• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04DaleOOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Are classic adventure games genre dead?

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-12-08

PM

So, the classic 2d adventure games are indeed dead Cry

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

No way. This year’s Mutropolis was an absolutely delightful 2D adventure in best LucasArts traditions, Inspector Waffles was lots of fun even with its pixels, also many people enjoyed Darkside Detective (not me though), Not Another Weekend and the new Larry game (haven’t played), last year’s There Is No Game was an absolute hit, and I’m sure I’m forgetting tons of other games. Just read the reviews or the news for upcoming adventures, there are so many of them released today that I lost count.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Absolutely agree with Doom.

The amount of solid, classic (2D) adventure games currently on the market, or on the verge of being released, is amazing.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

We have one AAA studio that makes adventure games and they sell in the millions upon millions. We have 4 AA studios that do adventure games and they sell VERY well.

Below that, we have the indies and they are hit and miss. According to one source we had some 170 indie game releases last year. Some classics in recent times like for example Kathy Rain and a few that are best forgotten.

So, not a dead genre, PlayStation and Nintendo sites report on adventure games all the time because they still sell well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I know there are tons of great recent 2D adventures but to me the ones that are truly dead are the classic point-n-click adventures of around 2000s that had high production values, specifically the ones that were more serious in tone or had realistic graphics. They had their issues but I truly miss that kind of adventure game. I think the only one that may come close is the new Syberia, but after Syberia 3 I can’t my get my hopes up.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

danigar - 29 August 2021 09:41 PM

I know there are tons of great recent 2D adventures but to me the ones that are truly dead are the classic point-n-click adventures of around 2000s that had high production values, specifically the ones that were more serious in tone or had realistic graphics. They had their issues but I truly miss that kind of adventure game. I think the only one that may come close is the new Syberia, but after Syberia 3 I can’t my get my hopes up.

As already mentioned, Mutropolis is amazing and absolutely classic adventure.  I found Syberia to be a bore and the 3rd one got horrible reviews, so not sure what you are expecting there.

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

darthmaul - 04 September 2021 01:07 AM

As already mentioned, Mutropolis is amazing and absolutely classic adventure.  I found Syberia to be a bore and the 3rd one got horrible reviews, so not sure what you are expecting there.

Well I’m a big fan of Syberia 1 and 2 but I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I was referring to games of that era that had decent production values and were more realistic. Aside from Syberia I loved Still Life, Moment of Silence, Overclocked, Black Mirror trilogy, Gray Matter, etc. Those types of games. I know Syberia 3 was bad and I have little hope for the new one, that’s why I say those games are practically dead.

I haven’t played Mutropolis and I’ll probably enjoy it, but it’s 2021 I just wish traditional adventures weren’t all just indies with pixel or cartoony graphics.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Brawsome is about to release “Warp Frontier”. It’s definitely an indie, but it has pre-rendered 3D-graphics and it’s not cartoony in any sense of the word. Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I do enjoy classic third person point and click adventure games like Gray Matter. I have 40 loaded on my new Alienware computer that I have not played and I am playing my way through as we speak.

The genre is not close to dead, I’ve got a few AA ones coming out in future I can’t wait to buy.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 04 September 2021 04:25 AM

Brawsome is about to release “Warp Frontier”. It’s definitely an indie, but it has pre-rendered 3D-graphics and it’s not cartoony in any sense of the word. Smile

This one looks very nice. I love me some sci-fi in adventures and while it does feel indie at least the pre-rendered 3d-graphics makes a bit closer to that realistic aesthetic I really miss. Thanks for the suggestion.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Nah they’re not dead, the genre has just splintered off into various other styles/schools of design. So what people consider the “classic” style is now sharing space with other styles of adventure games. Happens with every genre, there’s still a lot of classic Doom/Quake style FPS games being made (boomer shooters, as they’re affectionately called) but they’re sharing space with more modern styles and even experimental stuff like Superhot.

The thing that might make them *seem* dead is that most of the traditional releases are indie games and they’re harder to find out about. But if you dig around you’ll see there’s a number of promising games each year.

I’m looking forward to The Sundew, personally.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1468380/The_Sundew/

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

danigar - 04 September 2021 01:52 AM

I was referring to games of that era that had decent production values and were more realistic. Aside from Syberia I loved Still Life, Moment of Silence, Overclocked, Black Mirror trilogy, Gray Matter, etc. Those types of games. I know Syberia 3 was bad and I have little hope for the new one, that’s why I say those games are practically dead.

I scrolled through the screenshot database a bit and I think these games might interest you and everyone else who is after this style:

Saint Kotar, coming out this October.
“A psychological horror detective game set in a cursed valley in rural Croatia”. Looks exactly like the type of game you are looking for, probably closer to Black Mirror. Screenshots.

of pawns & kings, coming out in Jule 2022
“Nik is forced to leave all he knows behind as he sets on a journey to search for his grandfather”. Hello, Syberia? Smile Only with a bigger scope judging from the trailer - there are tropics, fields, winter scenes (with a mammoth?), some industrial and completely abstract locations. The developers claim it’s an “adventure in the spirit of Monkey Island, Riven and Labyrinth”, whatever that means. There are many 3D cutscenes, but the game itself looks like a fair pre-rendered adventure. Screenshots. edited Nope, fully 3D with a crazy flying camera. But it was a 2.5D game at some point before the creator decided to move to Unreal Engine 4. 25 years in development, such dedication!

The Night is Grey, coming out this year
“Cinematic point-and-click thriller, featuring hand-drawn animated characters, fully animated backgrounds and an original studio-recorded music score.” Looks like something in the middle - pre-rendered realistic backgrounds with cartoon non-realistic characters. Can’t name a similar game, but the animation looks great and creepy. Trailer at Steam.

Mozart Requiem, coming out this October.
“An occult plot is brewing to dethrone Mozart’s benefactor, Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II. Playing as Mozart (and how often do you get to say that?), you have just 24 hours to find the clues you need to unravel these nefarious plans”. I don’t know what to make of it Smile The premise sounds silly, the graphics looks dated, and they made it even worse by adding some frames around the screenshots (there are no frames judging by the gameplay trailer). I remember there was another Mozart game some 10 years ago, also a pre-rendered 3d-person adventure with some conspiracy thrown in, so maybe they are aiming at its past success, lol.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Doom - 05 September 2021 09:22 PM

Mozart Requiem, coming out this October.
“An occult plot is brewing to dethrone Mozart’s benefactor, Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II. Playing as Mozart (and how often do you get to say that?), you have just 24 hours to find the clues you need to unravel these nefarious plans”. I don’t know what to make of it Smile The premise sounds silly, the graphics looks dated, and they made it even worse by adding some frames around the screenshots (there are no frames judging by the gameplay trailer). I remember there was another Mozart game some 10 years ago, also a pre-rendered 3d-person adventure with some conspiracy thrown in, so maybe they are aiming at its past success, lol.

That’s hilarious. It’s like they said “Will anyone want to play a game about Mozart? Ehhh let’s just put in an OCCULT PLOT to be on the safe side. Everyone loves occult plots.”

Thumbs Up

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Thanks for the recommendations Doom, Saint Kotar looks interesting, it definitely gives Black Mirror vibes I hope it ends up decent enough. Also didn’t that Mozart game came out a while ago? Is it like a re-release or a different game? I know it got terrible reviews.

I know the genre is far from dead, it’s like PlanetX says it just branched out into different things. I certainly enjoy both the indie adventures, and big budget productions that moved into more narrative focused stuff. I just miss that dying branch of traditional adventures with high production values. But I know there’s a lot of great games out there and a lot that seem to get close to that feeling so it’s just a matter of digging deeper for those Smile

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

danigar - 07 September 2021 01:25 PM

I just miss that dying branch of traditional adventures with high production values.

Here’s two more games in development that you may want to keep an eye on:

Utopia Syndrome
Rauniot

Utopia Syndrome has a playable demo available, I recommend checking it out. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top