• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Are classic adventure games genre dead?

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-12-08

PM

I mean this year has been pretty terrible for adventure gamers. Besides Thimbleweed Park there were no big releases. Today adventure games are either horrible “pixel art” wannabes, boring interactive movies like the ones from Telltale Games or boring dark and gritty horrors. What happened to comedy adventure games with beautiful graphics like Deponia, Monkey Island, Broken Sword or even Book of Unwritten Tales? I really miss this type of games in the genre. Are adventure games finally dead? Are there any good games on the horizon?

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Basically the money, time and talent for amazing graphics is gone. The comedy, great stories and great puzzles are still there.

But adventure games were never just about pretty pictures. If that is all you want, visit an art gallery. Everything else about the genre is as alive as it always was.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-12-08

PM

For me the graphic was always one of the main factors of adventure games. If I want just good story I’d rather read a book. What are the new AGs you recommend that was released in 2017?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

From 2017, Paradigm and The Dream Machine should be up your alley. Also perhaps the soon to be released The Inner World: The Last Wind Monk.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

tom - 04 August 2017 11:24 AM

I mean this year has been pretty terrible for adventure gamers. Besides Thimbleweed Park there were no big releases. Today adventure games are either horrible “pixel art” wannabes, boring interactive movies like the ones from Telltale Games or boring dark and gritty horrors. What happened to comedy adventure games with beautiful graphics like Deponia, Monkey Island, Broken Sword or even Book of Unwritten Tales? I really miss this type of games in the genre. Are adventure games finally dead? Are there any good games on the horizon?

I’m sure you haven’t played all of these games:

Ace Ventura
Ankh
Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
Ceville
Day of the Tentacle
Discworld 1
Discworld 2: Missing Presumed…!?
Duckman: The Legend of the Fall
Fable
The Feeble Files
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Freddy Pharkas
Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Jack Keane
Legend of Kyrandia, Book 1: Fables and Fiends
Legend of Kyrandia, Book 2: The Hand of Fate
Legend of Kyrandia, Book 3: Malcolm’s Revenge
Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail
Runaway 1: A Road Adventure
Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle
Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Simon the Sorcerer 1
Simon the Sorcerer 2: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe
Toonstruck
Torin’s Passage
Touche: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer
A Vampyre Story
The Whispered World

Just pick something and imagine it’s a brand new game. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 04 August 2017 11:56 AM

Just pick something and imagine it’s a brand new game. Smile

I seem to remember a certain forum member praising Four Last Things as the best thing since the invention of the wheel.

Wink

Also.. Ankh, Gilbert Goodmate and Torin’s Passage as examples of funny games? Really? Mini Frown

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 04 August 2017 12:19 PM

I seem to remember a certain forum member praising Four Last Things as the best thing since the invention of the wheel.

I just looked at some older games list and pasted them. Grin

Oscar - 04 August 2017 12:19 PM

Also.. Ankh, Gilbert Goodmate and Torin’s Passage as examples of funny games? Really? Mini Frown

They’re comedy games, and they’re with beautiful graphics. And you dare ask for humor with the lack of games and situation we’re in! Infidel!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

tom - 04 August 2017 11:40 AM

What are the new AGs you recommend that was released in 2017?

Darkside Detective is hysterical. Way funnier than LSL or anything else Sierra ever did. Same goes for Paradigm and Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet.

Oh yeah, and Deponia isn’t funny. By the way.  Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

tom - 04 August 2017 11:24 AM

Today adventure games are either horrible “pixel art” wannabes. What happened to comedy adventure games with beautiful graphics like Deponia, Monkey Island, Broken Sword or even Book of Unwritten Tales? I really miss this type of games in the genre.

I know pixel art is not up your alley, and I am in the same boat as you, but please give The Darkside Detective a shot. It is a traditional,pixel art adventure game that is really easy, but still, it is one of the funniest games I played recently. Right next to LucasArts games in terms of humor I think.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Also soon to be released The Journey Down: Chapter Three.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, adventure games are dead threads are not dead! Yay

Plenty of recomendations already - paradigm , Darkside Detective, Her Majesty Spiffing, Demetrios and more

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Genre is broken,today’s market reduced to simpler,shorter formulas,titles you mentioned simply they don’t make them like they used to,time to move on.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The various Kickstarter games of the past few years have shown, pretty much beyond doubt, that traditional adventure games are not commercially viable (unless they’re made on a shoestring budget). So yeah, they’re pretty much dead.

There’ll be a few exceptions now and then, but don’t hold your breath.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

New releases . Just click the point and click tag

Concerning the examples, there’s a good chance Revolution is working on BS6, KingArts will finish the BoUT trilogy. Daedalic is more difficult to predict now but they did drop Deponia last year. Lucasarts is dead dead but Gilbert did just release a new adventure…

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

When a comedy from Wadjet Eye Games?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I wouldnt use the word dead. We continue to get very nice gems here and there. But the market share that the genre symbolized is not what it was and probably never will be. In part because the video game market is much much larger now.
So youve got a game like the KQ revival.. everyone talked about it. People on my social media who arent gamers talked about it. It got celebrity mentions and headlines. The first episode rolls out and its *beautiful* with top notch visuals, voices and design. It was reminiscent of 90s productions. And it commercially was not successful. Debatably episodes after that took some hits in quality. It made the case easily that this is a different era.
But the genre is not dead.. only different. And finds itself into many commercial borderline-action releases, and tell-tale-likes, with smaller budget classic-like releases popping up here and there. For example i am confident mage’s initiation will release this year. That is sure to be another treat like thimbleweed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top