• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is this much similarity allowed? Machinarium-inspired (to put it mildly) game Futurust

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fanotherpg/futurust

The futuristic world of Futurust is much alike our own. Intelligent machines created their own society and live within an industrial complex, while a wild and untamed nature roams freely outside its borders. Unfortunately, as time goes by, the more radical groups started blaming outsiders for the main reason of their societal problems - corrosion - and treating the Machines as bane of their existence.

Our protagonist – Rust – is caught in the middle of this conflict, without the will, and skill, to survive on his own. Will he join one of the sides or choose his own path? Will he revitalize the now unrecognisable complex or allow himself to get switched off - one way or another?

Am I missing something, like it’s done by the same group of people who did Machinarium, or it’s based on some same “universe” of Stanislaw Lem stories or something…  Mini Frown

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Hmm nope i dont think youre missing something. Hard to say if this crosses a legal line, but it certainly seems like its in bad tastes. Way too similar to machinarium to be ignored.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

He does reference Amanita when describing the game:
“A twisted take on the adventure game genre inspired by works of Amanita Design & LucasArts as well as various Sci-Fi writers because our modern society seems to be devoted to the destruction of Earth and Robotics are closer than ever.”

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 August 2017 02:48 PM

He does reference Amanita when describing the game:
“A twisted take on the adventure game genre inspired by works of Amanita Design & LucasArts as well as various Sci-Fi writers because our modern society seems to be devoted to the destruction of Earth and Robotics are closer than ever.”

That makes it worse IMO.. that theyv played machinarium and decided to mimic its style so closely.
But.. oh well. The goal of the kickstarter is to put together a tech demo, so theyr clearly veery early on. Maybe they’ll find more of their own look as they grow.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

You know its ok when MaxPayne can get a pass as Punisher

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Not sure how copyright works, but Amanita should have the right to sue this for copyright infringement. They mimicked everything, from the protagonist to the aesthetics.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

SoccerDude28 - 02 August 2017 04:21 PM

Not sure how copyright works

That’s an interesting thing. Even in music, contrary to popular beliefs of “similar” more than 1 measure, it’s highly subjective (down to judge and jury) to rule plagiarism. It’s quite possible these guys followed all rules from the book (changed the names, design just a bit…) and the plagiarism (if Amanita cares at all, perhaps they won’t mind this kind of “tribute”) is actually not easy to prove.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

This is nothing new. Remind me again how many Monkey Island/Myst/King’s Quest ripoffs have their been ? We love plaigiarism.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 02 August 2017 06:04 PM

This is nothing new. Remind me again how many Monkey Island/Myst/King’s Quest ripoffs have their been ? We love plaigiarism.

None in which the main characters look exactly the same.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

diego - 02 August 2017 11:17 PM

I’d say Touche had a pretty blatant MI2 ripoff in main character sprites.

Image Attachments

touche_mi2.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Blatantly similar, but I wouldn’t say exactly the same.

The protagonists of Myst and Rhem, on the other hand, looked absolutely identical.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Phlebas - 03 August 2017 06:22 AM

The protagonists of Myst and Rhem, on the other hand, looked absolutely identical.

Grin

I don’t recognise either of them anymore.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

main characters look exactly the same.

How?

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

When you add the similar level design and art style as well as fragments like the walking icon you get a total rip off. I read that Amanita doesn’t mind the release of this game as long as they don’t use their assets/sounds/names etc. But I think the only thing these developers will get by copying so much from Machinarium is the negative reaction of the community (especially Machinarium fans).

Seriously, even their beginning is the same. Laughing

Futurust:

Machinarium:

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

badlemon - 03 August 2017 11:57 AM

When you add the similar level design and art style as well as fragments like the walking icon you get a total rip off

All that also applies to

Quest for Infamy,KQ5,6,Quest for glory

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

nomadsoul - 03 August 2017 12:23 PM
badlemon - 03 August 2017 11:57 AM

When you add the similar level design and art style as well as fragments like the walking icon you get a total rip off

All that also applies to

Quest for Infamy,KQ5,6,Quest for glory

All these use an art style that had been well established by many titles so they are just following a general trend. And I don’t consider games to be rip offs just because they share a common setting such as medieval fantasy.

On the other hand, if you copy an art style that’s unique and emblematic such as let’s say Kentucky Route Zero (and on top of that use similar setting, characters, story etc.), then you are crossing a line imo.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top