but my best friend also said the same thing. He loved it even more than me...called it instant classic and one of the best movies he's ever seen.

No problems with the ending either. There's really no other way to end it. We don't need another big battle, no more human made computer virii infecting alien technology. We got Cruise taking out one tripod on his own and the military blowing one up and that's more than enough.

I don't recall having any questions at the end.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:43 AM   #98
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Since I got back from Russia last month, I've only managed to catch Batman Begins in the GSC Cinema. It was really good and I really enjoyed it since I'm a Batman fan since I was a kid, and Nolan had managed to capture the right essence for a Batman movie and none of those silly campy stuff. Other than that, I watched Spanglish which I thought was really good and Thai horror Shutter for the umpteenth time with my sister, both on DVDs. Last I heard, Hollywood is doing a remake on Shutter. I guess they're really running out of ideas on making a good horror, if they're stealing ideas from us Asians . Hungry Ghost Festival is fast approaching, which means there'll be more Asian horror fest hitting the local cinemas and more long-haired female ghost flitting about and old Chinese grandmothers forbidding children playing hide and seek in the evenings.
I saw Spanglish a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The DVD comes with instructions on how to make that awesome sandwich he makes partway through the film... I can tell you now, 'tis The Best Sandwich In The Universe. I guess you don't eat pork and ham (nor Spam), so try making it with Bacon Quorn or another ham substitute (or turkey or something). 'Tis delicious!

As for Asian horror, it's waning on me now. Only so many longhaired female ghosts I can take. Besides, Ju-On was the best horror I've ever seen and cannot be replaced!

What's Shutter?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #99
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
I don't recall having any questions at the end.
That's because there aren't Don't listen to the heathens who try so bad to find plotholes and expect the movie to tell them things the protagonists don't know (e.g. where the aliens came from) and/or assume that everything said in a movie by a friend of a protagonist must automatically be correct.

*/gripe, whine, bitch*

In all seriousness, though, there are two camps in this as far as I see it. Those who are determined to stick to their version that the movie is full of loopholes, and those who have somehow managed to fill in what the movie does not say (or do not ask those questions in the first place), and find it perfectly sane and inspiring.

It's hard to outline them without supporting my side. *banners fly reading: "War of the Worlds has no plotholes, you morons!"*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #100
OB

I don't really understand some of the reviews I read where they took what the Tim Robbins character said seriously. How would he know there are more coming and how would he know they buried the machines 1 million years ago? He doesn't...he was an insane child molester. Regardless, some reviews ran with it and used it against it for some reason.