You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #2121
The Major Grubert.

I've got Lost in Translation as well. I love every aspect of this film.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #2122
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep View Post
[I've] also seen Lost In Translation, which I adored! Again, another elegant, unforced naturalistic direction, this time by Francis Ford Coppola's brilliant daughter, Sofia. As lighthanded and nearly invisible as her directing is, she somehow managed to impregnate this movie with so many metaphors of physical, emotional, and spiritual displacement, feelings of life as a clinical passage, and unfamiliarity as a kind of focusing lens that puts into sharp relief things we don't usually notice - or choose not to notice - when we're 'at home'. I could watch this movie again and again.
Saw it for the first time then. I loved how it left wafting images and impressions in my head.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #2123

I really want to watch that movie again now.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 AM   #2124
Grah! Grah!

I greatly dislike Lost in Translation. Seems to me like a greatly inferior imitation of In the Mood for Love with a less interesting version of Bill Murray's character from Rushmore awkwardly slotted in. I also remember the portrayal of culture shock seeming somewhat forced and disingenious. I think Christopher Doyle (I believe in one god, the imagist, the almighty, lenser of Hero and Fallen Angels) called it one of the most immoral films he's ever seen. Maybe I just dislike woman directors.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #2125
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface View Post
I greatly dislike Lost in Translation. Seems to me like a greatly inferior imitation of In the Mood for Love with a less interesting version of Bill Murray's character from Rushmore awkwardly slotted in. I also remember the portrayal of culture shock seeming somewhat forced and disingenious. I think Christopher Doyle (I believe in one god, the imagist, the almighty, lenser of Hero and Fallen Angels) called it one of the most immoral films he's ever seen. Maybe I just dislike woman directors.
1. It's not really In the Mood For Love at all. And I love In the Mood For Love. Superficially, maybe.

2. Bill Murray's character in Rushmore and in LiT are not that similar, either. Rushmore-Murray was an immature manchild. LiT-Murray was an older man struggling with a failing marriage and fading career. Also, it probably doesn't need to be said but I think both characters were created specifically to reflect, in diffferent sahdes, the Bill Murray persona. I believe quite a bit of LiT was improvised, anyway.

3. Immoral? I think you have to look at the film as it is from the perspectives of the principle characters. We see a Japan that is weird and memorably quirky because that's what stands out to the displaced Americans. What do you think they'll remember in years' time? Probably everything we saw in the movie. They poke fun at the Japanese not in condescension but in sort-of sad inside jokes, because they have nothing else to latch onto, or talk about. Even so, we see Charlotte, a little more artistic and contemplative, clearly affected by her trips outside Tokyo, and we do see some truly beautiful aspects of Japanese culture...but of course we see it as outsiders looking in. I dunno, I've felt like that many times even without being in a totally different country; as an emotional narrative it's easily one of the most affecting movies I've seen.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #2126
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Jennifer Hudson Ruined Dream Girls That woman can't sing, she just gave me a headack with all her screaming. It was a waste of my money and my time. Its a shame because the movie would be so much better if Jennifer Hudson was played by someone else. Beyonce & Eddie were good, but damn that screaming woman, I'm serious her singing sections in the film are like 15min each, non stop of her screaming.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #2127
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw The Departed today. Had gone to see it back when it was originally in theatres, but had to leave about 40 minutes in because of a family emergency. So went again today, and WOW. Great movie. But I don't see how they can be writing sequels to it...not a whole lot of characters left at the end, lol.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #2128
Hitch-Hiker

Lady in the Water Is a beautiful Fantasy Mystery film, I enjoyed it and Paul Giamatti played the role perfectly, it may not be everyones cup of tea, if you like fantasy & mystery you'll love it.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #2129
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Dreamgirls....Lady in the Water..
Well at least you're going against the grain.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #2130
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Well at least you're going against the grain.
Sorry? Didn't get that.

_

Old 02-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #2131
gin soaked boy

Children of Men

So I caved in and decided to check out what everyone's been talking about. I have to admit I went in very skeptical and expecting the worst, but it really is a fucking amazing film. Let me say that again. Fucking. Amazing.

Now, I've seen people comparing some elements of Half-Life 2 to the handling of the same things in this movie and I must say it's a very unfair comparison. I'm not going to discuss it here, I'll just say that although the game and the film share some motifs, the plot circumstances in the two are too different to ignore.

I also saw The Golden Voyage of Sinbad which is still good fun.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #2132
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I saw The Pursuit of Happiness about a week ago.

A really beautiful movie.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #2133
Kung Fu Code Poet

Rocky Balboa - not bad, despite the fact that Stallone went and Botoxed the hell out of his face.

Apocalypto - alright but don't expect any respect for historic integrity. It was more like an episode of Star Trek, but with blood.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #2134
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Lady in the Water Is a beautiful Fantasy Mystery film, I enjoyed it and Paul Giamatti played the role perfectly, it may not be everyones cup of tea, if you like fantasy & mystery you'll love it.
excellent film, as shyamalan's always are.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #2135
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Sorry? Didn't get that.
Your opinions for the two films were not what the critics thought, is all. Critics love Jennifer Hudson, and critics hate Lady in the Water. I haven't seen either.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #2136
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
excellent film, as shyamalan's always are.
The best part was seeing it all come together, how everyone had a purpose, but you didnt see it at first.

_

Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #2137
Retired Buccaneer

Letters from Iwo Jima - I loved the way this movie totally reverses the stereotypical "good Americans/evil merciless Japanese" dynamic of most Pacific Theater WWII movies. It's refreshing to see the Japanese humanized as the film does, recognizing that not everyone in the army was blinded by honor.

The scene where the American guard shoots Shimizu and the other Japanese captive is just as it should be--completely chilling. It's good for a war film to recognize that Americans weren't always saints.

Of course, neither does the movie say "Americans are evil." Even though Saigo the baker swings a shovel around at the US GI's he isn't shot on the spot as military prudence might dictate, but instead is admitted to the American line of wounded.

I also loved the symbolism of Kuribayashi's pistol: a Japanese soldier at one point guessing that he took it from a dead American's body; the revelation that it was in fact a gift from the US army at a banquet; and at the end the American soldier casually taking the bloodstained gun and jamming it into his belt. Amazingly sad and moving.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #2138
In an evening of July...

Le Grand Bleu

...for the second time. Majestic, oceanic, Jean Reno - the movie is awesome. So far I've seen La Femme Nikita, Leon (about five times) and Le Grand Bleu by Luc Besson; I love them all.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #2139
gin soaked boy

You haven't seen The Fifth Element?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #2140
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
You haven't seen The Fifth Element?
Oh, right, right, I forgot that one. Alright, make it three movies that I liked versus one that I didn't (although a few scenes were pretty cool).