• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When I entered the game into the AG search engine the only thing that came up was the purchase options. The game on BFG seems to be the same game described in your linked review. Although it comes up for me at $6.99. I can always wait for a sale.

The review is dated 2008. So anyone who has had this on their desktop for eleven years is seriously averse to playing this game.

I think we actually need a voting/nominating process. But if chrissie starts by nominating this game I’ll give it a vote.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I’m down for Sinking Island. By the way, Fireflower games is DRM-free and has the game. I bought Al Emmo from them before, and it was great.
http://fireflowergames.com/shop/sinking-island/

If I am not mistaken, isn’t BigFish also a DRM store? What’s the difference between that and Steam?

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Ah, it’s listed on BFG for $2.99 if you’re a new member/it’s your first game I think?  Code NEW299.  That is the same game at least.

I’ve owned it for a year; I enjoyed what I played of it but got distracted as I often do.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

SoccerDude28 - 19 July 2017 09:48 PM

If I am not mistaken, isn’t BigFish also a DRM store? What’s the difference between that and Steam?

I think BigFishGames used to be DRM free. The last game I bought from there I had to download some client, so I rarely shop there anymore.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

SoccerDude28 - 19 July 2017 09:48 PM

Big Fish has more responsive customer support.
Also, once a game from Big Fish is activated, you can run it directly from the game’s .exe without having to invoke the Big Fish client. Apparently “offline mode” in Steam only lasts 10 days before you have to connect to Internet again, making it worthless if you’re taking a long vacation to some place without Internet access (or without Internet access that you trust with a login password).

Oscar - 19 July 2017 10:18 PM

I think BigFishGames used to be DRM free. The last game I bought from there I had to download some client, so I rarely shop there anymore.

When I first started buying games from Big Fish in 2008, the PC versions required the client to install the game while the Mac versions did not. The Mac version had a direct download of the entire game installer and they gave you a re-usable code to unlock the game, which made it possible to back up the game. At some time after June 2010 Big Fish introduced the Mac version of their client and I stopped buying their Mac versions.

More on topic, I wouldn’t mind re-playing Sinking Island. I originally played the Big Fish version, but I’ve also bought the Fireflower version since that time and that’s what I’d be playing now.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think all the online game stores GoG, Steam, BFG, even Amazon require you to download some kind of client in order to purchase games from their site. BFG’s is one of the least intrusive to my mind. I also don’t automatically equate DRM with a client. Sometimes they go together, as they do with Steam. Sometimes they don’t, as the case with GoG and BFG.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Do you guys want to go the traditional route of voting for 2 weeks and then deciding, or are we already decided on Sinking Island? Either way is ok with me. If you like to have a tally, I’d be glad to keep track of the vote count.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 20 July 2017 09:42 PM

Do you guys want to go the traditional route of voting for 2 weeks and then deciding, or are we already decided on Sinking Island? Either way is ok with me. If you like to have a tally, I’d be glad to keep track of the vote count.

Has anyone suggested any other games though?

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

SoccerDude28 - 20 July 2017 09:42 PM

Thumbs Up  If you’re game to do the tallying SoccerDude please go ahead! I think the voting period should be open for at least a couple of weeks so that other games can be nominated & it also gives players involved in the playthrough of Al Emmo a chance to catch-up & complete the game if they’re behind.  Smile

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

chrissie - 21 July 2017 10:56 AM

Thumbs Up  If you’re game to do the tallying SoccerDude please go ahead! I think the voting period should be open for at least a couple of weeks so that other games can be nominated & it also gives players involved in the playthrough of Al Emmo a chance to catch-up & complete the game if they’re behind.  Smile

Thanks chrissie, will do.

The tallying will start today for 2 weeks, and finishes on August 4th 10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time. Please post any games you are interested in nominating for the playthrough in this thread, and whether you will be the leader for those games.

So far:

Sinking Island(6):chrissie, dumbeur, rtrooney, Headycakesofdoom, SoccerDude28, crabapple

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’d like to nominate Beyond Atlantis (Atlantis 2), which I volunteer to lead.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 July 2017 01:01 PM

I’ll play that one too.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

How well does it run on modern computers? I got all three Atlantises on GOG a while back, and the first one is pretty much unplayable on my computer (Windows 10, 64-bit). I never tried the other two.

I might be interested if it works OK.

(I realize as I’m typing this that I could just download the game and try it myself…)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 21 July 2017 02:15 PM

How well does it run on modern computers? I got all three Atlantises on GOG a while back, and the first one is pretty much unplayable on my computer (Windows 10, 64-bit). I never tried the other two.

I might be interested if it works OK.

(I realize as I’m typing this that I could just download the game and try it myself…)

Gog Galaxy doesn´t let it install because it says its not compatible (win 10). Its’s possible to download from the site, according to the forums it works with some work around and possible issues.

I vote for both games, a CP might be what I need to get back in the game

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Dealine for voting is: August 4th 10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time.

Current Tally:

- Sinking Island (7):chrissie, dumbeur, rtrooney, Headycakesofdoom, SoccerDude28, crabapple, wilco.

- Beyond Atlantis(Atlantis 2) (4):Lady Kestrel(leader), crabapple, Kurufinwe, wilco.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top