• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Players advice to developers

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I thought we as veteran players could make a list of things AG developers should and shouldn’t do.

The idea is not to criticise but to help out budding developers.

1. Make dialogue skippable

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

2. listen to our advices.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

1. Make dialogue skippable
2. Listen to our advices.
3. If you are translating dialogue into another language, make sure you get a native speaker of that language on your writing team, someone who is a skilled writer. What’s funny or makes sense in one language doesn’t always translate well into another.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

4. Save slots. Even if your game has autosave, I want a manual option. Aside from getting around the problem of corrupted savefiles, it allows me to go back to earlier in the game. If you don’t want to use it you don’t have to, but it’s always good to have there.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Make good games.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Make cutscenes replayable.
How often has it happened to you that you were in a crucial part of a game, a cutscene played that you HAD to see in order to understand what you should do next, and someone started to talk to you/the telephone rang/you had to pee/the world exploded?

Make ‘Bonuses’ optional!
I hate the thing that Steam and Gog often do: include ‘bonuses’ in games. I recently played Syberia I and II, bought from GOG, and every now and then at almost random moments an icon and the word BONUS! flashed on my screen, taking me out of the game completely. It’s excruciating and very very annoying and it takes much of the fun out of playing the game.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

A way to remember short term goals if you haven’t played the game in a long time. And I know the “journal” is a popular option but there’s gotta be a better way?

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

calligram - 05 August 2017 03:22 PM

A way to remember short term goals if you haven’t played the game in a long time. And I know the “journal” is a popular option but there’s gotta be a better way?

I agree - I often wish for a “previously, on *insert game title here*...” feature, wich would give a recap of the game so far, and remind me what I was doing before quitting. It should be optional of course - I don’t want to have to sit through a trailer sequence everytime I want to play.

I also wholeheartedly concur on the manual save solts. I like to be able to go back to certain points in the game, especially when there are multiple endings or branching paths. Life is Strange and most Telltale games were fully autosave if I recall correctly, and, while I understand the difficulty of allowing manual checkpoints with an episodic format, I found it quite frustrating to have to start over from the very beggining in order to change a sometimes hasty choice.

10 - Make action sequences skippable. They can definitely ruin a game for me.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-07-19

PM

OMG I absolutely ADORE the idea of a “previously on” recap when you haven’t played in a while!
The game could ask you when you open a saved game with an old date. It should be optional of course, but it’d be so cooooool.

And +1 for the save slots as well.

Now Playing: Disco Elysium (again) Recently Finished: The Case of the Golden Idol DLC Anticipating: Old Skies

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Do your own thing, not a consensus product people think they want.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tsa - 05 August 2017 10:51 AM

Make cutscenes replayable.
How often has it happened to you that you were in a crucial part of a game, a cutscene played that you HAD to see in order to understand what you should do next, and someone started to talk to you/the telephone rang/you had to pee/the world exploded?

Microids/Syberia 1&2 had this, when they had respected*** their-work/Themselves (1st of all) and thought (dreamed) of how magical the players would be enchanted by every single moment of their hard work, sleepless nights, and the anticipation of the appreciation that is no doubt coming as an absolute eventual reward of their dedication.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

calligram - 05 August 2017 03:50 PM

OMG I absolutely ADORE the idea of a “previously on” recap when you haven’t played in a while!
The game could ask you when you open a saved game with an old date. It should be optional of course, but it’d be so cooooool.

Did Cognition do this or have I totally imagined it?

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Make ‘Bonuses’ optional!
I hate the thing that Steam and Gog often do: include ‘bonuses’ in games. I recently played Syberia I and II, bought from GOG, and every now and then at almost random moments an icon and the word BONUS! flashed on my screen, taking me out of the game completely. It’s excruciating and very very annoying and it takes much of the fun out of playing the game.

Absolutely.  I’m sure many people love these achievements so I have no problem with them, but please have an option to turn them off/ignore them.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

calligram - 05 August 2017 03:50 PM

Have you guys played the Layton games. They have the previously on recap when you first start the game. I’m surprised that not more devs adopt that.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

This…

Oscar - 05 August 2017 07:47 AM

4. Save slots. Even if your game has autosave, I want a manual option. Aside from getting around the problem of corrupted savefiles, it allows me to go back to earlier in the game. If you don’t want to use it you don’t have to, but it’s always good to have there.

and this…

Make ‘Bonuses’ optional!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

-MAKE a membership here, then act the way you are, and always been an-adventure-Gamer-freak, and please this must be before starting any of those “hey i am developer, and i am making this new adventure, hope you like it… ” shit crap threads/posts and phrases, unless you are Ron, Tim, or even one of the Williams, then better keep your thumb up you ass and make good games, and dont forget to ask for advises or any kinda helping hands, thoughts, and ideas, because at the end there are MONSTERS here you don’t dream to ever played as much adventureS as they did, so YOU will b astonished of how nicely they are (the total opposite of me) willing to direct ye to the shortest-short-cuts of how and what makes a good adventure a good adventure.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top