• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Are classic adventure games genre dead?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2021-09-26

PM

This thread shows the genre isn’t dead. At least for me it isn’t, because I have soooo many games I haven’t heard of earlier in my life on my Steam-Library/Wishlist and I’m looking forward to play. There’s a good amount of games I need to finish as well.

Another game in development is “The Adventures of Bryan Scott”:

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2021-09-23

PM

zane - 04 August 2017 04:12 PM

I wouldnt use the word dead. We continue to get very nice gems here and there. But the market share that the genre symbolized is not what it was and probably never will be. In part because the video game market is much much larger now.
So youve got a game like the KQ revival.. everyone talked about it. People on my social media who arent gamers talked about it. It got celebrity mentions and headlines. The first episode rolls out and its *beautiful* with top notch visuals, voices and design. It was reminiscent of 90s productions. And it commercially was not successful. Debatably episodes after that took some hits in quality. It made the case easily that this is a different era.
But the genre is not dead.. only different. And finds itself into many commercial borderline-action releases, and tell-tale-likes, with smaller budget classic-like releases popping up here and there. For example i am confident mage’s initiation will release this year. That is sure to be another treat like thimbleweed.

This about sums up where I am with things.

The genre is certainly not as dead as it was in the 2000s.  The explosion of the indie gaming scene and democratisation of publishing via Steam and other platforms has really given the genre a chance to carve out its own niche.

Back when physical retail was your only option, classic adventure gaming just got completely pushed out in the battle for shelf space.  Not only that but even in the late 90s the rapid advances in graphical technology at the time meant that publishers wouldn’t even touch an adventure game unless it was in 3D - not always the best format for the genre (as anyone who has played Escape From Monkey Island can attest). Now designers can focus on the best format for their game, be it 2D or 3D and usually find a market.

The Graphic Adventurers

Podcast
Youtube
Twitter
Facebook

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Agree,genre is resurrected.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

hot take: adventure games have been the subject of a perpetual Weekend at Bernie’s-style caper for the past fifteen years.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Vegetable Party - 30 September 2021 10:26 AM

hot take: adventure games have been the subject of a perpetual Weekend at Bernie’s-style caper for the past fifteen years.

15 years? Pfft. Please. Adventure games died when they embraced “graphics” and sold their soul for shiny colored pixels.

R.I.P adventure gaming 1981.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Grin

Where does the purist stand on ascii graphics? Acceptable, tolerable or a step on the slippery slope to heresy?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The genre is always evolving, I myself like the variety we are getting today, classic point and click, FMV, interactive movie, VR, etc. Sure, indies are our bread and butter today, but they are innovative and different.

In the golden era of point and click adventure games, they made a lot of them and I myself have enough of them to last a lifetime and their graphics are simply beautiful.to behold, so I will enjoy playing all of them in my collection that are waiting to be played.

So, the adventure game genre is not dead and never will be in my humble opinion. When DS adventure games ruled the shelves at GameStop there were some point and click PC conversations in the mix. I bought and played them, some of them were simply amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Vegetable Party - 30 September 2021 12:45 PM

Grin

Where does the purist stand on ascii graphics? Acceptable, tolerable or a step on the slippery slope to heresy?

It’s a slippery slope. Using letters and symbols as pictorial representations obviously defiles the brilliance of their literary substance and risks the descent into muzak-for-the-eyes. Better to just keep our genre pure, don’t you think?

Did ascii games even exist in the transition period into graphics? (Mystery House, King’s Quest). I remember games like Kroz and ZZT but to my surprise they came out towards the end of the decade and early 90s.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I don’t know.. but I can’t really think of any example of ascii art adventure games (outside of the homebrew ZZT worlds), let alone games from that particular time, though it seems a natural transition from text only to graphics.

Most of the 80s ascii stuff (as I remember) is RPG/rogue-like. Adventure games at that time were text with graphics, or graphics with text, without blurring that line.

edit: I found this game called SLEUTH, from 83/84! Pretty cool, but also a seems like a rarity.

I might do an ascii art adventure game at some point. I’m currently writing a text adventure, I’ll see how that works out.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Vegetable Party - 01 October 2021 11:57 AM

I might do an ascii art adventure game at some point. I’m currently writing a text adventure, I’ll see how that works out.

Wow, nice!

Maybe we’ll be doing a playthrough of one of your games here soon!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I remember loads of ASCII graphics from Usenet posts and documents, sometimes real art too. Not from games.

Is this the Sleuth game you were talking about, VP? Doesn’t look like ASCII to me. But if it is, Bureaucracy also used ASCII graphics. Tongue

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I see char 2, char 32, char 219 and char 196!

I suppose the depiction of the boysenberry interface in Bureaucracy, rather than a text description of said interface, is a form of ascii design.  Smile

@Luhr: who knows! Grin I’ll certainly share the result on this forum.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 02 October 2021 09:59 AM

I see char 2, char 32, char 219 and char 196!

You see two invisible characters and two extended ASCII characters. In my memory (yes, I may be wrong) ASCII art confined itself to the well-known 128 characters. But of course the Sleuth graphics aren’t art.

I suppose the depiction of the boysenberry interface in Bureaucracy, rather than a text description of said interface, is a form of ascii design.  Smile

There’s no supposing about it.  Tongue

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 02 October 2021 10:38 AM

In my memory (yes, I may be wrong) ASCII art confined itself to the well-known 128 characters.

If that’s true then there may well not be any ASCII games in existence. All the games I thought were ASCII games used the extended set, for walls and different environments (water, grass, etc…). I think it would be very difficult to make a game using only the 128.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Karlok - 02 October 2021 09:21 AM

I remember loads of ASCII graphics from Usenet posts and documents, sometimes real art too. Not from games.

Is this the Sleuth game you were talking about, VP? Doesn’t look like ASCII to me. But if it is, Bureaucracy also used ASCII graphics. Tongue

Wow ... what a flash from the past.  I played this a lot when I was a kid!  And haven’t really thought of it since.

It was a Clue like game where you walk around and have to figure out who the murderer is and then reveal it to the group with evidence before they kill you.

It would actually get a bit scary (for a kid at least) when the text suddenly turned red and one of the sprites killed you out of the blue, haha.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top