You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #1081
Lovable rogue

Well the whole story is rather convoluted. Caleb likes Gwen but Gwen won't give him the time of day, so Caleb's roommate Kyle (Jim Verraros - the gay guy from the first season of American Idol) tells Gwen that Caleb is gay - under the principle that women like gay men. Sure enough it works, Gwen starts chatting with Caleb, and he decides to play along. Unfortunately it backfires when Gwen decides to set Caleb up with her best friend Marc (Ryan Carnes), who it just so happens Kyle has a crush on. Kyle convinces Caleb to go along with it as he believes he has a plan which will end in them both getting what they desire.

Absurd? - Yes. The entire thing is ridiculous, which is precisely why it works.

Insulting? - No. The people at The Advocate apparently liked it, and it won awards at two Gay & Lesbian film festivals, if that's any indicator of it's non-offensive nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
what gay guy would go out with anyone more than once who didn't "put out"?
Who says he didn't "put out?"
What concerns me about that comment is, who "puts out" after only one date? I hope there isn't actually some expectation of that, as I certainly wouldn't, just seems a little slutty to me. I want to get to know someone before they're getting their hands in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
And what straight woman would date a guy who'd previously dated her gay male best friend?
Spoiler:
Well the ending is rather contrived, but when the woman discovers the truth she is so flattered that someone would go to all that effort for her, that she agrees go out with him.

I liked it, it was just a fun lighthearted film that made me giggle.
You can find out what other people thought here.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Last edited by Jatsie; 04-11-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #1082
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Ice Age 2!

I have to say, the scene with the singing vultures is only topped by the Nuns doing synchronised swimming in the Spanish Inquisition scene from Mel Brooks' "History of the World part 1". Oh, and I believe the dolphin's "So long and Thanks for all the Fish" song from the H2G2 movie is about equal, I think.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #1083
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Well the whole story is incredibly convoluted. Caleb likes Gwen but Gwen won't give him the time of day, so Caleb's roommate Kyle (Jim Verraros - the gay guy from the first season of American Idol) tells Gwen that Caleb is gay - under the principle that women like gay men. Sure enough it works, Gwen starts chatting with Caleb, and he decides to play along. Unfortunately it backfires when Gwen decides to set Caleb up with her best friend Marc (Ryan Carnes), who it just so happens Kyle has a crush on. Kyle convinces Caleb to go along with it as he believes he has a plan which will end in them both getting what they desire.

Absurd? - Yes. The entire thing is ridiculous, which is precisely why it works.

Insulting? - No. The people at The Advocate apparently liked it, and it won awards at two Gay & Lesbian film festivals, if that's any indicator of it's non-offensive nature.
Oh. Well then. That's different.

Quote:
Who says he didn't "put out?"
What concerns me about that comment is, who "puts out" after only one date? I hope there isn't actually some expectation of that, as I certainly wouldn't, just seems a little slutty to me. I want to get to know someone before they're getting their hands in my pants.
Oops! I was on a self-righteous roll and got a bit carried away. There are plenty of us who don't "put out" on the first date.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Well the ending is rather silly/unlikely, but when the woman discovers the truth she is so flattered that someone would go to all that effort for her, that she agrees go out with him.

I liked it, it was just a fun lighthearted film that made me giggle.
You can find out what other people thought here.
Okay, after your more in-depth description of the story, I'm willing to concede that this movie might be a huge improvement on "The Pajama Game".

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 04-11-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #1084
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I thought I'd watch the Director's Cut version of the original Alien today.

I liked this far more than the last time I watched it. And not because it was the DC. Maybe I just like it more in the context of having seen the other films in the series since.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #1085
Explorer of the uncharted

Serenity: Best Science-fantasy i've seen in ages. Not without it's faults, tough.

The Shining: The trailer lied!

Spoiler:
Just kidding, this was like the 5th time i've seen it. I find it hilarius tough ^^
Old 04-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #1086
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I continue to believe the statement "People should not be afraid of their government, but the government should be afraid of their people" (or how it is in the original wording) is hogwash, especially since if the government is afraid of the people, it is more likely IMO to do censorship. Afterall, why censor if you're not afraid people will say something that could cause your downfall?
I think you're taking that quote a little too literally. The point is that the people should be in control of the government, not the other way around. People 'in power' in the government should be aware that if what they're doing is not in the genuine best interest of the people (for instance, telling them what they're allowed to think/say/express is not in their best interest) they will be replaced. Too often people turn the government into an amorphous "they" who, due to being an amorphous "they," have the power to decide the rules of these peoples lives, which is extremely deperssing when the people are the ones who elected them in the first place as their representitave. If something in the government isn't working, the people shouldn't be afraid to change it - it's their government after all! (and likewise, if someone in power is doing something abusive, they should be afraid that they will get caught and thrown out - can you say that's the case with a particular current president? is he afraid of his people?)

That said, I think the film missed the mark of the original comic a bit. The film seems to be about how being a freedom fighter is where it's at, and how violence is totally necessary, when the comic wasn't about a side so much and was just sort of about how one end of the spectrum creates the other, and the inevitable conclusion.

--

Also, as an aside, Primer is indeed a great movie.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #1087
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I absolutely loved Eternal Sunshine and absolutely hated Cube. Does that mean I'd be kinda meh towards Primer?
Clearly, I've been spending almost a week pondering this question.

No, I think if you like either movie, there's a good chance you'll appreciate Primer. While I have no idea why you don't like Cube, the possibilities I can think of (poor acting, focus on action/suspense, reality show-like concept, reliance on character stereotypes and story structure) don't really apply to Primer. They're both high-concept, low-budget science fiction movies that work out an idea to its logical conclusion and smallest detail, and they both leave a number of questions unanswered at the end. That's why I saw some similarity between them.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #1088

I watched XXX and The Fast and the Furious just to see if they were as bad as people said. While they were bad, they weren't as bad as I was expecting. They could have been okay if they didn't take themselves too seriously. The over-the-top elements were fine.

I also watched Dude, Where's My Car?. It was bad in a good way.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #1089
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I think you're taking that quote a little too literally.
And I think the quote is taking itself too literally when tossed about in-character - hence why I oppose it. The first part is always true and good and right - the second part is hogwash and nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The point is that the people should be in control of the government, not the other way around.
Yes, that's a good point to make - but the quote does not make it. I find that's quite clearly the case, but nonetheless, that's my opinion. Obviously, you don't share it, which is fine.

Maybe I should have added that I am opposed to the quotation as it is (actually), and as it is presented (actually), and as it is carried and meant (IMO); and nothing else. Because I most certainly support statements demanding that the government respects (to the utmost) the people that elected it. However, again, I want to stress I don't think this quotation, as it is in the movie, is supposed to mean that. At all.

Perhaps it meant it in the comic, which I haven't read - but as you pointed out, the movie is far too much about violence as that the phrase used therein could pass as what you describe. Again, IMO.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #1090
Citizen of Bizarro World

I agree that it was an oversimplified statement that can be understood in several ways. That said, I thought that the movie did a good job of portraying a government which rules by fear. It instills fear into the people to keep control. V simply said that it should be the other way around. The people should be in control, and the government should do everything it can to appease them (out of fear of falling out of grace). It sounds like the basic democtratic principle. Now the reality of democracy in the country I live in may be different, but the ideal's there.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #1091
is not wierd

I just watched the Steven Soderbergh version of Solaris. I had already seen the Tarkovsky film, which I absolutely loved so I was pretty much expecting to feel let down by this "remake" (which I don't think actually is. I remember reading that Lem was displeased with Tarkovsky's adaptation of his book) compared to the 70s version.

Wow. I actually was transfixed on the screen for the whole 100 minutes and never wanted to turn away. I love when a science fiction film can be so engrossing and so atmospheric. This one's going up with 2001 and, ironically, the Tarkovsky Solaris as my favorite sci-fis (Blade Runner, The Man Who fell to Earth also in there).

Event Horizon is coming in a new 2-disc set tomorrow in the States. I'm thinking of buying it, although I don't remember the movie itself too well...
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #1092

Yeah Soderbergh's Solaris is pretty good, and so veryyy different from the loads of crapy sci-fi films out there, the acting's top-notch too, and I love how he injected it with weird "almost-claustrophobia".

The New World
. Amazing film, so similar to The Thin Red Line in style (perhaps too much so?) in its use of long VO'd pauses and serene medidative style. My only gripe with the film is (obviously) Colin Farrell but even that is only a minor gripe since he's not anywhere near as annoying as in Alexander. The Pocahontas actress surprised me too, very nice for her first role in a major movie. Very, very nice for a historical drama, although it gets a bit implausible at times if you know even the slightest bit of how it actually transpired.

Match Point. Awesome, just awesome. Woody Allen is clearly back in the game, and I hope his next movies will be as good as this one. The acting was very good as well, so much so that I very much hated Jonathan Rhys Meyers from early on in the movie

Rushmore. Absolutely brilliant movie. I'd been wanting to see it for a long time but never got around to it, so when me and some friends were in the video rental shop and I spotted this movie I just had to see it, and we all loved it. Man, Wes Anderson is a genius!

Last edited by jjacob; 04-18-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #1093
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Aliens Special Edition

Watching this so soon after the original has pretty much changed my mind; I'm no longer convinced that this is the better film. It's got a lot of good stuff in it, but it doesn't appear to have dated as well, and Ripley's increasingly gung-ho attitude came across as a little strange to me .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:00 PM   #1094
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Rushmore. Absolutely brilliant movie. I'd been wanting to see it for a long time but never got around to it, so when me and some friends were in the video rental shop and I spotted this movie I just had to see it, and we all loved it. Man, Wes Anderson is a genius!
It somehow never clicked with me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great film, but I still vastly prefer Bottle Rocket. Haven't seen any of his later films, though.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #1095

Quote:
It somehow never clicked with me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great film, but I still vastly prefer Bottle Rocket. Haven't seen any of his later films, though.
I had the exact same feeling when I first watched the latter half of it on TV, but watching the whole thing was awesome. There's so much 'detail' in a lot of the scenes, things you might not even notice the first time (as with Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic) that are obviously very meticulously inserted by Anderson (and the actors ofcourse). It's an odd film though, and you either love it or hate it (or something in the middle), so I can see your point. I've yet to see Bottle Rocket though, but I'm guessing it's similar in its love-it-or-hate-it-ness Anyway, perhaps you should go see it again, you might see it in a different light
Old 04-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #1096
is not wierd

I find it wierd sometimes that I love Wes Anderson's work Rushmore and beyond but didn't really like Bottle Rocket that much. The latter three are, as jjacob already said, just so detailed with the shots and the scenery and the acting so dry and funny. But Bottle Rocket, while awesome for a debut effort, compared to his other movies just seems amateurish (which might be its appeal).

I dislike how much of a cult figure Anderson is these days. Discredits his name, for me. The teenage cult movie culture at my school singlehandedly ruined Quentin Tarantino, Donnie Darko, Napoleon Dynamite, and A Clockwork Orange for me.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:49 AM   #1097
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Anyway, perhaps you should go see it again, you might see it in a different light
Oh, I liked Rushmore, I already said I thought it's great (the scene with the sawed off tree had me laughing for ages ), I just didn't love it. So there goes your theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
But Bottle Rocket, while awesome for a debut effort, compared to his other movies just seems amateurish (which might be its appeal).
You're right, I love it exactly because of its modesty, it's such a laid back, feel good movie. It certainly has its flaws - the motel part definitely drags for a bit too long - but I think it would've been great in its own way even if it wasn't Anderson's debut feature.

Quote:
I dislike how much of a cult figure Anderson is these days. Discredits his name, for me. The teenage cult movie culture at my school singlehandedly ruined Quentin Tarantino, Donnie Darko, Napoleon Dynamite, and A Clockwork Orange for me.
This I don't get, what do you care? Fine, you don't want to be associated with such people, but those are all great (except for Napoleon Dynamite which is shite), it's normal that the kids like them, even if they don't wholly understand them.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #1098

Quote:
Oh, I liked Rushmore, I already said I thought it's great (the scene with the sawed off tree had me laughing for ages ), I just didn't love it. So there goes your theory.
D'oh! Guess I'm off to rent Bottle Rocket, then
Old 04-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #1099

Quote:

The New World
. Amazing film, so similar to The Thin Red Line in style (perhaps too much so?) in its use of long VO'd pauses and serene medidative style. My only gripe with the film is (obviously) Colin Farrell but even that is only a minor gripe since he's not anywhere near as annoying as in Alexander. The Pocahontas actress surprised me too, very nice for her first role in a major movie. Very, very nice for a historical drama, although it gets a bit implausible at times if you know even the slightest bit of how it actually transpired.

Match Point. Awesome, just awesome. Woody Allen is clearly back in the game, and I hope his next movies will be as good as this one. The acting was very good as well, so much so that I very much hated Jonathan Rhys Meyers from early on in the movie
All agreed.

By the way, I saw Capote... very interesting. Overdone, perhaps, but in a good way.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #1100
is not wierd

Quote:
This I don't get, what do you care? Fine, you don't want to be associated with such people, but those are all great (except for Napoleon Dynamite which is shite), it's normal that the kids like them, even if they don't wholly understand them.
The problem for me is that when a movie becomes overrated I look at incredibly different than if it were some unknown movie with the exact same likable qualities. Crash (the Paul Haggis one) isn't a bad movie by any means, but since everyone and their mother started talking about it like the best movie ever (or even of the year) my view of it became harsher because I thought it was being overhyped. I start to like movies less when they become overhyped like that, unless I'm an enthusiastic supporter of it myself (e.g. Lost in Translation).